Engadget: Apple finally reveals the new Mac Pro

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
And this time it looks even more like a Cheese Grater, and so does the monitor...

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/03/apple-finally-reveals-the-new-mac-pro/
com%2Fimages%2Fdims%3Fresize%3D2000%252C2000%252Cshrink%26image_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fs.yimg.jpg

Apple reveals first new Mac Pro since 2013

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-2.20.16-PM-800x500.png

Monitor looks insane, like it will cost as much as a car. Looks to have some kind of FALD. The cheese grater back is for cooling the beast:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14479/the-apple-wwdc-2019-keynote-live-blog
Screenshot_261_575px.png

Screenshot_267.png

Screenshot_274_575px.png

Last edited:
"Where's the monitor?"
"It's right there, sir. You just can't see it because the bezel is so small."
"Turn it around! We can't market something people can't see!"

The top end specs sound quite nice, but I can only imagine what kind of price....

And $6000 for a base model? And that is with a 8 core Xeon. Insane.

From the Anandtech live feed:

02:23PM EDT - New graphics card design

02:23PM EDT - But based around PCIe x16

02:24PM EDT - Once again using AMD GPUs

02:41PM EDT - Starting config: 8 core CPU, 32GB memory, Radeon Pro 580X, 256GB SSD

02:41PM EDT - Starting at $5999

So stuck with weird proprietary over priced AMD only GPUs, again...

Stuck with a monitor that's none reusabble, again...

I'm just trying to think what kind of a Window$ beast I could make for $6000, especially now with Ryzen 2...

The company says it is using a "brand new" Intel Xeon processor with up to 28 cores and six channels of 2933 MHz ECC memory with 12 DIMM slots. The device is configurable with up to 1.5TB of system memory. It can <dissipate> more than 300 watts of power and comes with a large heat sink for cooling that Apple says will allow the device to "run fully unconstrained all the time."

There are eight internal PCI Express slots, including four double-wide slots, three single-wide slots, and a final slot that is populated with an I/O card. That includes two Thunderbolt 3 ports, two 10Gb Ethernet ports, two USB-A ports, and a 3.5mm audio jack.

The expansion is impressive. However.....2 USB ports and 2 Thunderbolt ports? The 2 TB ports are ok....but 2 USB ports is ridiculous. I hope the 3.5mm jack is at least a dual purpose mini-SPDIF optical out as well like on the Mac Mini.

This is still the most elegant computer Apple has ever made:

Apple_MA970LL_A_Mac_Pro_Desktop_Computer_539244.jpg

I appreciate the honeycomb ascetic my only issue is they are putting in desktop hardware and charging workstation prices.

2 USB ports

I guess you can do what Macbook users presumably do and buy a hub?

Meanwhile my Optiplex is rocking 10 USB ports, most of which are USB 3, and each of my monitors is a 4-port hub.

I mean, I don't know what I would do with all those ports, but by gum I've got 'em!

I appreciate the honeycomb ascetic my only issue is they are putting in desktop hardware and charging workstation prices.

Xeons and ECC are desktop HW? Both the monitor and Mac are beasts. Insanely expensive beasts for the 1% or businesses with deep HW budgets.

With most of my workflow going to AWS I don't see a need for the computer. But I could provide a home for that monitor. (y)

I'd think the base hardware would be more useful with a Threadripper option.

Besides being esthetically pleasing, hexagonal vents are the most efficient aside from maybe one big hole. That said, I think those are circular holes, and being two layers, I'm not sure how well it'd stack up. I'd guess worse.

At least it looks like users won't have to put a desk fan in the ashtray to keep it from overheating during sustained work loads. I'm glad to see them move back to a slightly more practical design.

The Pro 580x is a pretty meh choice for $6k. They should have at least used the Vega 48 from the iMac.

Besides being esthetically pleasing, hexagonal vents are the most efficient aside from maybe one big hole. That said, I think those are circular holes, and being two layers, I'm not sure how well it'd stack up. I'd guess worse.
It looks like there is enough of a gap between layers that airflow shouldn’t be too impeded. It will certainly impede though.

