Enjoying my Nexus S

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I have to say Im really enjoying my NS. This year I went from N1 to Droid X, to WP7, HD2/android and now to the NS. For me this is by far the best Android phone I have ever used. Screen is beautiful and the Vanilla Android experience cant be beat. A winner for me.

Last edited:
/me notes harsaphes is definitely afflicted with that dreaded tech disease known as Upgraditis, of which there is no known or even a foreseeable cure expected... ;)

Oh yeah, no doubt. Its not upgradeitis though. My friends work for Google and Moto so I always am being given whatever new phone there is. But even so the NS is a winner.

Was thinking about moving to the Nexus S until supercurio ported the entire kernel to the galaxy s series. Only a matter of time before we have fully functioning gingerbread :D

Enjoy the phone dude!

Just given new phones for shits and giggles? Good lord... I'd say start tossing me your leftovers but, I bet you suffer from Packratitis too and never get rid of 'em. :D

Just given new phones for shits and giggles? Good lord... I'd say start tossing me your leftovers but, I bet you suffer from Packratitis too and never get rid of 'em. :D

Haha I sell all of mine, only way I can recoup the near $700 in etfs I paid this year. HD2, EVO, Nexus One, iPhone 4, Droid X, Droid 2 Global, N97, N900. Its not even upgrading for some of them its just plain curiosity.

Was thinking about moving to the Nexus S until supercurio ported the entire kernel to the galaxy s series. Only a matter of time before we have fully functioning gingerbread :D

Enjoy the phone dude!

This. :D

Loving mine as well. Went from Iphone 2g on Tmo to HD7 back to Iphone 2g and now the NS. It really is a nice phone.

A Galaxy S with stock Android, NFC, no micro-SD expansion, no 4g support, but like every device it has strong and weak points.

If I was a T-Mobile subscriber I'd consider it.

I would love to give the Nexus S a chance, but I just got an Evo on thursday since I'm with Sprint. Can't wait to check out the Evo Shift 4G when it drops. I love keyboards and that's enough to compensate for a smaller screen.

Does the new keyboard layout actually make for a different user experience?

There are rips of the gingerbread keyboard all over the net, you can easily find one for your phone. To answer your question, yes, the new keyboard is amazing, easily on par with the iphone keyboard as far as typing accuracy and autocorrect is concerned. Its so good I've permamnently switched over from swype (and im a swype ADDICT). This entire post was hammered out on the gingerbread keyboard :)

I may be looking to drop my D2G for one. Just worried about not getting a refund of my activation fees and the $35 restocking fee. Reason I like the D2G is the slider, but the battery life, over heating, and the lag is killing me.

no HSPA+ and no SD card killed the prospect for me. I'm running Cyanogen 6.1 on my N1 and I've not seen a phone so far that has blown me away to the point of "man, I _need_ to upgrade"

sorry to thread necro, but just thought I'd toss my two cents in here.

i will stick with my n1.
the nexus s isnt what i expected or hoped.

This is where I'm at with my N1 - spec-wise, there's nothing in the Nexus S for me to get too excited about (though I like the idea of a larger screen). Gingerbread will arrive via Cyanogenmod for the N1 soon enough, and while near field communication is a great tech demo and I think it will have some cool applications in the future, it's not exactly must-have tech today.

Further compounding all of this is that I went to Best Buy to check out the phone in person and was really disappointed with the feel of the hardware. The glossy plastic is very cheap compared to the soft touch material and metal used on the N1, and the super AMOLED screen's blue tint was a bit distracting (perhaps the lighting in Best Buy exaggerated the tint). The processor and other specs just aren't enough of an upgrade to warrant my interest, particularly given every software feature will make it onto my current phone.

Sad, but since I don't want to have to rely on security loopholes to maintain a modded phone, I guess that means I'm waiting for the Nexus 3.

The CPU of the NS isn't as powerful as the snapdragon gen 2, i like to web browse and the faster CPU really help smoothing things out when zooming, scrolling. Even at stock the G2 or MT4G are faster phones, yeah the NS may have a faster GPU but if i wanted to game i have my ipad and i can game for hours away of the outlet.

So in summary i am not disappointed at the NS but at 2.3, there was rumors of better integration with social networking, gpu accelerated ui, and better looking os and in turn you get the same plain jane stock look and few things added like NFC, keyboard and few little touch ups people don't really care.

The NS is a pointless phone to get, next quater the dual core phones will come out, you may still have support from google but no amount of software optimization can overcome the limits of the already limited hardware that the Galaxy S series has.

The CPU of the NS isn't as powerful as the snapdragon gen 2, i like to web browse and the faster CPU really help smoothing things out when zooming, scrolling. Even at stock the G2 or MT4G are faster phones, yeah the NS may have a faster GPU but if i wanted to game i have my ipad and i can game for hours away of the outlet.

So in summary i am not disappointed at the NS but at 2.3, there was rumors of better integration with social networking, gpu accelerated ui, and better looking os and in turn you get the same plain jane stock look and few things added like NFC, keyboard and few little touch ups people don't really care.

The NS is a pointless phone to get, next quater the dual core phones will come out, you may still have support from google but no amount of software optimization can overcome the limits of the already limited hardware that the Galaxy S series has.

The keyboard is another element of 2.3 that I'm "meh" about since I've been using Swype ever since I got my N1. BTW I don't think dual core snapdragons will be here for a little while, if I remember correctly they're scheduled to sample early next year which means they will likely not be in phones until 2012 or so (regardless, we'll have to hope battery life doesn't get any worse). If you're referring to the HTC Thunderbolt specs that have been floating around, they look bullshit to me..

