English-Only Video Games Prohibited if French Version Exists

HardOCP News

[H] News
Could you imagine trying to get away with something like this in the United States? You’d be sued so fast your head would spin…in a multitude of different languages.

That's exactly the way Quebec wants it, from now on. French language rules on video games come into force today prohibiting the sale of new English-only video games in Quebec if a French version is available.

Quebec is the worst province/region in North America. Highest tax rates, worst roads, and now this! :rolleyes:

Makes sense to me. It was quite annoying to me to find that Steam's version of STALKER was enUS-only, no Russian option (I'm fluent). Now, people in Quebec won't have to deal with the same problem anymore.

French speakers are always pulling stuff like this, be it in Canada or France itself. It's French policy to be an ass; if you are reasonable you will be fined.

So they created this law to "promote and protect the French language". But from what? Better yet: why?

They make is sound like the French language is being corrupt, but all languages evolve over time.

So they created this law to "promote and protect the French language". But from what? Better yet: why?

They make is sound like the French language is being corrupt, but all languages evolve over time.

They must be afraid of the English language.

how is this different from them wrecking the art on game packaging because they need to cram the spanish version on it here in america?

The whole thing is just an attempt at keeping French (the language) from fading into obscurity. It's like an ongoing inferiority complex for the French-speaking. Quite sad.

The whole thing is just an attempt at keeping French (the language) from fading into obscurity. It's like an ongoing inferiority complex for the French-speaking. Quite sad.

The French language already has faded into obscurity in the Americas? It's primarily Spanish and English now, and eventually, prolly just Spanish. For jobs in Canada outside of Quebec, or in the US they have to know English anyway. So what's the point, beside making themselves look like language xenophobes.

The French language has comparatively little use outside of Quebec or France when compared to Spanish and English. Hell, I'd wager Ebonics is more widely spoken than French is. ;)

The French language already has faded into obscurity in the Americas? It's primarily Spanish and English now, and eventually, prolly just Spanish. For jobs in Canada outside of Quebec, or in the US they have to know English anyway. So what's the point, beside making themselves look like language xenophobes.

The French language has comparatively little use outside of Quebec or France when compared to Spanish and English. Hell, I'd wager Ebonics is more widely spoken than French is. ;)

French is the 10th most spoken language in the world.

English is not 1st, BTW.

These laws are ridiculous. When I got Final Fantasy 9 almost 10 years ago (I feel so old, sigh), the manual was only in French. There's tons of other ridiculous language laws in Quebec too. For example, if a business chooses to put up a sign in English, it must be at most half the size of the French sign. French is becoming obscure in NA, and Quebec doesn't want to let it go.

I see this backfiring on the area. Companies just won't spend the extra cash to deal with the issues. It has already happened up there with other products.

Yeah considering there's other places that keepo the language alive and well like France.

When I read the title I immediately thought of Quebec

Go figure.

Reread my earlier post . I said the Americas. Which, last time I checked did include Quebec, but did not include China.

GORANKAR 2[H]4U, 8.7 Years

GORANKAR is offline Report Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviathanZERO View Post
French is the 10th most spoken language in the world.

English is not 1st, BTW.

No Spanish is, and the gulf widens daily. What about my post led you believe I thought otherwise.

Really? You were replying to that guy, who said "in the world", to which you replied and said "spanish is". Anyone who speaks english would take that to mean that you were referring to the same thing...the world.

simple solution to this problem: Don't make French versions of video games...........

simple solution to this problem: Don't make French versions of video games...........

Why not? It's easy money for developers. They only need to work on one level because the French will surrender to the level boss. :D

Back