Epic buys Rocket League developer Psyonix, will stop selling the game on Steam

seriously.... this is a bad joke.... right

will it be removed from steam? I have 3 copies on different steam accounts.... that is going to suck if I have to buy them again and start over

FUCK
Rocket League is definitely a young man's game requiring faster reflexes than most. At 35, I find myself struggling to keep up with the youngsters. Still fun though.

I play a decent amount on PC and xbox and I am around diamond 2-3 usually.... not sure how to fairs but I am also 35

Geez. I remember when all the whiners complained about Epic store exclusives said things like first party exclusives were OK.

Well now Rocket League is an Epic first party title, and we get more whining.

Geez. I remember when all the whiners complained about Epic store exclusives said things like first party exclusives were OK.

Speaking of...

Epic writing a big Fortnite check a mere 24hrs ago to steal another game from Steam is hardly the same as an Epic published title. The game's developer came part of the package since the game is all they do - "want the game, you buy the company".

Can't say I blame the developer, but its all part of a slow erosion for PC gamers.

Last edited:
This is good for rocket league

It reminded me its been a game I want for a while, so I'll be sure to buy it from steam while it's still on steam.

Thanks Epic!

(p.s. PC gaming died in 1981)

Say what you want. This won't affect my Xbox Store version. There are pros to console. Only one store to deal with.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this

So if I buy a house, that means I built the house?

I've already explained what a first party game is, it seems to no avail. Some people are so far up their own anuses here that they wouldn't hear an atomic bomb going off near them.

It is rather hysterical. It's like a doomsday cult.
Yeah, because a game that was formerly on steam, suddently becoming an exclusive to another launcher is a good thing for gamers right? Do I need to spell it out? OK, your friends own the game on steam. You want to join them in playing the game, but you can't because you can only buy the game on the epic store. So you are segregated by the launchers.
The only option at that point to add a new member to your circle is for everyone to re-buy the game on epic. How on god's green earth can someone still think that this isn't hurting the community at this point? The facts should have punctured your eardrums by now, but you take selective hearing to a whole new level.

Do not attribute to malice what you can to ignorance, but I can't believe someone can be this blind.

It is rather hysterical. It's like a doomsday cult.
If only I've seen a single argument against the epic store debunked, but all I see is deep denial and slurs, and perhaps the occasional moving of goalposts. You might as well be high-fiving each other on how swell guys you are for mutually being in complete denial of facts. No, I'm not mad at you, I'm just disappointed.

If only I've seen a single argument against the epic store debunked, but all I see is deep denial and slurs, and perhaps the occasional moving of goalposts. You might as well be high-fiving each other on how swell guys you are for mutually being in complete denial of facts. No, I'm not mad at you, I'm just disappointed.

What arguments? I have seen mainly outrage and whining about having to use a different store. Typical "first world problem" whining.

If only you knew how ironic this is coming from you

OK, your friends own the game on steam. You want to join them in playing the game, but you can't because you can only buy the game on the epic store. So you are segregated by the launchers.
The only option at that point to add a new member to your circle is for everyone to re-buy the game on epic. How on god's green earth can someone still think that this isn't hurting the community at this point?

Any pro-Epic gents care to post their counter point to this? Because that's my concern as well, and I'm not nearly as invested in this debate as most are.

Any pro-Epic gents care to post their counter point to this? Because that's my concern as well, and I'm not nearly as invested in this debate as most are.

That's making a lot of assumptions that are most likely wrong. Which is typical for most of the EGS hate.

The game has cross platform play and you think they won't let you play on Steam and EGS together?

It's most likely going to become free to play when they launch it on EGS.

Who really cares about Steam friends anymore. Just use discord.

That's making a lot of assumptions that are most likely wrong.

The game has cross platform play and you think they won't let you play on Steam and EGS together?

It's most likely going to become free to play when they launch it on EGS.

Who really cares about Steam friends anymore. Just use discord.

You literally put 3 new assumptions into your response o_O

Epic is going full bore investing every penny they get from fortnite into attempting to build the epic store and kill the rivals.

Yet they simultaneously said they wouldn't build up the epic UI to match steam.

Is there really nobody working for Epic who understands the social reasons why most people prefer Steam?

Most people use steam because they already have 100's of games on it, not because it is better or has better social junk. Steam has a monopoly and that is a bad thing, over all.

You literally put 3 new assumptions into your response o_O

Yeah assumptions based on actual facts instead of rage induced doomsday theories.

