Engineers Propose 'Network Cookies' As Net Neutrality Fix

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you guys think about this? The concept seems simple enough and cookies have been around forever. Mmmm, cookies. ;)

Engineers at Stanford claim they've concocted a novel solution for the ongoing problem of net neutrality: "network cookies" that let broadband consumers choose for themselves which packets get priority as they stumble about the larger internet. Detailed in a new research paper (pdf), the engineers propose a small piece of data users can attach to their packets, which are detected by the network to determine the "state associated with this cookie" and apply the desired quality of service.

So it is something we already had, and somehow we have to get it back.

<eyeroll>

This 'solution' to enforce net neutrality relies on the cooperation of the same ISPs that want to violate net neutrality. It would be easier to enforce basic net neutrality via legislation then pass legislation to enforce the proper use of these packets.

Consumers will be ignorant to it, developers will decide for them that some (competing) apps need less priority, and ISPs will strip the data from packets.

It would probably fall on router manufacturers to come up with some scheme to identify and apply reasonable priority to different packets, with options for the knowledgeable to tweak it as they see fit. I agree, your average consumer would be clueless.

I don't like it because it would be rather simple to listen somewhere in the middle and adjust the cookie without the end user knowing. This is pretty much why QoS only works well at egress of a network. Now that I think about it, all this cookie really does is give you ingress QoS. Yeah, I don't like it.

It would probably fall on router manufacturers to come up with some scheme to identify and apply reasonable priority to different packets, with options for the knowledgeable to tweak it as they see fit. I agree, your average consumer would be clueless.
Have you never heard of Quality of Service (QoS)? It does exactly that and has been around since 1994. You can find QoS on any consumer router that isn't sub $50 piece of shit.

Have you never heard of Quality of Service (QoS)? It does exactly that and has been around since 1994. You can find QoS on any consumer router that isn't sub $50 piece of shit.

True. Usually doesn't work very well at high bandwidth though, and is mostly a fail on downstream bandwidth.

Slightly better if you use a newer Codel based queue, but still.

Let's just get it over with and go to metered throughput and every can pay their fair share. Jesus this is ridiculous.

Why use more bandwidth for nothing? Adding packets for something doesn't fix anything. It just uses more bandwidth for those that are already bandwidth constrained.
On top of that you end up making things more complicated for anyone that actually has to deal with the packets.

What ever happened to the "KISS" philosophy with computing?

We already have the layout of how the internet is. Leave it free, unhampered by anything. ISP's shouldn't be using QoS of any sort imo and the only ones that should are the people at there homes or business's. An ISP should just be your connection and nothing else. They shouldn't police, they shouldn't manage anything on the network except keeping it running.
The only thing I agree with is that everything should be encrypted except for packets for gaming to keep the latency as low as possible. :D

Who knows I might be retarded.....

Cookies.
sisko-facepalm-2.gif

We already have a QoS/prioritization solution and it is ROUTINELY ignored. It's even part of several RFCs.

Google DSCP tagging.

Imagine if anyone/everyone can mark their packets to be highest priority. Also Imagine that ANYONE on the path between the end user & the requested content can ignore these "cookies".

What could possibly go wrong?

QoS being ignored on the public internet is pretty much why point to point connections and/or MPLS exists.

Reactions: blkt
like this
its like email. always send yours with the top priority flag cause you are a special little snowflag :D.

No, this is just as stupid as the "do not track" flag. It's not a real solution, I.E. one that prevents the problem, it just ASKS the people screwing you over not to. It doesn't DO anything.

How about .... Bite Me Mr ISP.

You get paid WAY too much as it is for Data over my internet connection. What the FUCK does the Content have to do with anything, WHY are you even involved in the content or where it came from? Seriously, it's like the Post Office opening/reading your mail to decide how much to charge for the Stamp ... Da Fuq. I pay $$ for XGB @ YGB/s transfer rate. The rest is none of you business, just DO IT. If it is costing you too much RAISE RATES .... and Free Market Competition* will take care of the rest.

*Oh yeah, that would require free market competition, not a handful of defacto monopolies feeding us a line of BULLSHIT.

Just what we need, more useless data to eat our caps and congest the systems.

Just what advertisers want, yet another vector to push the shit that no one wants to see.

Back