Epic Games Launcher makes AMD Ryzen CPUs run hotter even without any game running

Sounds like fake news.

20*C raise for 3-6% CPU use? That’s either fake news or a bad heatsink and fan mount.

Need more people to confirm before I’d believe this is a issue.

If it only affects AMD Ryzen 5th gen then report it as a bug.

I've noticed that the EPIC launcher uses about 2-3% CPU when just sitting in the tray.

https://videocardz.com/newz/epic-ga...cpus-run-hotter-even-without-any-game-running

oh man this pisses me off as to why i usualy dont like other company's and then this comes out wtf ..........about to uninstall you..........
Did you verify any of this yourself or are you just picking up a pitchfork and joining a questionably informed mob?

Plus is this really just Ryzen or does everyone feel the need to clickbait everything with an AMD product in the title?

Last edited:
I just checked mine on a Intel I7 6950X @4.0Ghz overclock across all 10 cores/20 threads.
I fired up my PC, opened ALL my game clients, and let it rest for about an hour so all the downloads and updates and CPU/Disk activity was out of the way

Epic Games Client does use the most CPU, but it's still pretty minimal at about 1.5%. That's still a programming efficiency opportunity for them, because the other game clients all average ~ .1%.

Blizzard = 0%
Epic Games = 1.5%
GoG Galaxy Client = .1%
Orgin = .1%
Rockstar = .1%
Steam = .1%
Ubisoft = .1%
Xbox = .2%

And this wasn't just an anomaly with Epic being that high. It seems to hover right about there. It certainly doesn't add 20* C to my core temp, and none of these are using any GPU because all together I'm still at 0% GPU usage on the desktop. (1080TI)

I've gotten like 70 free games from Epic. This won't make me uninstall their client. :rolleyes:

1608998791212.png

Epic Games Client does use the most CPU, but it's still pretty minimal at about 1.5%

A launcher using 1.5% is certainly not minimal. It's nice that you're so trusting of Tencent using 1.5% of your CPU as long as they shovel free stuff your way.

I just checked mine on a Intel I7 6950X @4.0Ghz overclock across all 10 cores/20 threads.
I fired up my PC, opened ALL my game clients, and let it rest for about an hour so all the downloads and updates and CPU/Disk activity was out of the way

Epic Games Client does use the most CPU, but it's still pretty minimal at about 1.5%. That's still a programming efficiency opportunity for them, because the other game clients all average ~ .1%.

Blizzard = 0%
Epic Games = 1.5%
GoG Galaxy Client = .1%
Orgin = .1%
Rockstar = .1%
Steam = .1%
Ubisoft = .1%
Xbox = .2%

Checked mine and it hovers around 5% in the system tray. Never noticed until now. Why??? o_O

A launcher using 1.5% is certainly not minimal. It's nice that you're so trusting of Tencent using 1.5% of your CPU as long as they shovel free stuff your way.
Prove anything nefarious is going on with the Epic client please.

There's plenty to do, other than launch games. At least with Steam there is.
I have never used a launcher for any purpose other than that it comes up briefly when the shortcut for a game is clicked.

I have used the Steam one to update games now that I think about it. I haven't used the steam launcher in a long time though. Games on other services seem to update automatically without me doing anything.

Last edited:
It's Chinese owned, has admin privileges while running, and is using an abnormal amount of cpu power. While also sending way more data out than other game launchers.

What more do you need to know.
Tin Foil Hat much?

If I was worried at all about it, I'd run a wireshark capture and determine what and where it was sending anything. I don't see it doing any more network traffic than any of my other game clients. MalwareBytes premium is on and warns me of potentially nefarious traffic destination. I use Cisco's Open DNS on my router to block traffic in and out to known bad destinations. My Asus router uses it's own Asus blacklist to stop and alert on nefarious traffic. I have Windows Defender enabled. I'm not worried about it. I've seen nothing to indicate it is a problem.

1.5% CPU use while the client is open is not a dealbreaker to me.

If you think it is. Then disable the client when not using it, or uninstall it. But if you are going to say Epic is mining data for China and sending it over the network ports, then you ought to have even a tiny smidgeon of proof.

Using Microsoft Sys Internal tool Process Explorer I can see it's established connections to the Amazon Cloud. Doesn't mean good or bad, but certainly doesn't mean nefarious.

1609006176502.png

Last edited:
Two weeks I have built ryzen 5900x system and almost immediatly noticed abnormal temps which led to discover epic client constantly using around 1.2%. Its not much but it, for whatever reason, is using single thread so that 1.2% actually is 25-30% single core usage and temperature most definetely reflects that (around 58 C,pbo is doing its thing). After I play something on epic I now always kill the process. Did not notice such thing on 10700k system I was using previously.

5600x, 5% constant CPU utilization when it's sitting idle in the tray, 10c rise in temps while it's sitting in tray. As soon as I close it, temps drop >10c (45-48c with EGL running idle in tray, to regular idle of 34c).

Switched to Legendary since I noticed this BS. It is a replacement for the EGL client. I can now claim (on Epic Games website) and install and play (Legendary) games without the EGL client on my system.

(note: first time I uninstalled EGL it effin' uninstalled all my EGL games off my system without warning me. Make sure you have cloud saves or better yet make a copy of your game save files before you try uninstalling EGL.)

5600x, 5% constant CPU utilization when it's sitting idle in the tray, 10c rise in temps while it's sitting in tray. As soon as I close it, temps drop >10c (45-48c with EGL running idle in tray, to regular idle of 34c).

