Enterprise Backup Solution

Sniper|3d-R|

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello all!

I posted about a month ago that I'm in search for a disk-2-disk backup software. I'm still looking for the best possible solution. At this point I've downloaded trials of all the software suites I can, install them and try them out on a smaller scale network. I've been playing with these multiple backup software for awhile now, and I'm rather burnt out. :mad:

The network has around 30 servers, and about 50-100 workstations that will need this backup solution. We have Windows, and linux box's. Let me know if you need more info.

I'm looking for the following features:
*Capable of filtering files and directories when backup.
*Capable of a revision when backup of the file with same name
*Capable of running report and listing files backup daily
*Capable of scheduling backup
*Capable of remote access application is referred (Web-base is good)
*Capable of settings alert and email configure

Just about every application I've tested has some sort of "client" software you have to install. I DO NOT want this, but in the end it looks like I may.

Software Already Tested:
*Arctor Disk-To-Disk Backup
*Bakbone Netvault Backup
*EMC Retrospect Multi Server v7.5
*Acronis True Image Enterprise Server
*Genie Backup Manager Server v7/v8

Looked into, but have not tried:
*Atempo LiveBackup
*Symantec Backup Exec (no demo) - want to try, manager checking on demo
*CommVault Galaxy

Anyone in IT, or an admin role that HAS in place, or looking for a backup solution have any suggestions? At this point management really wants reports, and the ability to backup a file with the same name. Thanks all for your time, and assistance! :)

I personally use Symantec BackupExec and I can vouch for it being a pretty snazzy piece of software. There's a lot of options and rules and policies you can set up. I back up the servers nightly onto SCSI LTO-2 200/400gb tape drives.

Every morning, I just swap out the tapes and reuse them monthly (20 tapes, 5 days a week for 4 weeks, then reuse them after using the last tape). BackupExec does everything else on its own.

BackupExec can also use Microsoft SQL (we use MSSQL 2005) for database purpose.

It emails you if there's a problem too.

FYI, Symantec and Vertitas BackupExec are the same.

This is a very complete software. I think this might do everything you want it to do and more.

edit: I'm not sure if it can be controlled via web interface. I remote into the server using RDC if I want to mess with it, but so far there's never been a reason to mess with it. It just works.

Azhar, Thanks for the info on backup exec! I had my manager give em a call/email to see if we can get a demo. I've been researching lots and found that alot of people use backup exec and they love it.

It's good to see that you're using it, and its working for you.

Thanks again!

I personally use Symantec BackupExec and I can vouch for it being a pretty snazzy piece of software. There's a lot of options and rules and policies you can set up. I back up the servers nightly onto SCSI LTO-2 200/400gb tape drives.

Yea thats a good combo for backups. Those LTO drives are pretty quick too. Trying to get more of are clients to move to them.

Anyway backup exec does a pretty good job. I'm not going to say it just works as I've seen a lot of issues with it but version 11 is pretty nice. We have backup exec running on maybe 30 clients servers or so backing up to various types of tape drives and hard drives. Get emails every morning saying it ran fine or didn't. I've also seen issues with the IDR recovery in it before but haven't messed with that feature in 11 yet.

Overall I would recomend looking at it. It has worked better then a lot of other solutions I've seen over the years.

Back