Enterprise Level Wireless (802.11b/g)

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by ShimmyT, Nov 21, 2005.

1. ShimmyT

ShimmyT Gawd

I work inside of a fairly large building with a conference center (holds about 300 people). We are looking to put in a more robust wireless networking setup in. We would like to host events where the majority of the users bring in their own laptops, with our current users using their laptops. Currently we are running 3 Apple Airport Extremes over there now, and they do well for what we are doing now but we would like something that could provide us some reporting, and more enterprise style control. Also something that would have the power to have more then 10 or 15 users max would be nice. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. figgie

figgie [H]ardness Supreme

3. Boscoh

Boscoh [H]ard|Gawd

I thought the Airport Extreme had a lot of enterprise-class management features...SNMP, 802.1x, LEAP support, a management app, etc. What exactly are you looking for?

Your best bet for enterprise-class stuff is likely Cisco and Proxim. The Cisco 1240 and one of the Proxim 4000 series sound about right for your environment. But again, I'd investigate the Airport Extreme and make sure that you are not overlooking some management features, and dont kill your investment.

4. Boscoh

Boscoh [H]ard|Gawd

Cool...I didnt know Extreme made wireless stuff...yeah, Extreme has some REALLY nice gear.

5. Lazn_Work

Lazn_Work [H]ardness Supreme

6. ShimmyT

ShimmyT Gawd

The main problem we have with the Airport Extreme's are that they don't like to have more then 10 users on them. I was hoping there would be something with more power. Or maybe I am completely wrong in what is available out there.

7. oakfan52

oakfan52 [H]ard|Gawd

WE use Aruba products in our enterprise.

8. DESmack

DESmack [H]Lite

9. moetop

moetop [H]ard|Gawd

If your going to look at Cisco look at the new stuff. a long time ago they bought Aironet, and that was their standard.. Recently they bought Airspace, and from most indications that is going to be the way they go.

So if your looking at Cisco and their management solutions, I would suggest looking at the airespace stuff.

The WLSE and now the WCS for the Airespace stuff gives you a ton of ways to manageg your wireless network. Look here

10. Boscoh

Boscoh [H]ard|Gawd

253 users on an 802.11g access point? Damn...that have to be pretty sluggish.

I personally dont like going over 20 users on an access point. A lot less than that if you're looking at users moving files around the LAN a lot. But I come from more of a business environment, not large conference centers like you guys are dealing with.

11. oakfan52

oakfan52 [H]ard|Gawd

that why we put an Aurba AP every 20' or so so they all over lap for fault tolerance and better load distrubution. Thats tough to do with Cisco because of the cost. Even for a Comant of our size (well over 250 IT employees).

12. niccoli

niccoli Limp Gawd

Just put in a cisco wireless solution for a customer. Using a Cisco Wireless controller and Aironet 1200a/b/g, great solution, 802.1x and the wireless controller does rouge detection, wireless survey's and will automatically adjust wireless signal strength so your AP's don't overlap, also supports fast ap switching so users and wireless VoIP phones can roam from ap to ap.

13. ShimmyT

ShimmyT Gawd

We're really trying to avoid the cisco route (damn marconi shit). I do like that 3com idea. What does everyone think about having just 4 airport extremes (another idea someone suggested) to handle the rooms? I'm just worried about too many people in one section jumping on one airport and it not load balancing properly.

14. Boscoh

Boscoh [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe I missed something, but what "marconi shit" are you referring to?

15. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g 2[H]4U

I recall M$ replacing all their model year 1999 Cisco networking gear with those Aruba products (which I found to be odd)...isn't Cisco supposed to be the best? :confused:

16. Lazn_Work

Lazn_Work [H]ardness Supreme

Nope Cisco is great for a single provider of everything, but in each niche there are better products.

Foundry is better at enterprise security and 7 layer switching, Juniper is better at high end routers etc.

But if you want a single provider, or if you are not high end enough to afford the above brands Cisco is hard to beat.

==>Lazn