Entire Cities Dead on Some World of Warcraft Realms

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
What started out on European servers and spread to US servers resulted in entire realms being killed off due to an exploit by hackers. A hotfix has now applied and servers should be back to normal operation. Blizzard takes a dim view of this exploit and is asking for any information relating to this disruption be sent straight to Blizzard.

They will probably blame everyone not using authenticators. Then later the people using authenticators for being "full of malware", and they personally check every account and it was totally their fault. Then just blame a cat or something.

Sort of funny in a way. Wish I could have seen the general chat logs of when it was happening.

"oh shit oh shit!"

I could sorta feel sorry for them if they lost experience from dying though.

I wonder if someone had to wield the Sword of a Thousand Truths

I was watching a Tichondrius Twitch stream at 7am and the streamer was getting killed over and over. Was pretty funny to see him rage on his stream.

I was watching a Tichondrius Twitch stream at 7am and the streamer was getting killed over and over. Was pretty funny to see him rage on his stream.

So people just sit there and watch other people play games? Sorry dude but that's pretty dumb.

I was reading this thread and saw "Entire Cities Dead..." and got all excited then read on with "...on Some World of Warcraft Realms" and it was a very deflating experience.

If anybody is thinking of anything but that southpark episode then I am ashamed of you........

So people just sit there and watch other people play games? Sorry dude but that's pretty dumb.

At home? No unless its a beta of a game im waiting to play. But at work/on the road absolutely. Finding that person who's in game comments as they play is pretty entertaining. Look at pewdiepie, guys got tons of viewers (me included) and all he does is play games and records it with a video cam Capturing his face/reactions and his comments. I enjoy it.

I am shocked how bad the graphics are. Glad I never played it.

I noticed that too... It almost makes Black Mesa look not totally ugly.

It's the same engine they've been using since launch in 2004. Can't think of many other engines that have lasted that long, maybe the Quake 3 engine?

Patches in WoW are not optional, and so any increases in WoW's system requirements tends to incite riots from Blizzard's player base. Tons of players got cut off when the Cataclysm patch dropped PowerPC support from the Mac client. The increased spell effects in ICC forced a lot of players with bad computers out of the 25-man raiding scene. Blizzard would rather keep the dated graphics than risk losing more subscribers.

I'd like to see a screen cap of the combat log during these deaths. Are these characters dying from events or player interactions?

Ok, now I see. There's some level 1 character cruising around and killing everyone. That's pretty funny.

It's the same engine they've been using since launch in 2004. Can't think of many other engines that have lasted that long, maybe the Quake 3 engine?

The Source engine has been around since 2004, as well, when HL2 was released. I don't know the specifics of the engine used in WoW, but certainly some graphical updates could have been done, no?

The Source engine has been around since 2004, as well, when HL2 was released. I don't know the specifics of the engine used in WoW, but certainly some graphical updates could have been done, no?

It's dated as hell. They added some DX 10 or 11 stuff a few years ago but for the most part it remains the same.

It has a DX11 path AND a 64 bit build... both of which are just purely for performance, but add to it quite well. Plus the whole world is streaming, no loads except for when it switches continents / goes into an instance and only takes about a second.

It's not really that bad. The older content looks worse, the new stuff can be quite nice.

Am I the only person who doesn't think WoW looks that bad? I played at 5760x1200, 4X AA max effects during Wrath and it looked pleasant. It's a cartoony game, but certainly not ugly.

Am I the only person who doesn't think WoW looks that bad? I played at 5760x1200, 4X AA max effects during Wrath and it looked pleasant. It's a cartoony game, but certainly not ugly.

WoW has it's own look and feel. Although I regret the years I spent playing it, I still miss it from time to time.

Any word on how it worked, on a general level. I have no interest in doing it myself, so I don't need specifics, but it would be nice to know where they missed something. Was it an item that had unintended consequences, a developer code accidentally left in, or some other, more complete, hack?

Logging off and never playing again is a solution to this exploit.

No, you're not. I played it for 3.5 years before I finally quit and I enjoy the art style of the game. Some people think everything has to look like Crysis other wise it "looks horrible".

Gameplay and fun > Graphics.

I noticed that too... It almost makes Black Mesa look not totally ugly.

Though I didn't play the Alliance faction very much (the video on the front page is an Alliance capital city), the game definitely looked way more pleasing than that. I think the guy recording had shadows turned completely off. Even the original game had shadows baked in most areas to give it good atmosphere, but ever since they introduced real-time shadows, they might have removed the "baked in" ones. The game looks way more stale without shadows than it does with shadows.

The game has been the same graphically since 2004. Get over it.

Also this is funny as hell. Blizzard loves to point the finger at everyone else for hacks of any kind but clearly this is a server side hack from a exploited client. Can't wait to hear Ghostcrawler's BS PR roll for this little treat.

Back