Epic Games' next headquarters will replace a local shopping mall

erek

[H]F Junkie
1609787648756.png

"It’s not surprising that the mall owners were willing to make a deal. Like many shopping malls, Cary Towne Center (located in Cary, North Carolina) was already struggling before the pandemic, with retailers either bowing out or going bankrupt as sales shifted online. It’s only getting worse in an era where casual browsing poses a health risk. In that light, Epic’s move is a sign of the times — a company that made its fortune on software and the internet is about to replace a dying retail complex."

https://www.engadget.com/epic-games-headquarters-shopping-mall-151039557.html

The new project will mix offices with “recreational spaces” and will be built to handle the gaming giant’s “long-term growth.”

I'm wondering what that is supposed to mean.

Gives the employees somewhere to walk during the winter time. Those outside bricks need a good power washing.

Talkin bout malls is depressing, too many good memories when going to The Mall was like an event......restaurants, movie theaters, arcades, that luggage store that never seemed to go out of business even tho who, honestly, who went to a store JUST for luggage....!?!?....what adult was still buying steamer trunks in 1977....Babbages or Electronics Boutique (when they actually sold software).....hot pretzels.....warm cookies.......toy stores.....*sigh*.

Toy Stores.

Toy Stores.

e7f.jpg

Talkin bout malls is depressing, too many good memories when going to The Mall was like an event......restaurants, movie theaters, arcades, that luggage store that never seemed to go out of business even tho who, honestly, who went to a store JUST for luggage....!?!?....what adult was still buying steamer trunks in 1977....Babbages or Electronics Boutique (when they actually sold software).....hot pretzels.....warm cookies.......toy stores.....*sigh*.

Toy Stores.

Toy Stores.

View attachment 315891
I had a couple good friends which would all drive an hour to go to the closest mall. They had a comic book / tabletop game store, and an EB. My buds and I would pile in our piece of poo car and do a road trip on the weekend.

Highlights:
Saving up enough money to buy an Adlib card, getting one.
Buying OS/2 Warp, and having the person explain to me what an OS was, and why I wouldn't want it. Brotha please. I got this.

I used to love going to malls. Especially when they had an arcade or multiple music stores like mine did. I went to one with an awesome atrium & water fountain inside, they even let us race our remote controlled cars around. It was pure fun while always under the aroma of freshly baked pizza. T_T

RIP malls. This new generation has no idea what glory they missed.

I live in Apex/Cary. Yay my property values.
I don't think this will impact property values much. Raleigh and its suburbs have pretty much been on a non-stop sky-rocket for property values over the past 2 decades.

Usually when I walk through a food court in a mall, my stomach starts turning as soon as that unique foul food smell is breathed in, too many times a quick muche or lunch led to vomit or bad case of diarrhea. Hideous. When young, malls were a good place to meet girls or take them out so they can try to weasel you out of money for a handbag, shoes, cloths etc. There are some really good malls that go beyond the same type stores at every corner, water fountains, shows, galleries and so on. In Orlando Florida The Millenia Mall was impressive and fun. Have not been there for over a year now, hate to think how it is now.

Usually when I walk through a food court in a mall, my stomach starts turning as soon as that unique foul food smell is breathed in, too many times a quick muche or lunch led to vomit or bad case of diarrhea. Hideous. When young, malls were a good place to meet girls or take them out so they can try to weasel you out of money for a handbag, shoes, cloths etc. There are some really good malls that go beyond the same type stores at every corner, water fountains, shows, galleries and so on. In Orlando Florida The Millenia Mall was impressive and fun. Have not been there for over a year now, hate to think how it is now.
I once got food poisoning from one of those pretzel shops. You haven't lived until youre puking and shitting at the same time!

Uh😯guilty🤐😶😶😶😶😶😏☺️
I wouldn't use 'weasel' though, mate..its a more of...fair trade
Yep, I fell for it every time mind you, a few smiles and a wink and I was a marshmallow. Should have growled, stunk a little and kept the same gal a little bit longer, playing hard to get I've found worked better in the long run which made no sense.

Malls are still going fairly strong where I am. But I seldom go to them.

I think if you live in a dense urban area they're still popular, but if you live in a more midsized detached suburban area they're pretty much dead.

Dream on, It will never replace malls. I like to see and touch what I'm buying, especially clothes, but most non-electronics too. Often a picture doesn't show the full picture. And there is the experience. Clicking buy on amazon doesn't give the same rush, it's dull, robotic experience that doesn't give any satisfaction. Plus the wait for the stuff to actually show up, which here takes about a week best case scenario, if it doesn't get delayed or misplaced, it's all a hassle.

