Epic Games Denies Client Spying Accusations

Why is it that anyone that dislikes Epic's approach is labelled a Steam Lover and/or Epic hater? Is it not a legitimate point of view to see Epic's client scrape the Steam's Friends List file without permission as distasteful? I think it is. Folks that make excuses for that kind of behavior only invite more privacy eroding code. In addition, if Epic really wants to challenge Steam, then offer a better experience and put in the hard work to get there. Enticing new Epic users by saving them few keystrokes by scraping a Steam Friends List is weak sauce. It's like leeching off of another company's work.

I don't mind having more than one launcher. The competition is good. I use Origin and that's fine. But I never saw Origin take these kind of tactics. I'm glad I paid $10 more and bought Exodus from Steam before Epic paid off the developers. Something about Epic's brute force approach to finding their way onto the desktop space without building a better mouse trap to begin with turns me off.

Yes EPIC could do better and I believe they will. Scrapping friends list. I am not really sure what that's for but so far it hasn't really pissed me off with friends contacts or used the info in any manner that would annoy the crap out of me. I am sure steam wasn't built in a day either. Steam is a work over the years and yes its great but it desperately needs competition. If they were taking my friends list and using it to annoy the shit out of those people and targeting them without permission then yea I would be pissed.

Meh.

I'm totally numb to privacy invasion any more.

Thanks to my pals and overlords of the new information economy.

Reactions: NKD
like this
Meh.

I'm totally numb to privacy invasion any more.

Thanks to my pals and overlords of the new information economy.

lol So true. I used to trip over it all the time lol. Now it just feels like even if you do your best they got your targeting info anyways. lol

I really don't understand the hate for epic store. They're trying to offer a business solution that benefits developers (you know, the people that make our games), that is measurably superior to what steam is offering. I just don't understand why people want steam to be a monopoly, it doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not a fan of having a pile of launchers to sift through depending on the game I want. There shouldn't even be launchers for games that I own legally.

I really don't understand the hate for epic store. They're trying to offer a business solution that benefits developers (you know, the people that make our games), that is measurably superior to what steam is offering. I just don't understand why people want steam to be a monopoly, it doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not a fan of having a pile of launchers to sift through depending on the game I want. There shouldn't even be launchers for games that I own legally.

Nobody is upset with Epic Games Store existing and being an option. They're upset because of the thuggish inconsiderate practices Epic Games are employing, the negative and unhealthy practice of paid-for exclusives that EG is bringing to the PC games industry, and that EG are acting arrogantly for behaving that way without even offering comparable features (though the practices are unacceptable regardless).

To frame it as 'Epic is just this innocent newcommer that people are being mean to' is to be disingenuous and to separate the situation from all its context.

EG is being an anti-competitive bully and is being disruptive to the industry in manner that could be unhealthy for it in the long term.

And the lower platform fee at Epic isn't a stand-alone detail. It coincides with specific platform features and services, and with platform reach. Not only that, but EG's platform fee is set too low for EG to even be able to cover costs in some cases, and so EG charge something like an extra 5% in certain countries to cover transaction fees.

So, EG's fee isn't an honest deal - it has caveats and is clearly designed to be aggressive and disruptive to build EG's customer base quickly - just like selling Metro Exodus for $50 (which is a loss in profits compared to $60 on Steam) in North America is. I won't be surprised if EG, after building that base and developing a lot more features to be closer to Steam in attractiveness to players, increase their fee by a couple of %.

Last edited:
This is the same EPIC store that kept saying my account was trying to be accessed and I need to enable 2 factor authentication.(they wanted my phone number) Yeah, nope. I could definitely buy that they are trying some shady shit somehow.

They are fighting monopoly by making themselves the monopoly. Riiiight, sounds great, I can't see how anyone could mind.

Epic is killing price competition. I am continually amazed at how many people just refuse to see this. Epic is not fighting Steam's access monopoly, that Steam doesn't really have anyway. Epic is not offereing the same features Steam is, not by a longshot. I have more competition on price through Origin and Steam than Epic. If Ubisoft continues with its new Division2 only on Epic and Uplay policy for their newer games, they too will be locking out 3rd party sellers of their games. Uplay is a better launcher than Epic too.

