ENERMAX LIQTECH TR4 AIO Liquid CPU Coolers Review

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Eschertias

Eschertias n00bie

So I'm seeing the same issues. My problem was this was a virtualization box in a rack. So the only thing I noticed was the machine randomly shutting off. After an afternoon of memtest and two more mystery shutoffs, I cracked the thing open and started it up on my test bench, and the FLIR showed the hot side sitting at about 80C, and the in-BIOS temp reading for the CPU at about 85C. What I thought was a memory issue causing a hard shutdown was actually my fancy pants AIO clogging completely and the CPU auto-powering down to save itself.

I'll be trying to get a full refund from them, unless they want to guarantee in writing that if it leaks, they'll cover the full replacement cost of everything it damages. Otherwise I'll RMA it and Craigslist it or something. I refuse to trust this model after seeing the teardown pictures with the entire coldplate coated in a biofilm gel.

2. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Gawd

Well to be honest there the entire coldplate wasn't covered in bio gunk. Those have a silicone sheet gasket between the spray plate and the cold plate's fins to force coolant thru the fins & out the sides. The bio gunk was building up where the water flow exits the cooling channels. But I agree that looks pretty gross for sure. I'm surprised because there is no light that gets into these closed loop systems to actually encourage growth. My thoughts is they failed to include a decent biocide in their coolant. Mine so far is not doing horribly so I have plenty of time for my custom parts to arrive.

3. Eschertias

Eschertias n00bie

At some point I'm gonna just do a custom loop for it, possibly when TR 3 hits using the new CCX cores on the 7nm process. In the interim, I'll just put a Noctua on it and dial way back on the OC. Shame such a nice performing part has such a hilariously awful failure mode.

4. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

Yeah, that is definitely not reasonable for them to make you pay shipping a second time (or even the first time, perhaps!). I also wonder what the point of a replacement is, if nothing has changed in the product.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  5. branana

branana Limp Gawd

To suppress bad press until this all blow over?

6. doyll

doyll Kyle's Thermocouple is HOT

Many countries have consumer protection laws that say seller has to pay shipping expenses both ways for defective product. Consumers in USA and EU countries have these laws. Often all it takes is pointing out to company what consumer law is and they pay / send courier pick-up slip.

7. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

It's certainly possible. They won't give me any reason to expect a different experience from a replacement.

8. JustLong

JustLong Gawd

Here goes round II.
    WP_20180822_23_32_42_Pro.jpg

Newegg didn't pack it well and the packaging barely kept it protected.
    WP_20180822_23_45_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180822_23_46_10_Pro.jpg

Nightfire likes this.
  9. Eschertias

Eschertias n00bie

Welp, just got my RMA processed, they're dropping a new one in the mail. I'll take some post-mortem pictures of the inside of mine when I crack it open in a bit.

Edit: Looks like massive coolant boil off and some chunky crud that build up in the microchannels. Also the copper is pretty badly corroded, it's a uniform nasty brown color across all the little fins.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  10. Jjosh

Jjosh n00bie

They are cross shipping a new one for free this time instead of fee for cross ship. It should come today. Now I don't know whether to give them a 3rd chance or to switch to air. Need a thermalright silver arrow review...

Is there any law that states they have to give me a functioning product ever? Or does them giving me a cooler that lasts for 3 months 3 times means i'm out of luck when it breaks the day after the 1 year warranty expires? Somehow I've only got 2 months left on that 1 year warranty and never had a cooler that worked to its full potential more than two months in a row. Between my delays in starting RMA and there delays in responding and actually completing it, they skated through the 1 year warranty pretty easily.

Does anyone know if it would block the top pcie slot on a asrock x399? Do big air coolers normally block the top slot on x399 boards?

EDIT: looks like they have 2 year warranty at least...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  11. doyll

doyll Kyle's Thermocouple is HOT

Kinda surprised Kyle hasn't done one. His Threadripper has tested more coolers than any other I can think of.

12. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

Afaik only the bleh asus board from the original launch models blocks 1st slot (and its even eatx! /facepalm) but at least with the noctua you can adjust to fit all the other boards, even the matx asrock fits fine.

Not sure about the recent new models, you can almost eyeball and measure a picture to find out though.

Any TR compatible AIO will fit inside the keep-out zone of any TR board, otherwise they done fucked up.

13. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

I am not sure what that means?

14. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

I think he's asking about a review of the thermaltake silver arrow

15. DarkestTemplar

DarkestTemplar n00bie

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I purchased this cooler a few days ago and am just now finding this thread. Ugh. Has anyone had any luck with this thing or is it in my best interests to return it before I even start? I noticed a few people were still trying to get a newer revision or something. Any updates would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid of opening it to a bunch of water damage. And certainly don't want to put that on my brand new TR!!!

16. branana

branana Limp Gawd

If you have Liq 1 return it . If you have 2 with the RGB log your temperatures and check for deviations weekly . If corrosion occurs it will be couple months from now, not right away .

If you don't want to deal with the risk go with the wraithripper or a silver arrow tr4

17. Kyle_Bennett

Drop Enermax support a note and give them serial number, they should be able to tell production date from that. That said, this issue was with the very first units out.

18. hititnquitit

hititnquitit Limp Gawd

it looks and sounds like enermax went with a really cheap, poorly mixed coolant. that is breaking down over time leading to the blockages. to those that have received an rma or just started to use one. i would immediately drain that coolant and replace it with something like zerex or swiftechs hyderx. theres no way i would set myself up for another failure with that mess. enermax did a wonderful job of ruining a really solid cooling solution.

19. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Gawd

I wouldn't go that far. I have been running mine for a few months now and it has held up just fine so far. Yes, if it starts failing I will pull it out in favor of a custom loop, but I would also tear it apart, clean out the schmoo out of it, refill it with my own top secret alchemy recipe and set it up on a shelf as a backup cooler.