There are no facts pointing to you not being able to play together. It's just wild speculation.

Let's think of every possible negative outcome they'll all be true.
I have to click a different icon therefore pc gaming is dead.

So if I buy a house, that means I built the house?

No, but it's still your house, and it's yours to do with what you want, with no real difference than if you built it yourself.

Most people use steam because they already have 100's of games on it, not because it is better or has better social junk. Steam has a monopoly and that is a bad thing, over all.

I don't think steam should be the only platform but I disagree with the 100s of games. I know tons of people who use steam over plain simple piracy because of friends, profile page, profile level and xp, trading cards, market, etc. The average steam gamer only has cs go and pubg and some other staples anyway. Steamspy had the average at 10 games per account last year.

It's a social network and that's addictive. You may not agree but Valve sure does. Social interaction and peer pressure is the business model of the modern internet.

Epics solution to this monopoly is also clearly to become a monopoly. So we're not solving anything. I want hard copies back, but I'm in the ancient minority.

lol nobody uses steam for the trading cards.

How many trading cards do you think are traded on steam daily? Why make such an assertion just because you don't care about trading cards?

Nobody claimed it was the only reason they use it. Its a feature in a laundry list of many, and people use it.

The only pro argument I have for games going Epic store are that they offer developers a lot better distribution rates. I'd go Epic store if I was a developer. Sure I'd have the never Epic crowd not buying my game but they offer developers such better rates than Steam, I think a lot of developers will soon be jumping ship (unless Steam changes their ways) that even this crowd will have to come on board kicking and screaming (and I will eventually get their sale in a years time).

Other than that, they are another distribution "store" and it does not matter to me.

I do. When I trade them in for 10 cents a piece so I can save a dollar on my next Steam game :cool:

Same here actually :p... But hey, it's a use..

However, My niece and nephew like trading the cards and crafting badges so they can have more flair on their profile, hence my addition of cards into the list of steam social features. I don't think it would be a BAD thing to ask that Epic incorporate some more social fun features to spruce up their launcher would it? Just because we don't care much for the cards doesn't mean that kids ignore them too...

I just checked a top 250 list of steam levels and the lowest one is over 500.. I can't imagine how many steam trading cards and game purchases it took to do that..

seriously.... this is a bad joke.... right

will it be removed from steam? I have 3 copies on different steam accounts.... that is going to suck if I have to buy them again and start over

FUCK

Yes it will be removed from Steam. You will no longer be able to play the games you paid for. If you have your credit card or PayPal info saved in Steam you will automatically be charged full MSRP to buy all copies on EGS. All your progress will be reset to. Also, Valve will ban your entire Steam account so you'll only ever be able to use EGS. FUCK!

:p

Though I'm sure you'll be able to play with EGS users. Epic has been at the forefront of cross platform play. I can't imagine they wouldn't allow people with different clients to not play together when you can play across different platforms.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/23/1...-mobile-enable-friends-compatible-matchmaking

If you can play with console, iOS and Android players with Fortnite I assume Rocket League on Steam will work with Rocket League on EGS.

How many trading cards do you think are traded on steam daily? Why make such an assertion just because you don't care about trading cards?

Nobody claimed it was the only reason they use it. Its a feature in a laundry list of many, and people use it.

It is a money making scheme designed to sucker in little kids. I don't blame Valve as it is a creative way to make money. I don't like that Steam is becoming bloated though and more of these features are shoved in your face. The new GUI redesign looks like garbage with all kinds of crap shoved in your face. But, trading cards don't really affect me. You can make... 2-3 cents per one you get as well so its a nice little bonus.

Anyone remember when you could sell a card for 40-60 cents? I used to amass $3 or so bucks at the end of a sale event. Could almost buy a game with them back then.

WTF are you doing replying by editing into a previous post?

I posted, made a few edits and while doing so you posted. No one likes a thread that is cluttered with one person making a new post for every sentence. So I did one final edit with your newest post in it. Simple really.

Last edited:
You know, when they buy Valve, have a feeling Steam may totally fall apart.

You know, when they buy Valve, have a feeling Steam may totally fall apart.

Not happening unless Newell dies. I wish he wasn't so damn fat. :p

Whenever Newell goes, Steam will go with it. He is very pro-developer and pro-gamer. Yes he rants on about passion projects and tries in cringe worthy ways to maintain relevance but most of his side projects are utter flops that don't affect much. Once he is gone Valve will forever be changed.

