Engineering Grad Invents Headphones That Never Tangle

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now that somebody has invented headphones that never tangle, they should get to work on yarn and Christmas tree lights next. Those things are a pain in the ass too. ;)

Three-and-a-half days of our lives are spent untangling earbuds. This is the premise on which 1994 Engineering graduate Vanessa Chan markets her new product loopit, a pair of earbuds that rarely tangle due to a patent pending magnetic clasp. Chan, a Philadelphia resident and mother of two, founded the company re.design — which produces loopit — after leaving her position as a partner at McKinsey & Company to follow her passion for "making everyday products simply better.”

Someone please invent an extension cable that has self adjusting length. Just had my headphone extension cable get stuck under my computer chair wheel and now it is NFG. I know there is spiral extension cables but they are too heavy.

... I don't get it. For that amount of money might as well just go Bluetooth.

I know there is spiral extension cables but they are too heavy.
Well, damn. I can't read. I think there is no solution that is light weight. Cordless have batteries, spring wound retractable have a spring that applies pressure just like weight would, and coiled are just plain heavy. What I did at work is use a bit of velcro (with the cable between the two sides) on the edge of the desk that would allow me to adjust how much slack I want and keep the rest away from my chair.

I was going to say that there has been science that has shown that cords will naturally want to tangle and knot themselves if given enough "tumbles" only to see that this "design" simply attaches the earbuds to the plug via a magnet.. so to stop tangles you simply attach the ends. MIT grad right there folks!

The supposedly patentable "new" miracle idea is to thread the cable through a metal chain... my grandmother has antique lamps from the early days of insulated wire that use this method.

Okay, actually looking at the kickstarter and the patent idea is a magnetic clasp? That's even older than running a wire through a chain.

It solves the problem, although it brings a whole new issue with the weight!
There is a market for this though.

My Razer mouse and Steelseries gaming headset both have tangle free cords...

Razer-Deathadder-World-Of-Tanks-version-6400DPI-gaming-mouse-WOT-version-Fast-Free-shipping.jpg

Just flattening the cable makes it harder to tangle. Its cheaper too. This lady is smart though, plenty of sheeple who won't see through this and just buy it to support her as a woman business leader.

I've been using earbuds with flat cables for a few years now and I'll never go back.

She just braided the cords? Right.

No she added a magnetic clasp near the earbuds and by the plug. I guess the theory is to keep the cords from wrapping around each other by having both ends stuck together. Nothing special.

One issue I have with this is them calling her an engineering grad, I could see if she just got out of college but after 20 years you aren't a grad, you are either an engineer or a failure at being an engineer. Your degree is meaningless at that point as you have had it for decades. So I am guessing she hasn't done anything else in the last 22 years

Back