EPIC Games Announces Its Cross-Platform Online Services Roadmap for 2019

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Epic Games has announced its plans to implement free cross-platform online services into Unreal Engine and Unity. Over time these services will be free for all developers to mix and match with other solutions, and will be open to all engines, all platforms, and all stores. Epic Games has successfully battle tested these tools in Fortnite which has reached 200 million players across 7 different platforms including PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PlayStation, Xbox, and Switch.

Some of the upcoming features planned for cross-platform services in 2019 include voice comms, data storage, cloud-saved games, achievements, trophies, parties and matchmaking, PC/Mac overlay API, login, friends, presence, and entitlements. After the first steps are taken, more features such as user-generated content, enhanced social features, anti-cheat and more are planned.

We connect developers and players across all platforms, and respect existing platform relationships and player accounts. For example, Fortnite runs on 7 platforms that are fully interoperable; the game requires no login on console, and supports multi-platform login via Facebook, Google, Xbox Live, PSN, and Nintendo accounts, in addition to Epic accounts; and supports Twitch account linking. Besides these existing account and service integrations, we're eager to work with partners on further efforts to connect accounts, gaming services, and cloud services for a more seamless experience. We operate our services primarily on Amazon Web Services data centers throughout the world to bring the high reliability and wide international reach required by the next generation of online and socially-connected games.

I'm liking this, never liked how all the systems were closed off from one another.

What is this love fest between Epic and Unity? Thought they were to completely different platforms.

Hmm didn't realize that the CEO of unity is a former EA ceo.

What is this love fest between Epic and Unity? Thought they were to completely different platforms.

I would think they are just trying to go with the flow for Epics platform. I am sure they are betting on a lot of indie studios may take to Epics platform for the better margins. If they can offer those indie developers many of whom use their engine cross platform access... on a sales platform paying them a better cut. Its win win for them.

I can't help but think that this is easier done now that all the consoles are x86 based. You code for one, you code for all.

I guess I have to be the first to say it as well... Linux. :)

I know its a hope and a prayer but it would be nice to see them build a Linux client as well... especially if they start attracting a bunch of Indie game studio that have been supporting Linux on steam.

Reactions: PeaKr
like this
They want to compete. I don't particularly like Epic (old Quake grudge hehe) but someone has to shake the tree

I know its a hope and a prayer but it would be nice to see them build a Linux client as well... especially if they start attracting a bunch of Indie game studio that have been supporting Linux on steam.

Nice idea, did you sent them the suggestion ? Seems silly but sometimes after a few ask...
I tried with Sony and Budweiser but they never got to sync the goal light with EA Sport NHL, damn that would of been nice lol

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Nice idea, did you sent them the suggestion ? Seems silly but sometimes after a few ask...
I tried with Sony and Budweiser but they never got to sync the goal light with EA Sport NHL, damn that would of been nice lol

Haha ya that would be epic now that you mention it.

Created my account last night. Smooth and stable. Looking forward to free games.

Was going to buy hades but couldn't find if it had controller support anywhere.

I don't understand how this can not support Linux, since all it does is use networking calls to call AWS.

Even just a linux client with acollection of opengl and small games that can run pseudo opengl would be a significant offering. Could use a micro atx or nuc for sofa gaming. Could velcro it to back of the TV. Actually have fun with friends playing say all of these:

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/tims-pax-indie-game-awards/

We would all be having alot more fun with that then getting 4x2080 systems plugged in to play battlefield v and battlefeont2. AAA gaming is failing so hard right now there is a major opening for fun playable games.

So that's EA, Bethesda, NVidia, and etc, killing AAA gaming, what about microsoft, If you compare windows xp to windows 10 you get an idea of what windows 11/12 will be like. There are now so many always running process running on Microsoft's OS that its having a noticeable affect on gaming smoothness.

Take the simple and old as dirt print spooler service, instead of flipping on when you need it, it still runs constantly. Even if like me the only thing you print are your taxes once per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
like this
Even just a linux client with acollection of opengl and small games that can run pseudo opengl would be a significant offering. Could use a micro atx or nuc for sofa gaming. Could velcro it to back of the TV. Actually have fun with friends playing say all of these:

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/tims-pax-indie-game-awards/

We would all be having alot more fun with that then getting 4x2080 systems plugged in to play battlefield v and battlefeont2. AAA gaming is failing so hard right now there is a major opening for fun playable games.

So that's EA, Bethesda, NVidia, and etc, killing AAA gaming, what about microsoft, If you compare windows xp to windows 10 you get an idea of what windows 11/12 will be like. There are now so many always running process running on Microsoft's OS that its having a noticeable affect on gaming smoothness.

Take the simple and old as dirt print spooler service, instead of flipping on when you need it, it still runs constantly. Even if like me the only thing you print are your taxes once per year.
Windows 10 and Windows XP are not even comparible, you could make the same comparison about windows XP and DOS 3.22.

Back