Enermax Revolution SFX 650W Power Supply Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 1, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Enermax Revolution SFX 650W Power Supply Review - The small form factor segment has been hot for a while now when it comes to enthusiast PC builders and Enermax is entering the SFX fray today with the Revolution SFX 650W PSU. It touts fanless modes under 30% load, 100% Japanese capacitors, and complete flat flexible cables for easier routing in tight cases.

D4rkn3ss and Sith'ari like this.
  2. Antonio Retali

Antonio Retali n00bie

3. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Nothing like routing your cables in tight cases, amirite guys?

4. pfc_m_drake

pfc_m_drake Gawd

Love the SFF reviews!
    Regarding the price point - I think that $118 is certainly fair. It's a niche market that certainly warrants a premium. In fact, given its full modularity and high capacity (650W) in the SFF, I'd even go so far as to say it represents good value.

Excellent job, as always.
    P.S. - I think you may have forgotten the big green 'Pass' checkmark :)

5. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

Cracking job there. I particularly appreciated the comments about noise. Add in the good overall performance and the fanless modes and this a preferred product for me.

6. Yiffy

Yiffy [H]ard|Gawd

Though I do wonder what sort of setup in could pull near 650W in a SFF build. Not complaining at all mind you it's a good power supply at a fair price and never hurts to have a bit more wattage on tap.

7. pfc_m_drake

pfc_m_drake Gawd

Agreed. Although I think the 'strategy' that most enthusiasts like to use with respect to their PS is to estimate their total system wattage, then give themselves a couple of hundred watts above that as headroom.

So if you had a SFF build with a 7700k, high end graphics card, and a couple of drives, you might be topping out at ~400W (or slightly above). Employing the above 'strategy' would make this a perfect power supply.

However, I agree that you are correct in that you'd have to try really hard to top-out 650W in a SFF system.

8. Quartz-1

If you have a high end Xeon at 160W and your GPU at 250W, that's already 410W.

9. Quartz-1

I've just spotted in another thread that some of the Xeon CPUs clock in at 200W, so that's 450W just for CPU + GPU. Add in power for the motherboard, storage, fans, and USB devices and I can see that a 650W PSU would be a good idea.