Epia N8000E Nano-ITX review

Palle04

n00b
Thought you might be interested:

N8000.jpg

http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=84

What the hell is this?

Performance:7/10 "The CPU doesn't have enought power, not powerful enought for quicktime, not powerful enough for a HTPC" Why the hell did ut get a 7 out of 10
Usability: 9/10 Xp Drivers Junk, Hi-Def Output useless, Can't decode Divix, Can't decode quicktime, can't playback DVD's unless you use the right decoder. What is this thing good
for? Nothing video related, or that requires any processing power. So word and excel?
Noise: 10/10 - Ok its silent and tiny. Sweet
Price: 6/10 I think this is still to high of a score for a board thats 4x more expensive then a
mini-itx board.

Total Score: 8/10 – Recommended! For what exactly?

Agreed. If you need silent AND tiny, do what I did: buy a Mac Mini.

The Core Solo model costs about the same as the EPIA-N8000E plus an OS and ram, and will run circles around it. You can even run Windows on it without an issue.

If you need silent and don't care about size, any cheap undervolted Sempron will do nicely.

Kingofl337 said:
What the hell is this?

Performance:7/10 "The CPU doesn't have enought power, not powerful enought for quicktime, not powerful enough for a HTPC" Why the hell did ut get a 7 out of 10
Usability: 9/10 Xp Drivers Junk, Hi-Def Output useless, Can't decode Divix, Can't decode quicktime, can't playback DVD's unless you use the right decoder. What is this thing good
for? Nothing video related, or that requires any processing power. So word and excel?
Noise: 10/10 - Ok its silent and tiny. Sweet
Price: 6/10 I think this is still to high of a score for a board thats 4x more expensive then a
mini-itx board.

Total Score: 8/10 – Recommended! For what exactly?

Maybe it would be better if you would post the complete conclusion instead of just posting a part of it.

The long wait for this board will have caused some buyers to give up and move on. For those with sufficient patience or devotion, the need for such a small motherboard must also justify the price, however, there will always be some early adopters who pave the way for broader acceptance of the platform, which will lead to lower pricing.

The board is quite well equipped to handle many tasks that a conventional PC would be expected to handle, and has truly excellent power consumption figures. The size, heat output and noise levels alone will recommend it to many projects. On the other hand, this board should not be seen as a direct replacement for a standard desktop PC in all ways. The hardware accelerated MPEG playback could be harnessed and may well effectively compensate for the lack of basic processing power in the CPU, but expect to make some compromises in your project if you want to make use of it.

Performance: Performance is pretty much the same as other boards from VIA. The benchmarks are pretty much what you expect when you have an 800mhz C3 cpu.

Ease of Use / Usability: The board is easy to setup, simply add memory, a hard drive, a case and you have a complete system. Of course there are only a few Nano-ITX cases available at the moment but i bet we will see some more solutions soon. Throughout all my testing the system was extremely reliable, and stable.

Noise: Listen....... Right you can't hear anything it's passively cooled.

Price: Pricing is around 400$ or €. That's not cheap indeed but take a look at this size!

Pros: Small, Very Stable, Provides excellent flexibility, Awesome Padlock engine, sooooo tiny ;)

Cons: Slow Ram Performance and horrible driver support for Windows

I can compare it only to other Epia mainboards when it comes to cpu performance etc.
So i guess you never got around with any C3 platforms before ;)

ITX wasn't really even designed for consumer desktop usage anyways, but rather ultra quiet, ultra low power embedded and integrated setups.

I use mini-ITX for a lot of P.O.S. and home automation designs, but a nano-ITX would be even better for things such as car-PCs and who knows what else.

DocNsane said:
ITX wasn't really even designed for consumer desktop usage anyways, but rather ultra quiet, ultra low power embedded and integrated setups.

I use mini-ITX for a lot of P.O.S. and home automation designs, but a nano-ITX would be even better for things such as car-PCs and who knows what else.

I wouldnt mind having a nano-itx if It had dual ethernet, I really need to get a router with some muscle (Mine just took a crap today after I opened up limewire). Praise the computing gods that I havent needed to bring it to a LAN party just yet, 10+ over-caffinated lan-partiers downloading cracks/songs/ebaying/updating steam would probably make my router catch on fire.

$400.00 is rather steep, but cosidering that the whole thing would probably fit in my old rotuer.... thumbs up to that. Throw in a 512 meg CF card, some ram... it would make one hell of a router for sure.

bob said:
I wouldnt mind having a nano-itx if It had dual ethernet, I really need to get a router with some muscle (Mine just took a crap today after I opened up limewire). Praise the computing gods that I havent needed to bring it to a LAN party just yet, 10+ over-caffinated lan-partiers downloading cracks/songs/ebaying/updating steam would probably make my router catch on fire.

$400.00 is rather steep, but cosidering that the whole thing would probably fit in my old rotuer.... thumbs up to that. Throw in a 512 meg CF card, some ram... it would make one hell of a router for sure.

I've always wanted to get one of these and use it for a router:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856110030

It's not as small, but it does pretty much the same thing for 1/4th of the price. This nano-itx would definitely be killer for a carputer or something similiar.

Back