Epic Games receives strategic investment from Sony Corporation

DukenukemX if you’re quoting game sizes from that IGN article, it’s straight up wrong in at least some cases.

I just checked Destiny 2’s install on my PS4 and it weighs in at 99.86GB, last updated 7/7/2020. I would say that that is a huge difference from 165GB. As such all of those numbers become suspect.

For the fun of it, just checked Red Dead Redemption 2 as well. Care to guess the size? 106.6GB.

Booted up my Xbox One, I didn’t have Quantum Bream installed but I went ahead and started the install, I’m looking at the progress bar, 83.68GB. Of course that doesn’t include the utterly massive offline episode pack (75GB) but that pack isn’t necessary if you don’t mind streaming the episodes. Even with it installed though it’s less than 178GB. (Not much though).

Don’t own or want COD:Modern Warfare but the approximate size is listed as 154.04GB on Xbox, PS4 doesn’t list accurate sizes in the store (RDR2 in the store is listed at 89GB) but starting the download for CoD Warzone is 131.49GB. I believe that downloads Modern Warfare assets as well?

Yeah these sizes are huge, but some of them are outright lies of how large games are, notably Destiny 2 and RDR2. Quantum Break is more of a misleading size as all the content is not needed, and still inaccurate but by a smaller degree. CoD definitely is huge but as far as I can tell, still inaccurate.

I have multiple games on PC that are well over 100GB. Which is why I use a cacheing - something that i'm 99% sure the PS5 is using as well, there's absolutely no way that the whole PS5 SSD is at the speed shown off.

If you think $250 million is chump change then give me a million. Since COV19 all entertainment stock value has increased and another $250 million would go nicely to Epic Games stock price. Don't CEO's only get paid through stock? That's money directly in Tim Sweeney's pocket.

Also the tech in the PS5 is nice but when Tim Sweeney says that what the PS5 offers is beyond what's available on a top-end PC, when Sony is technically a competitor to Epic Games Store on PC then you know something shaddy is going down. A PS5 won't be beyond what's on High End PC today let alone on par. That's like Gabe Newell steps onto the stage and praises Xbox Series X for going beyond what is available on PC, and yet Half Life Alyx is only available on PC. It makes no sense until you realize that Microsoft invested heavily into Valve to publish games on Xbox including Alyx. The bullshit stinks too much eventually people are going to smell it.

He didn't even say that, but you want to hate him so you believe it because you read the bullshit that other idiots spread.

I play the game on Switch. As I previously said, FPS isn't everything. My Switch gets more use than my PC purely because of the strengths of it being a portable console.

You whine about aspects of PC gaming on a 720p non-PC device?

lulz...

He didn't even say that, but you want to hate him so you believe it because you read the bullshit that other idiots spread.

Yeah, here is Linus' reaction to the news on Friday (57m17s, should be queued there):

"250 million don't happen overnight..."

DukenukemX if you’re quoting game sizes from that IGN article, it’s straight up wrong in at least some cases.

I just checked Destiny 2’s install on my PS4 and it weighs in at 99.86GB, last updated 7/7/2020. I would say that that is a huge difference from 165GB. As such all of those numbers become suspect.
Game sizes will vary but they are large either way. Depends on DLC and etc.
For the fun of it, just checked Red Dead Redemption 2 as well. Care to guess the size? 106.6GB.
Not exactly proving me wrong here. How many RDR2 games can you install on a PS5? Eight, maybe seven? We're talking about games of PS4 era, not PS5 with 4k or 8k textures with Ray-Tracing. The 840GB size is extremely underwelming.

Why did you link a Linus Tech Tips video to prove me wrong? I've seen that video long ago. Sweeney literally said this.

“The storage architecture on the PS5 is far ahead of anything you can buy on anything on PC for any amount of money right now. It’s going to help drive future PCs. [The PC market is] going to see this thing ship and say, ‘Oh wow, SSDs are going to need to catch up with this.”

Yeah, here is Linus' reaction to the news on Friday (57m17s, should be queued there):

"250 million don't happen overnight..."

I love how Linus first bad mouthed Sweeney for promoting PS5 SSD as if he were paid and then retracted because... I honestly don't know why he retracted his statement. But then later on it seems Linus's first assumption was probably correct because $250M is not chump change. How does it go, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one?

I love how Linus first bad mouthed Sweeney for promoting PS5 SSD as if he were paid and then retracted because... I honestly don't know why he retracted his statement. But then later on it seems Linus's first assumption was probably correct because $250M is not chump change. How does it go, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one?

He retracted because he assumed it was purely marketing hype and looking into it, it might not be. It was a classy move overall, done to protect reputation most likely. He was hardly the only person thinking it was standard hype machine, especially given the source. This latest news, it sure looks like "strategic cooperation" hype on an unproven tech.

He retracted because he assumed it was purely marketing hype and looking into it, it might not be. It was a classy move overall, done to protect reputation most likely. He was hardly the only person thinking it was standard hype machine, especially given the source. This latest news, it sure looks like "strategic cooperation" hype on an unproven tech.
Might not be doesn't mean it won't be. Sony hasn't exactly been giving examples of loading time of games that we can benchmark. His move to detract from his skepticism I think has more to do with upsetting Sony fanboys and avoiding to look dumb if he's proven wrong. Sony fanboys do not take criticism very well as I'm just learning. Which is why I think he was correct the first time and why in that video his co-worker wanted him to not say more on the subject. From Linus's point of view, it's better to wait for the PS5 to be released and then you can benchmark it to see if Sony's SSD performance claim is correct. Instead of pissing off the Sony fanbase and watching as the PS5 does indeed have a SSD much faster than anything the PC has on the market. I think Denuvo is going to be the reason why PC games will be held back in loading speed as its been proven multiple times that it does slow the loading speed of games. Will be interesting to see if PC gamers will finally agree that this form of DRM is unacceptable and needs to stop once PS5 and Xbox Series X games get ported to PC and demanding faster loading speed.

Might not be doesn't mean it won't be. Sony hasn't exactly been giving examples of loading time of games that we can benchmark. His move to detract from his skepticism I think has more to do with upsetting Sony fanboys and avoiding to look dumb if he's proven wrong. Sony fanboys do not take criticism very well as I'm just learning. Which is why I think he was correct the first time and why in that video his co-worker wanted him to not say more on the subject. From Linus's point of view, it's better to wait for the PS5 to be released and then you can benchmark it to see if Sony's SSD performance claim is correct. Instead of pissing off the Sony fanbase and watching as the PS5 does indeed have a SSD much faster than anything the PC has on the market. I think Denuvo is going to be the reason why PC games will be held back in loading speed as its been proven multiple times that it does slow the loading speed of games. Will be interesting to see if PC gamers will finally agree that this form of DRM is unacceptable and needs to stop once PS5 and Xbox Series X games get ported to PC and demanding faster loading speed.

I don't care about the DRM...the perfomance "impact" are within the normal error margin / shrugs

Epic is more than just a gaming company these days, see the other threads on how UE is used in movie/TV. Likewise there is more to Sony than Playstation. I assume this announcement, which is super vague, is more about these technologies in general. Maybe a bit related to gaming.

i'd have to agree that it probably has a lot more to do with things unrelated to PS5.

SONY: tell you what, if you state how awesome and life changing our SSD is with fast load times, how it can cure COVID-19 and cancer and we will throw you a bone by way of investing in your company and other perks.

Back