Engadget: This double-height keyboard puts a numpad above the letters

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Snowdog, May 30, 2019.

1. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Why does a keyboard need a handle? Its supposed to sit stationary on the desk.

2. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

I’m barely old enough to remember the glory days of strafing with the direction keys.

Keep up the good life. I love and support you.

3. ThatITGuy

ThatITGuy Limp Gawd

Like the idea of that, but i would prefer slightly larger WASD keys (and positioned more like the arrow keys), with the hotkeys positioned around that. I have even thought about a thumb stick, like the tartarus/orbweaver but not sure if i would be able to get used to that. Plus with these being off the keyboard, it is far more difficult to quickly type in chat.

4. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

Quirky. I kind of like it to be honest, new is sometimes nice. English Engadget has some of the most odd commentary I've seen (far cry from the JP one which I read daily).

5. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

Because it always good for effectivenss to replace a memorised layout ...
    This is bar far at best a niche product and at worst tottaly idiotic

Also moving hands from side to side is way more natural than up and down.

6. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

You have to up your game to ESDF.

otg and BiH115 like this.
  7. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

I tried once back in my heyday with WoW. By "tried", I mean I gave it a shot for about 5 minutes, then I didn't feel like putting in further effort. I can see it's validity though, opens up W, Q, and A.

8. sharknice

sharknice [H]ard|Gawd

Also you wouldn't be able to rest your wrist when you use the numpad. Well you could, you would just be spamming juihkguh in your numbers. It almost defeats the entire purpose of this keyboard.

SvenBent and Armenius like this.
  9. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

I mean, the position of the keys is exactly the same, so it shouldn't be hard to acclimate to it. Your pinky may be confused at first, but I don't think that is hard to adjust to. ESDF is also keeping your hand in the natural position on the home row.

BiH115 likes this.
  10. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

Believe me, I absolutely understand all points, and you're right that it wouldn't take too long, but I just never really stuck with it. WASD honestly works just fine for me, and I can do nearly everything I want with that layout with any game.

11. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

By far the best solution that i've found and that I use is having a Tenkeyless keyboard and a cheap wireless numpad that I take out whenever I need it (which is incredibly rarely).

I use the Logitech G410 Tenkeyless and this cheap 2.4GHz wireless numpad. A single AA battery lasted me what seemed like a year.

81zOdJh9P3L._SX425_.jpg s-l300.jpg

12. JustinCorrigible

JustinCorrigible Gawd

I cannot function on a computer keyboard without a numpad. If I'm gonna have to type in IP addresses, or numbers quickly in general... no frigging way I'm doing it without a numpad, let alone one above the rest of the keyboard like this abomination.

CaptNumbNutz, Burticus and Armenius like this.
  13. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

Obviously everyone knows that but are you really crunching numbers and entering IP addresses that often when you are at home? Unless you play flight simulators a lot I doubt you're using much of the num pad at home.

14. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

I use it any time I'm entering more than one or two numbers, it's really convenient (and I wouldn't want to have to pull out a separate numpad just to have a short kb. Which is why I got a coolermaster storm quickfire tk.
    20190531073117.JPG

15. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Claymore-Mechanical-Cherry-Red/dp/B01NH58I8J

goto 4:53 in this video to see the Asus ROG Claymore. Detachable 10 key and can attach to either side (not wireless tho)..

Only $249, bargain *cough cough*

16. JustinCorrigible

JustinCorrigible Gawd

Yes, actually, more than you assume. The only time I use the numbers above the qwerty is for the special characters. I am also doing a lot of adding new IP ranges, etc. for exceptions and block lists in my firewall. Pretty much the only reasons I'm using my computer anymore since having children. I would love to be able to play a flight sim.

17. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

BOOO!!

that thing looks awful

18. Todd Walter

Todd Walter Gawd

Z's not old or he'd remember that WASD was the default because the 5150 didn't have an island of arrow keys and the numeric keypad used different scan codes. It's just you whippersnappers that need that kind of crutch!;)

Krazy925, Armenius and sharknice like this.
  19. tempertantrum

tempertantrum Limp Gawd

Wow, that seems like a lot of wasted movement to do basic stuff. When milliseconds count, moving fingers all the way up to the backspace key and back to reload would drive me nuts. It would be interesting to see someone do a theoretical analysis of a minimum time to execute layout...

20. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

I remember when everyone started buying those stupid Logitech and razer single handed keyboard devices. I could never get used to it.

21. Todd Walter

Todd Walter Gawd

Yeah, muscle memory needs an anchor point. Those keypads were too small to provide one. They were somewhat useful for the CAD set as it left more room for the digitizer.

22. vick1000

vick1000 [H]ard|Gawd

Needs a flight stick right in the middle. NB4 foto-shoop.

When I first read the title, I though it would be hovering above, like a two story KB.

23. vick1000

vick1000 [H]ard|Gawd

Armenius likes this.
  24. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

Wtf is this layout. It's not even close to a normal qwerty board... seriously this is awful.

25. Aix.

Aix. [H]ard|Gawd

So you're expected to sit in a position where you can comfortably type... And now you get to reach forward a bunch and hover your palms above the rest of the keys while you try to use the number keys? How is that good from either an ergonomic or convenience standpoint?

From a gaming perspective I dislike moving "up" from WASD on the keyboard for any reason, and I've been gaming on Nostromo/G13/Tartarus gamepads for a good 10 years now to avoid it. This thing does not appeal...