Switched to Legendary since I noticed this BS. It is a replacement for the EGL client. I can now claim (on Epic Games website) and install and play (Legendary) games without the EGL client on my system.

(note: first time I uninstalled EGL it effin' uninstalled all my EGL games off my system without warning me. Make sure you have cloud saves or better yet make a copy of your game save files before you try uninstalling EGL.)
I'm curious how long Legendary will work - I suspect Epic will close-up those APIs/endpoints eventually.

I've been killing it whenever i'm not using it because mine also uses between1-5% CPU* and sometimes it uses 10-15% of my GPU when its just idle in the background.
None of my other launchers do anything like this, although the Xbox app GUI for some reason takes a hell of a lot of gpu power when you're looking at it and I can't fathom why.

*It's even more CPU usage than my always-on monitoring services and those things I expect to use CPU because they're updating 5 times a second and always 100% visible.

Last edited:

Certain software like for instance temp monitors, due to the way they gather data cause Ryzen CPU's to boost for short bur frequent periods causing increased thermals ans usage, could be the launcher is having a similar effect.

Also can't one use GOG Galaxy 2.0 to replace other launchers? haven't realy looked into that functionality yet.

Also can't one use GOG Galaxy 2.0 to replace other launchers? haven't realy looked into that functionality yet.
I haven't tried using it in a while, but GOG Galaxy 2.0 absolutely could not handle my huge steam library without crashing or becoming unresponsive.
Hopefully its better now.

I'm curious how long Legendary will work - I suspect Epic will close-up those APIs/endpoints eventually.
That's my worry too. Tin foil telemtry/Chinese hat things aside, just the fact it makes your CPU fan run faster and heat by 10c doing nothing, is something I really don't like. It just makes everything in your system hotter and thottle earlier, for no good reason.. whatever it's doing is unorthodox and not cool.
I was really glad to find about Legendary, and I wish something for Steam was possible too. I hope it doesn't get shut down but I too see it being stopped sooner rather than later. Hopefully by which time the public inquiry and shaming willl make them change their launcher CPU usage

I always close out my gaming clients after I finish playing a game so it's not too big of a deal...

Temperature jumped from 29 to 40C upon opening the program. Never paid any attention as it doesn’t seem to hurt anything.

Junky ass store and junky ass software. Glad I got rid of it. Free games or not.

You guys have me interested to test on my 3800X. I'll do that tomorrow. Has anyone tried disconnecting the internet to see if it changes?

Just did a quick test on my 5950x. On startup, temps were idling around 36-40c. With Epic opened it idled at 62c. Left it there for a minute or so, no updates were running. As soon as I closed it I was back at 39-40c.

Fuck Epic. I just grab the free games in case something ever happens with Steam. I've literally purchased games on Steam that I've already gotten for free on Epic because I cant stand them. This just further solidifies my hatred. An no its not a bad mount on my cooler. I think the max temp I've seen becnhmarking is 82c, and gaming is usually around 70c, spikes to 75c are normal.

Ran a few comparisons on my 3800X. So I haven't launched my Epic Games launcher in a few months. I knew it was going to be outdated. I took some screenshots before and after the launcher update. The first image is before and you can see the CPU usage was low, I averaged between 0 and 1% with occasional small spikes which is normal for Windows 10. The 2nd image is after I updated to the current launcher. This would show a very consistent 3-5% usage. I changed the affinity to use just 1 thread so the usage was easier to visualize. The 3rd image includes resource monitor to show the usage was indeed from the EpicGamesLancher.exe

Disconnecting from the internet did not affect usage. Signing out of the launcher but leaving it open did not affect the CPU utilization either. Exiting the launcher entirely did. CPU temps dropped 7-9C and my system was idling at 0% again.

Attachments

• epic launcher.jpg
    epic launcher.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • epic launcher_updated.jpg
    epic launcher_updated.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 0
  • epic launcher_updated_rm.jpg
    epic launcher_updated_rm.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
my sig system does this but i noticed that its usage changes based on what page i have opened in the launcher, games tab is highest usage.

There's another news article where others have followed this up running network monitors and finding out that the EGS launcher is sending out tons of data as well - it may not be the sole reason for the temperature problem , but it certainly doesn't help.

Oh for anyone who wants to check their temps and may not be aware, I suggest using LibreHardwareMonitor - https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor - an open source fork of the now abandoned OpenHardwareMonitor. Unlike some other utilities it is updated with relative frequency which is nice to see especially for those using newer hardware and, as always, its nice to use an open source/libre utility when one is suitable.

I updated to 11.0.2 earlier today and its now using less than 0.5% cpu compared to the average of 3.5% previously, comp now idling at expected temps too.

Guess they fixed the bug. :)
"bug" :D
I wonder if it will be a recurring bug that's VERY hard to get rid of :ninja:
jk
[...]

Disconnecting from the internet did not affect usage. Signing out of the launcher but leaving it open did not affect the CPU utilization either.
I'd take it to mean it probably was just inefficient coding? Unless it tried to send data over and over despite not being connected.

I can't believe no one reported Wiresharking it yet so we know what it was sending to those AWS databases... (as was reported)

On my 5800x it seemed to use ~10% utilization constantly. POS software...lol. Even after the update it's still hovering at 6%.

EDIT: When minimized it is only 0.3% but all other launchers are using nothing, soo...

Its still doing the same as it did before, except at a much much lower rate. You can see via process monitor, it enumerates through your process list, but the rate is much lower than before the fix. i dont think its anything bad, their explanation is that so it can pause an update to a game if you are playing it.

however every other launcher has the same ability but doesn't need to constantly check what processes are running, and none are constantly making calls to aws.

Back