Steam has a monopoly and that is a bad thing, over all.
Having more games on their store doesn't make them a monopoly. You can buy Steam, EA and Ubisoft keys elsewhere for dirt cheap.

Timed exclusives via EGS is bad thing because there is no other option unless you like waiting for it to show up on your preferred store.

Some new revelations came to my attention today. One developer, namely the developer of Rise of Industry which is on steam early access said that epic doesn't allow games to be sold on their store while the game is also on steam:

deal.png

If true this makes epic seem even worse than I previously thought.

Some new revelations came to my attention today. One developer, namely the developer of Rise of Industry which is on steam early access said that epic doesn't allow games to be sold on their store while the game is also on steam:

View attachment 159753

I thought the picture couldn't get any worse of epic. I wonder how the epic shills try to sweep this under the rug?

No worse than Steam shills, I suppose.

Edit: Oh, and do not believe for an instant if Steam was the newcomer that they would do things any differently.

Although it might be true, that chat box you posted doesn't clearly state anything.

Games that are on Steam require Steam Works framework built in. Even if they were offered elsewhere, you would need to install Steam to run the game. I'd imagine this was the same on Origin, EGS, Ubi whatever...

I'd like to know if there are games from the last 5 years that are on Steam and you can get elsewhere but are not required to install Steam. This would determine if the opposite was true.

Although it might be true, that chat box you posted doesn't clearly state anything.

Games that are on Steam require Steam Works framework built in. Even if they were offered elsewhere, you would need to install Steam to run the game. I'd imagine this was the same on Origin, EGS, Ubi whatever...

I'd like to know if there are games from the last 5 years that are on Steam and you can get elsewhere but are not required to install Steam. This would determine if the opposite was true.
What? It sounds pretty clear.

"You couldn't put it on epic if it's on steam too?" - Yup

As for your question of course there are games that are on steam and also elsewhere. Many games that are on steam are also on gog. Or uplay, where you don't need steam to run them. Have you ever seen a game that you launched elsewhere and it loaded steam? Never happened, it is usually the other way round. Games on steam launching uplay or rockstar launcher or whatever.

View attachment 159753

If true this makes epic seem even worse than I previously thought.

Have the whole conversation? Not too sure I follow what is going on. They're selling on Steam. Penguin says 18% less fees is a good reason to be exclusive (to EGS). But they can't put it on EGS because it is on Steam. Conversation ends with "Exclusive". Either they have an exclusivity agreement with Valve/their publisher to sell on Steam or if they want to sell on EGS they have to exclusively sell on EGS. I doubt the latter because many of the timed exclusives on EGS will be sold on Steam as well in the future. Ubisoft is a different situation but they sell on Uplay and EGS concurrently.

Sounds like typical twitter/social media conversations which typically have people talking about two slightly different things out of context. And possibly some kind of language barrier.

Have the whole conversation? Not too sure I follow what is going on. They're selling on Steam. Penguin says 18% less fees is a good reason to be exclusive (to EGS). But they can't put it on EGS because it is on Steam. Conversation ends with "Exclusive". Either they have an exclusivity agreement with Valve/their publisher to sell on Steam or if they want to sell on EGS they have to exclusively sell on EGS. I doubt the latter because many of the timed exclusives on EGS will be sold on Steam as well in the future. Ubisoft is a different situation but they sell on Uplay and EGS concurrently.

Sounds like typical twitter/social media conversations which typically have people talking about two slightly different things out of context. And possibly some kind of language barrier.
I don't have the entire conversation it is supposedly from a private discord server hence the blurred out names.
The context is that they don't want to put it on epic because it would mean having to remove it from steam. And they can't do that because it is already an early access title on steam. So removing it would sure to piss off people.

They don't have an exclusivity agreement with steam, nobody even heard about such a deal ever existing, it's just a knee-jerk reaction of the people desperately defending epic for whatever reason.

The 18% is a good reason was an answer to a question someone asked "why would anyone go epic exclusive"

The part exclusive refers to only being able to go on the epic store if you become exclusive or at least a timed exclusive. And quite frankly a timed exclusive is about as good as a full exclusive as most sales happen in the first month after release. There is nothing but scraps a year after release.

Last edited:
The 18% is a good reason was an answer to a question someone asked "why would anyone go epic exclusive"
The 18% is a shit reason and a smokescreen that Sweeney wants everyone to stay distracted by, due to the elephant in the room: the massive difference in volume. A title on EGS will sell only a tiny fraction of total copies than it would on Steam.

Fortnite kids don't buy games.

Back