EoPL- ethernet over power line .. please recommend

Asgorath

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking at setting up some eOpl in an apartment. What model do you guys recommend? Or what are your experiences with various models?

I'm kinda new to the EoPL thing

I wouldn't..... in a building like that.. I would be afraid of someone hopping on my network.

Just get a Wireless-Router and WPA-AES secure it.

well from what I understand about these things it could have to be on the same power grid so if your apt or what ever have separate power meter then it would be good to use but if not its not good to use one of these devices.

just follow what AMDXP said.

so from what I was reading criccio about that link you posted can you use that say like:

your router ----> to this device ----> to your coax through out your house then to like a cable modem ----> a other router?

is that right or am I wrong?

I have used the Actiontech 85mbps ones. They work great...but it really just depends on your wiring. If you get ones that are Homeplug based, they all work together even cross brands.

They cannot go through meters, but if you are in an apartment or something they do allow encryption, so no security worries....much more secure than secured wifi IMO (someone would have to have a homeplug adapter, within your complexes power grid, and then crack its encryption somehow).

I wouldn't..... in a building like that.. I would be afraid of someone hopping on my network.

Just get a Wireless-Router and WPA-AES secure it.

well from what I understand about these things it could have to be on the same power grid so if your apt or what ever have separate power meter then it would be good to use but if not its not good to use one of these devices.

just follow what AMDXP said.

They support encryption just like wireless, so its safer than wireless IMO as more people will have wireless and be snooping around than homeplugs in YOUR complex.

so from what I was reading criccio about that link you posted can you use that say like:

your router ----> to this device ----> to your coax through out your house then to like a cable modem ----> a other router?

is that right or am I wrong?

Correct.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

They support encryption just like wireless, so its safer than wireless IMO as more people will have wireless and be snooping around than homeplugs in YOUR complex.

True, but it's easier to hop on, and doesn't have to deal with how his "power-lines" flow.

The Coax Method is better, but in reality.. an Apartment isn't that big, so a Wireless Router - with AES encryption would be more ideal.

Overall, ethernet t IMO is the best; however using a wireless router would be less headaches.

Just turn off SSID broadcasting, allow only your MAC Addresses, and AES secure it. Really, if the person gets through all that then they're quite skilled.

The Coax device I think would be something like...

Modem -> Coax Device -> Router or another Coax Device -> Computer.

IMO go Coax or the above Wireless I listed.

I just wouldn't trust the Electric method, because then my network could be flowing all over on the powerlines.

Kind of same with the Coax, but IMO I favor that.

Wireless sucks for gaming.

The powerline and coax seem like the best options (assuming that running cat5 is out of the question).

With that said, I'm going powerline for my customer based on the fact that it is $80 cheaper and there isn't a coax outlet near both machines. So I'd be stringing coax or cat5 across the living room.

I have been using a 200mbps Homeplug for several months now, and while it is definitely faster than 802.11n 5Ghz, it still doesn't compare to true ethernet, even 100Base-T. This being said, I can stream HD over the line just fine.

Back