Dream on, It will never replace malls. I like to see and touch what I'm buying, especially clothes, but most non-electronics too. Often a picture doesn't show the full picture. And there is the experience. Clicking buy on amazon doesn't give the same rush, it's dull, robotic experience that doesn't give any satisfaction. Plus the wait for the stuff to actually show up, which here takes about a week best case scenario, if it doesn't get delayed or misplaced, it's all a hassle.
You’re part of a dying breed.

Neverland a far cry from Peter Pan and Amazon. Later I'm going to work to meditate walk the dog and play videogames.

Last edited:
In store returns are a much bigger hassle. I also get 24 hour shipping so YMMV.

The satisfaction being I don’t have to go drive to a mall, walk around under the shitty lighting and I would say deal with crowds but since the mid-2000s that hasn’t been a huge issue outside Xmas time.

In store returns are a much bigger hassle. I also get 24 hour shipping so YMMV.

The satisfaction being I don’t have to go drive to a mall, walk around under the shitty lighting and I would say deal with crowds but since the mid-2000s that hasn’t been a huge issue outside Xmas time.
Yeah being locked in your home indefnitely it's so great, I'm loving this new life. /s

Yeah being locked in your home indefnitely it's so great, I'm loving this new life. /s
Oh I love bars, concerts, sporting events and amusements parks.

Just malls are like all the fun of standing around without any of the excitement of trying to score, watching someone shred, watching someone else score or waiting to get scored on by a ride.

Bars/restaurants defied Emperor Newsom where I’m at (Danville CA). I’m not sure which bars are open currently but my favorite Italian joint is. I still agree though— being locked down sucks.

I don't mind life at home during lockdown. I live alone and have plenty of time to play guitar, exercise, watching movies, cook, read, and game. It's actually close to heaven for me.

I don't mind life at home during lockdown. I live alone and have plenty of time to play guitar, exercise, watching movies, cook, read, and game. It's actually close to heaven for me.
For me it's a mixed blessing. Unfortunately exercise has taken a back burner for the past 10 months since apparently runners/joggers/bike riders in the park where I would go to get some semblance of exercise think that wearing masks doesn't apply to them. But the biggest shit on me is actually on my 4 soon to be 5 year old child, who now doesn't have the opportunity to play with friends, learn those social skills that hopefully keep people out of their parents basement until their 30s, and more importantly no pre-school so he's going to go into kindergarten next year quite raw, which will be true of most kids, but yeah.

Other than that, not having to go to work is great as a teacher who only does asynchronous classes (college) because this semester is basically me going "copy & paste" and 90% of the work I need to do was done last semester.

For me it's a mixed blessing. Unfortunately exercise has taken a back burner for the past 10 months since apparently runners/joggers/bike riders in the park where I would go to get some semblance of exercise think that wearing masks doesn't apply to them. But the biggest shit on me is actually on my 4 soon to be 5 year old child, who now doesn't have the opportunity to play with friends, learn those social skills that hopefully keep people out of their parents basement until their 30s, and more importantly no pre-school so he's going to go into kindergarten next year quite raw, which will be true of most kids, but yeah.

Other than that, not having to go to work is great as a teacher who only does asynchronous classes (college) because this semester is basically me going "copy & paste" and 90% of the work I need to do was done last semester.
Yeah it would be really rough on parents and kids I expect. You have my sympathy there.
Exercise is not a problem though if you are able to make some adjustments. I replaced my home and work computer desks with a height adjustable standing desk, and put a treadmill under each one so I walk for most of my work day or when gaming. Also bought an exercise bike for more intense workouts while watching movies or TV shows and use kettle bell, medicine ball, etc for other routines. If I wanted to, I could be getting exercise for most of the day without leaving home. I am keeping far far away from people until this pandemic is under control.

My biggest revelation while on lock-down: "Oooohhhhhh, so this must be how alcoholism starts......"

And then having to resist the urge to follow that thought up with "...Fuckit"....

My biggest revelation while on lock-down: "Oooohhhhhh, so this must be how alcoholism starts......"

And then having to resist the urge to follow that thought up with "...Fuckit"....
Yeah I bought $240 worth of fancy Vermont chocolate over the holiday and have since eaten it all. Hence the need for treadmills and exercise bike.

It's not a new trend. Malls turning into offices has been a thing for decades. Basically since malls have existed. It's just usually booing insurance companies that nobody cares about.

The '95 OKC bombing saved one of my city's fading shopping malls. Social Security Admin and a few state/fed offices moved in, and they've been there ever since. The space is now 90% occupied, over 4000 employees. (compared to 30% occupied pre-1995)

The '95 OKC bombing saved one of my city's fading shopping malls. Social Security Admin and a few state/fed offices moved in, and they've been there ever since. The space is now 90% occupied, over 4000 employees. (compared to 30% occupied pre-1995)

Yeah. If it's a good location for a mall it's a good location for offices, and has adequate parking. Retail and offices are often in the same locations to begin with anyways. A lot of big buildings have malls on the first couple floors then offices on the rest.

Back