The keyboard is another element of 2.3 that I'm "meh" about since I've been using Swype ever since I got my N1. BTW I don't think dual core snapdragons will be here for a little while, if I remember correctly they're scheduled to sample early next year which means they will likely not be in phones until 2012 or so (regardless, we'll have to hope battery life doesn't get any worse). If you're referring to the HTC Thunderbolt specs that have been floating around, they look bullshit to me..

The dual core phones can't be that far since google is developing honeycomb on Tegra tablets. I just said next Q from the news i read but it sure will be before 2011 ends. But we will know for sure once CES 2011 takes place.

The HTC thunderbolt is another boring phone, HTC has rebadged the HD2 into HD7, Desire HD and god knows what more HD phones will come out. While the HD2 itself is another rebadge of the old classic touch HD.

Limited hardware? Seriously? Have you actually ever used the phone? The hummingbird is one of the speediest mobile processors available currently, and the ext4 filesystem makes the nexus s the smoothest android device to date. The g2 and m4tg are great phones, but the nexus s is a better, period.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The dual core phones can't be that far since google is developing honeycomb on Tegra tablets. I just said next Q from the news i read but it sure will be before 2011 ends. But we will know for sure once CES 2011 takes place.

I guess I mistakenly thought you were specifically referring to the dual core snapdragons which are supposed to be sampling at some point this year, which pegs them arriving at best Q4 2011/2012.

But you're right, Tegra 2 is on the horizon...

I was really looking hard at the Nexus S as an upgrade for my iPhone 3GS but I just cant move with a Cortex A8 based phone at this point in time (with A9's literally just around the corner). I love literally everything else about the phone though and would buy it in a heartbeat otherwise. I live in NYC so 4G would be nice but I can live without that for a year or two.

Why are you guys so anxious for more power? The Cortex A8 slices through Android like butter, there is no need for anything more powerful at this point.

Its fine for android today, but im absolutely sure the A9 will be used in a year or so. Besides that there is High Def decoding, and probably the biggest thing of all - there will be approximately 11 billion android tablets on the market this year with Tegra 2. Poeple will take advantage of that power, the apps will unoubtably trickle down to phones, and I want compatability with them.

Limited hardware? Seriously? Have you actually ever used the phone? The hummingbird is one of the speediest mobile processors available currently, and the ext4 filesystem makes the nexus s the smoothest android device to date. The g2 and m4tg are great phones, but the nexus s is a better, period.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Actually I have owned the vibrant, used the ns a few days before returning it and using a mt4, it is my personal opinion but the ns loses a lot when. Scrolling and zooming webpages plus the phone feels less snappy than the mt or a oced g2, just because google puts their name in a phone doesn't mean is the best there is.
Look at this video the desire hd wins hands down, yeah I still think the ns is a pointless phone, google just had to throw it out there cuz of the holiday season
Matter fact the n1 which I also own is a piece of shit with tiny speaker half broken touch panel and overheating CPU. Oh btw I still own that phone.

Last edited:
Actually I have owned the vibrant, used the ns a few days before returning it and using a mt4, it is my personal opinion but the ns loses a lot when. Scrolling and zooming webpages plus the phone feels less snappy than the mt or a oced g2, just because google puts their name in a phone doesn't mean is the best there is.
Look at this video http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITZzQ8-4PI&sns=em the desire hd wins hands down, yeah I still think the ns is a pointless phone, google just had to throw it out there cuz of the holiday season
Matter fact the n1 which I also own is a piece of shit with tiny speaker half broken touch panel and overheating CPU. Oh btw I still own that phone.

Video doesn't work-are you sure you didn't have flash player installed on the Vibrant/NS? That slows down scrolling and pinch to zoom considerably in the browser.

Personally I have a Vibrant and I am incredibly satisfied-it beats up on the entire Droid line, and is easier to modify than the G2 and MT. Fantastic performance all around with a proper ROM once you get rid of the RFS filesystem. For people who already have current gen devices, I agree that the NS is pointless and a sidestep at best, but for people in the market for a new phone, it is hard to not recommend solely because it is a "pure" Android device that will get the latest updates first without any of the carrier bloatware to tie it down.

Video doesn't work-are you sure you didn't have flash player installed on the Vibrant/NS? That slows down scrolling and pinch to zoom considerably in the browser.

Personally I have a Vibrant and I am incredibly satisfied-it beats up on the entire Droid line, and is easier to modify than the G2 and MT. Fantastic performance all around with a proper ROM once you get rid of the RFS filesystem. For people who already have current gen devices, I agree that the NS is pointless and a sidestep at best, but for people in the market for a new phone, it is hard to not recommend solely because it is a "pure" Android device that will get the latest updates first without any of the carrier bloatware to tie it down.

Here is the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITZzQ8-4PI i fixed it i was using the ipad when copying the link.

Well for someone that uses the phone mostly for sms, email, voice and one or two apps...the phone is great for me. Its very fast..dont know how you would want it to be any faster. And just the size bump from the N1 is good enough for me...plus Vanilla Android.

Hah, I was just about to look for this.... seeing all these people upgrade from a better android phone then mine and saying its awesome just makes me want it that much more..... I am still using android 1.6 on the HTC Dream :eek: (still does almost anything and everything, and I can easily run android 2.2 with the new cyanogen mod but I still run good ole stock :D)

I am highly, highly thinking about upgrading to the nexus S though after seeing the good reviews so far. The screen is dull on mine, its clunky, and the battery supposedly blows hard compared to the newer android phones

the only concern/reservation I would caution you about is the lack of SD card (if that's important to you).

Look at this video the desire hd wins hands down, yeah I still think the ns is a pointless phone, google just had to throw it out there cuz of the holiday season
Reading your comments it would seem you are talking about a completely different phone than my Galaxy S Captivate with a modded Froyo ROM.
None of that holds true for my phone mate. :rolleyes:

Back