20. DarkestTemplar

DarkestTemplar n00bie

Thank you both for the information. I'll check the serial number first and make sure it's okay. Also, I'll keep temperature sensors on screen at all times and watch them. I was mostly afraid of damaging other parts, but hopefully I got a newer version with better quality. :) Fingers crossed!

21. branana

branana Limp Gawd

Reports of recent RMA replacements dying again:

22. EnermaxUSA-SupportTeam

EnermaxUSA-SupportTeam Official Enermax

We are fully aware of the leaking issue and have stopped selling our 1st gen TR4 cooler as well as the first batch TR4 II.

The revised TR4 II coolers have fixed the problem and are arriving to our warehouse bi-weekly by air shipments since early September.

We have reserved some units just for RMA so if you are still having problems with the 1st gen Liqtech TR4 or the early production of Liqtech TR4 II, we are more than happy to replace it with the newest version.

It can be done by filing an RMA request on our website, https://www.enermaxusa.com/support.php

Feel free to PM or reply to this post for any questions. We are here to help :)

- Enermax USA Support Team

23. Jerky_san

Jerky_san [H]Lite

Any chance you can state the serial #'s x-y of the TR2 batch that are affected..? Its incredibly disheartening to hear that you guys claimed to fix the problem in TR4 II and yet still there was a problem. My TR4 II already has fans making clicking noises and now I read this...

24. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

I know you are USA support but what about users in Europe? Gen 1 is still available for sale and Gen 2 is only on preorder in the UK? My 1st Gen TR4 is slowly starting to degrade but i need to buy a new cooler before hand, i was looking at a TR4 II but may well have to look elsewhere.

25. EnermaxUSA-SupportTeam

EnermaxUSA-SupportTeam Official Enermax

All the first batch TR4 II got returned back to the factory. If you are experiencing leaking on your TR4 II unit, the best and fastest way to get a replacement is to create a support ticket on our website. https://support.enermaxusa.com/

Thanks for your interests in Liqtech TR4 II cooler. Unfortunately, we can only provide information and support for the U.S market.

26. Jerky_san

Jerky_san [H]Lite

So.. do I have to wait for it to leak? This is a $6,000 machine and if it leaks and fries it I will be very unhappy.

27. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

I wouldn't, its now a known issue. if yours falls in the range of bad ones id get on it.

28. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

Wait so, I have done 2 RMAs already for 2x 1st gen TR4 360 coolers and got back 2x 1st gen units. Are the ones you sent me good or not? It sounds like you are saying all the 1st gen units are bad. The one currently installed in my system so far is working and it's been over a month, but I know it might still fail given the very first one I had lasted 6 months before symptoms started showing. The other one is a spare I am holding on to that I only opened the box to make sure it wasn't leaking. It's on a shelf now in case the one in my machine starts to fail so I don't have a long downtime waiting for the RMA to arrive.

29. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

Enermax really needs to provide a public list of known bad serial numbers/lots, that is just plain good ethical business practice when your defect rate hits a critical mass.

Asking everyone concerned to email one-offs to support is bullshit at this point, especially when apparently even the "new" version came out with the same problem.

There are still plenty of units on shelves and whatnot that have not been pulled (retailers always suck at this, buck passing is default behavior) plus whatever is out there in the aftermarket/used/overstock/etc.

Paging Kyle, please call them out on this.

30. Jerky_san

Jerky_san [H]Lite

I think the thing that upsets me the most is that they don't just tell the resellers "Please send an email notifying the end users who bought this product that it is potentially defective and to return it to said retailer for a refund or exchange" I would of been 100% alright with that. But no now I'm stuck with the damn thing trying to do an RMA since I'm a little over 10 days past the return date. I shouldn't have to find this out from a public freaken forum.

31. Kyle_Bennett

I have already asked Enermax for a list of serial numbers on affected units, and they did not supply one.

32. branana

branana Limp Gawd

Doesn't seem necessary. They already said every single Liqtech 1 is affected.

33. Kyle_Bennett

Please provide a link for that. That is not what I was told directly as has been quoted here.

34. branana

branana Limp Gawd

That's what this sentence says to me. That they stopped selling the first batch of Gen 2 because there are problems. Then in the same sentence they talk about Gen 1.

35. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Gawd

I have yet to see any leaking or degradation of performance in my 1st gen Liqtech 360. Maybe it will happen later, but it is not happening to me yet. The reason they would say they stopped making it would simply be that they have a new cooler that redplaces it. Doesn't make sense to sell 2 similar coolers at the same level.

36. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

I have a pair of G1 280s I am watching like hawks. No pump RPM slowdowns or temp increases yet...but where is the recall list? And fuck getting another who-knows G1 back at this point they should start sending "fixed G2s" as replacements - several people have reported fails on their RMA replacements.

Its a real shame overall because so far they have the only AIO design that isn't shit on TR because nobody took AMD seriously. Everything else does not fully cover the dies with the fins being cooled by water, do not buy. Proper water block, a pump with some actual flowrate...why did they have to screw up on assembly? SIGH

Even some new stuff coming out looks like it is still built wrong, no surprise on the one coming from asus [rebadged asetek] though. They still only put half-asleep B team people on AMD stuff.

37. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

Please shit on them, someone with one of their defective RMA replacement units send to him or something.

38. Jerky_san

Jerky_san [H]Lite

Ticket has been open since yesterday morning still not assigned.. Sigh..

39. Kyle_Bennett

Well, I do not think we will be doing that, but we did rescind our rewards on all of these TR4 coolers and added notes into the reviews.

Aluminum and Montu like this.
  40. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

Didn't mean literally ;)

Kyle_Bennett likes this.