What's the efficiency increase over other holes. 0.01%, 0.08%, 23.95%
Let's not kid ourselves, it won't matter one iota in real world performance.
only test I could find said ~1-2%, but it depends on the spacing and size of the holes. The larger the holes, the more wasted space between them, whereas a hexagon could butt right up against six other hexagons. iirc airflow characteristics are better too, but that might just be marketing material I'm remembering.

Edit:
77.4% vs 85.2% open area, based on 6mm holes with .25mm between (6.5mm center to center). Calc from here

Last edited:
Looks freaking awesome! I think I can only afford the monitor though

I can understand the price of the monitor (assuming the marketing claims are true), but that price of the stand makes you wonder if some of the executives at Apple have lost touch with the value of money.

I can understand the price of the monitor (assuming the marketing claims are true), but that price of the stand makes you wonder if some of the executives at Apple have lost touch with the value of money.

When you factor in the build materials and design, its justifying its price. People need to stop comparing these systems to consumer grade shit. The iMac was flouted as overpriced but ended up being cheaper than its competitors if you spec them equivalently.

Xeon chips are not cheap people.

When you factor in the build materials and design, its justifying its price. People need to stop comparing these systems to consumer grade shit. The iMac was flouted as overpriced but ended up being cheaper than its competitors if you spec them equivalently.

The stand is what he is specifically addressing and it does seem open to tons of ridicule.

Unless there is some mistake it's a $5000 monitor with no stand. Stand sold separately for $1000... Wait what?!

Apparently there were reactions in the audience, ranging from gasps to laughs when that was announced.

$5000 and they couldn't be bothered to included a basic stand, instead you have to pay $1000 for a freaking monitor stand.

The stand is what he is specifically addressing and it does seem open to tons of ridicule.

Unless there is some mistake it's a $5000 monitor with no stand. Stand sold separately for $1000... Wait what?!

Apparently there were reactions in the audience, ranging from gasps to laughs when that was announced.

$5000 and they couldn't be bothered to included a basic stand, instead you have to pay $1000 for a freaking monitor stand.
Stands are not cheap people.

sorry, couldn't resist.:joyful:

So buy an ugly $100 crappy VESA arm. People seem to have no problems spending $1000 on stainless steel furniture.

The build materials they are using aint cheap.

As a stainless steel metal shop owner I am proud to make $1000 desks. That stand for $999 though is making me wonder if I'm in the wrong business. XD

Well if you can do it for half the price, undercut Apple and corner the market :) I am betting it aint that easy for a niche market.

As someone who has had a 27” cinema display for like 8 years, I am going to fold like a deck of cards and get one :ROFLMAO:

So buy an ugly $100 crappy VESA arm. People seem to have no problems spending $1000 on stainless steel furniture.

True, then you only need the $250 Vesa adaptor. :)

The build materials they are using aint cheap.

Is it made out of Titanium?

Why couldn't they include a basic no adjustment bent aluminum stand like they have on iMacs. Probably not $20 worth of Aluminum.

Instead no stand at all, and the only option they have is $1000. I have no problem with silly priced options, but a stand is kind of a necessary thing for a monitor.

Why couldn't they include a basic no adjustment bent aluminum stand like they have on iMacs. Probably not $20 worth of Aluminum.

Instead no stand at all, and the only option they have is $1000. I have no problem with silly priced options, but a stand is kind of a necessary thing for a monitor.
They probably assume the people who would buy these (professional media editors, etc) would already own a very nice, fully adjustable stand, so they don't get neck cramps or other injuries while sitting at their workstation for hours on end. For everyone else, you can of course get their $1000 stand, or go get your own.

The display is not even remotely comparable to anything else on the market. First 6K display, the mounting system is magnetic with automatic locking latches. You do realise you don’t even have to buy the monitor yeah? ;)

This thing is ridiculous. 1.5Tb of ram?

Hey you wanted RAM, everyone bitched about the 16GB in the Macbook Pro... you got it :ROFLMAO:

Back