Entry Level HDMI 2.0 Card for Media Center?

thebeephaha

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a low power and quiet HDMI 2.0 capable video card for my media center to drive my 4K TV.

Right now it looks like an NVIDIA GTX 950 is the cheapest but I wanted to double check and make sure I'm not missing any cheaper options.

I could in theory just replace the whole system and use onboard Intel graphics with HDMI 2.0 but that would be even more expensive than just dropping in a card in my system which is already more than capable.

I'm not gaming, just 4K media.

Thoughts?

Yeah, looks like we wont see any amd card with HDMI 2.0 til amd Polaris. so 950 will probably be the only cheapest options...

Second options is to consider any cheap card that has DP 1.2 that can do 4K @60hz 4:4:4 and get an active DP 1.2 - HDMI 2.0 adapter. The adapter itself is around $30. So you have to figure that in also but there might be some slightly older or used card that you can get for cheaper than $70-80...

Thanks for the information. I might use my GTX 750 Ti I have in my main desktop and grab an active DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter sample from work and see how it does. I've been looking to upgrade my main rig anyways so that takes care of both scenarios.

FYI the 750 is getting the maxwell 2.0 treatment, in a revision. However I don't really know how you would identify one : Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Getting The Maxwell 2.0 Treatment - Will Be Upgraded to 'GM206-150-A1' Silicon

Also of note the Maxwell v1 750ti can do 4k60 over hdmi, but it does some funny stuff with the chroma, 4:2:0 vs 4:4:4 on the newer cards (hdmi 1.4 bandwidth limitations). So you might just try the card first to see if you notice the issues that present them selves, or just grab the adapter ;).

if you can find a Maxwell 2.0 750 that would be pretty good. I guess you have to some how go by the new model or part number if that's posted on the seller page. Maxwell 1 750 is just so and so....

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheapest solution is the use your current video card and buy a $30 adapter to convert the Displayport to HDMI 2.0. This is AMD's solution to a lack of HDMI 2.0 on their cards and it will work for all video cards; Nvidia included.

The (2) in the middle are the ones that you want.
Amazon.com: club 3d display port to hdmi 2.0

Accell adapter; slightly more expensive though.
Amazon.com: Accell B086B-011B DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter: Computers & Accessories

Looks like people are buying these left and right. club 3d still out of stock. and only 10 left of accell one?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was surprised at how cheap they were able to make these things.

After the $100 DP->DL-DVI adapters, I was expecting a similar price at launch. But at that that price, it's simply not an issue.

if you can find a Maxwell 2.0 750 that would be pretty good. I guess you have to some how go by the new model or part number if that's posted on the seller page. Maxwell 1 750 is just so and so....

Finding the GTX 750 SE is the trick isn't it? If anyone has a lead on these things, please reply! Really looking to move on from my GT 240 in my HTPC and get HEVC acceleration with GM206, but don't want to pay for gaming capability of GTX 950.

Back