In the end, I think a lot of this is publishers and devs trying to control prices on their products to keep them inflated longer.

I use Google Chrome - logged in - only for Alphabet related services. YouTube, YouTube TV, Gmail, etc. For everything else, I use the Firefox browser.

Only way I know to keep the Google cross-contamination in check without losing the benefits of using Google.
I've really dropped the ball there. They certainly have my info.

Feels like MIB is doing their work well, people are under some kind of hipnose or anestesic nowadays...
"Everything is normal guys, nothing to see here..."

This is the same EPIC store that kept saying my account was trying to be accessed and I need to enable 2 factor authentication.(they wanted my phone number) Yeah, nope. I could definitely buy that they are trying some shady shit somehow.

Are you serious? Unreal! Its not a joke lol. I have had my uplay account hacked, may be go check https://haveibeenpwned.com/. They aren't bullshitting you when they say someone may be trying to access your account. It happens every day. If you think 2FA is a way to get your phone number you are mistaken. lol. Whether you hate epic or not, having 2FA is no joke.

Are you serious? Unreal! Its not a joke lol. I have had my uplay account hacked, may be go check https://haveibeenpwned.com/. They aren't bullshitting you when they say someone may be trying to access your account. It happens every day. If you think 2FA is a way to get your phone number you are mistaken. lol. Whether you hate epic or not, having 2FA is no joke.

2FA IS a joke. it went away when i added a number, and came back when i removed it. No. It felt fishy and after seeing this it's even more suspect. I don't have anything of value on that account and i'm not an idiot when it comes to passwords.

2FA IS a joke. it went away when i added a number, and came back when i removed it. No. It felt fishy and after seeing this it's even more suspect. I don't have anything of value on that account and i'm not an idiot when it comes to passwords.

just cuz you don;t like it doenst mean 2fa is a joke. seriously may be you don't care about epic store. To say 2FA is a joke in general is a joke in itself. Its saved me pleny of times.

Another gift from our "more choice is better" Epic store:

Another gift from our "more choice is better" Epic store:

Fuck those developers and fuck the anti-competitive Epic Games Store with Tim Sweeney's pissing-in-our-faces-and-telling-us-that-it's-raining propaganda about increasing consumer choice and doing what he thinks is best for PC gaming.

Remember his public attacks on Microsoft for trying to create a walled garden with UWP? Clearly, he was not opposed to the practice and was simply jealous.

He's obviously a greedy thug psychopath who has no problem lying through his teeth to everybody's faces and who perceives no differences between truth and falsehood.

Anyone who supports that crap is responsible for the shittifying of PC gaming.

Also, recall people arguing there to be no evidence Epic is paying for exclusives and that developers going exclusive to EGS was all due to EGS having a lower platform fee (even though Tim Sweeney basically said otherwise, Metro Exodus was sold at a loss in North America on EGS compared to Steam, and EGS has nowhere near comparable popularity and market reach to Steam)?

h85ndar19vl21.png

Epic is paying boatloads of cash to steal these games for the EGS platform from the people who want to play them.

This is purely greed and all the 'consumer choice' spiel is manure for the mouths of the foolish. And the fail-apologists need to start thinking with their heads rather than silly 'sounds like a conspiracy theory' sentiments.

Last edited:
I wonder if the developer can be sued by backers for breach of contract, and also breach of fiduciary duty and breach of good faith.

33517358168_a7258eea98_o.png

Last edited:
just cuz you don;t like it doenst mean 2fa is a joke. seriously may be you don't care about epic store. To say 2FA is a joke in general is a joke in itself. Its saved me pleny of times.

2FA is not hard to circumvent. it's called social engineering and it's the primary weakness of most people and security. A very simple example one was someone put a bunch of free infected usb keys in a parking lot. I'm not sure if it was even an hour before the harmless but obvious virus showed up on their network.

This is one of many examples. You compartmentalize and keep backups for when people do screw up things and get hit by things like ransomware.

Gaming aside? that account I don't care for. It does remind me I do need to re-update everything in the very near future.

Back