Enhanced IOS on standard Cisco switch?

mike2323

Weaksauce
I have a 3560-24-PS-S (standard IOS cisco switch) and have a basic smartnet contract on the switch. Is there any reason why I can't just go and install an EMI (enhanced IOS) on the switch? It has sufficient memory (flash/RAM).

If you didn't pay for EMI, you're not entitled to use it. To do so would be illegal. SmartNet doesn't cover major upgrades (ie, 12.3 to 12.4) or feature set changes (SMI to EMI, or IP Base to Adv. IP Services on routers). SmartNet just covers maintenance releases such as 12.3(1) to 12.3(12), and technical support.

I'm sure Cisco has to be completely aware that nobody is abiding by such rules.

mike2323 said:

Let me know what Image you want and I can get it for you.

I can get any IOS image I want as well. I was just questioning the legalities of it all.

You can be pretty damn sure that corporations do abide by the rules. Especially if they have a service contract.

mike2323 said:

Yep. They know. When you call TAC and you're using a software image that you're not entitled to, your Cisco account manager gives you a phone call shortly after.

If I am using an extra switch or router to learn on I will put the different IOS's on it to experiment.

If I have a switch/router being used in a production environment I use the IOS that was legally purchased for it.

When it comes to your business don't gamble with illegal use of software. Chances are you will not get caught but if you do the fines are very high.

Malk-a-mite said:
All it takes is one unhappy tech......

Actually all it takes is one anonymous phone call. Does not even have to be one of your employees.

Please explain why you think it's BS. Cisco does not put anything on their devices (except the PIX/ASA which requires a license code) to ensure you're running what you are entitled to. It primarily works on the honor system. Running something you haven't paid for is theft...just like downloading Windows XP Pro and using it without paying for it.

Corporations play the game because they know that in business, mutual trust means a lot. If you're running pirated versions of my software, I'm simply not going to trust you, and that is going to spill over into our business interactions.

Back