ENERMAX LIQTECH TR4 AIO Liquid CPU Coolers Review

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

We bought replacement Enermax coolers and they also failed. The models, time of purchase and sellers varied, so it wasn't a batch from a single retailer.

Yes, I'm in contact with Enermax to try and resolve this but it's difficult to imagine investing more time, effort and money into anything from them. I don't want to get more replacements and have to spend time installing them, monitoring temperatures every week and worrying that they will fail after 60 days. I realize these would be replacements directly from Enermax (and not a retailer) but it means we have to install some other cooler to temporarily replace the Enermax and then go through the whole thing again when the new units arrive. Even if Enermax can guarantee they will work, it's becoming very expensive for us to keep doing this.

2. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

Have you run any stress tests? You have to track the temperatures. The 360s we bought could easily cool the system at max. load, when they were first installed. Over time, they became less and less effective. We tried stress-testing one yesterday and the temperature immediately hit the roof; it would have started throttling the CPU if we let it continue. But you could easily do day-to-day things with the computer and never notice until the thing goes completely bad (which will happen).

3. Zinn

Zinn Pronouns: ze, zis, zit

Sure, I'm running Prime95 blend now -- ambient temps are unbearable as I'm in the second floor with AC off. CPU is currently not budging from 67C and I barely any fans (have a quiet curve set up). Will report back after awhile.

FWIW when I was switching the fans out for the Corsairs, I noticed a couple of screws on the water block had a quarter turn of play, so I retightened them. I wonder if repeated heating/cooling is loosening and messing with contact over time.

4. Zinn

Forgot to turn it off and fell asleep. So Prime95 running overnight at stock in a high ambient temp room maxed out at 68C.

This seems good to me!

5. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

ALCON,

I've been in contact with Enermax over the abysmal reviews found online regarding the LIQTECH TR4 cooler.

They told me Monday they are getting ready to introduce a new version of it which resolves the build quality issues and the issues with corrosion/evaporation

6. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

If you're doing everything stock, the CPU will throttle at 68°C. For example, I saw the temperature on one computer hold at 68°C but the core speed dropped to 0.5GHz. It was very slow and almost unusable. When the cooler was new, it easily held the same computer below 60°C, running at 100% CPU usage on all cores.

What is your ambient temp, approximately?

7. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

That sounds interesting. Did they send an e-mail with that information? Any indication on when it might be available?

8. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

If you send me your purchase paperwork over on all the ~10 units you have purchased and I will make sure that Enermax gives this attention. You can PM me here with your documentation.

9. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

They did not name a specific release date but the information was straight from email I received at my gmail account from one of the people who works at Enermax.

I do really like their 360mm AIO from an aesthetics stand-point and the initial performance seems good, considering it's an AIO, but there were too many 1-star reviews citing corrosion/evaporation/QC issues for me to spend the money.

So...I emailed them about those issues and asked if they were working on a fix or an updated product for their 360mm kit and they responded with the info I mentioned above...

Hopefully, it'll be released sooner rather than later. Seems to me if they have a decent product on release day they would make more sales with the initial "surge" associated with launch day sales than if it took them 6 months to release something

10. Kyle_Bennett

If you would check the THREAD ABOUT THIS, you will see that information is being discussed there already. So why don't move the conversation to one place?

11. Zinn

I don't know the ambient temperature precisely, approximately 85F

I had HWINFO open the whole time Prime95 was running overnight, and the lowest speed on any core was 3.2ghz. Highest was 4.1ghz, so it never throttled seriously.

I can also run XMR Stak on the CPU and consistently get about 1.1khs, which is close to ideal. It's not throttling.

The fans are set very low, so if I wanted to ramp it up the temperature would definitely improve. The cooler is definitely doing it's job, so maybe I'm lucky, but I'm just not affected by any QC issues after 8 months.

12. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

Okay. Good luck!

13. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Limp Gawd

The temps on mine have been creeping up lately. It is a little over a month old, but I am compensating by tweaking my fan curve which is working ok for now. Rather than RMA it, I will replace it with a custom loop once the rest of my bits & pieces arrive from China (gotta love China post..).
    That done, the AIO will be taken apart, thoroughly cleaned, quick-fittings added to the hoses, NOT refilled and stuffed back in its box as a backup. When/If I need it again I will load it up with coolant and reinstall where it is needed.

14. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

Sounds like a good plan! Maybe you can check for damage/corrosion in the water block. It might be risky to use again but if you do, you should probably add some kind of anti-corrosive.

15. JustLong

JustLong Gawd

Just to add another data point. I built a few TR test workstations, well 2, then when I went to build the 3rd I found all the coolant had leaked out inside the package. Contacted ENERMAX and they swiftly shipped out a new unit (and free earbuds) and didn't ask for the old one back.
    Initially I thought it had been damaged in shipping, but now I see it's not that simple. I guess I better swap them all out, as I don't want to lose a $7K workstation to a faulty AIO cooler.

16. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Limp Gawd

Oh indeed the waterblock and wet chamber of the pump will be coming apart & cleaned. I do expect to see some galvanic interaction going on between the copper waterblock and aluminum radiator. I suspect the worse damage I might find is organic growth happening. I don't worry so much about the corrosion unless the oxide is blocking heat transfer or the block's cooling grooves and I can clean that stuff up pretty quick. Cleaning the organic crap out of the system would take a lot more work - particularly from the rad.

Shokolate likes this.
  17. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

Cool. You obviously have a good handle on all this stuff. If you have time, please post what you find.

18. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

Do you plan on doing a review? I think my 360 is starting to degrade and I want to hold off as long as possible before getting it swapped out, since I don't have an alternative cooler and I don't want to buy a bulky air cooler i'll pick up another Liqtech but I don't want a rerun of the same issue

19. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

The organic crap is similar to the crap that builds up in retail and commercial refrigeration, we get it all the time at work. We usually add a chemical to the drains to stop it building up but i don't know if that would react well with the various parts of the AIO

20. Kyle_Bennett

Maybe...

IMG_20180809_133804.jpg

Nightfire and Aluminum like this.
  21. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

Thanks for the input. I have heard about leaks but I haven't experienced any, yet. Do you think there's any chance that shipping caused the leak in your case? Was the box damaged?

If the corrosion (or organic growth?) from the mixed metals blocked circulation, could that create pressure or somehow cause leakage? It would be interesting if anyone has insight into that.

It's good to know Enermax responded quickly. I wonder if the replacements are any different. Are you going to try it or just get something else?

22. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

Ohh Shiny things, with RGB as well......

I hope to be reading a review soon

23. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Limp Gawd

I wonder if those blingy fans are as good as the ones on the older Liqtech. In my experience the more bling on the fan the worse the SP for radiators. The non-rgb fans on my current Liqtech will definitely find a place on the custom loop I put in. The are reasonably powerful and quiet.

24. JustLong

JustLong Gawd

The package appeared to be undamaged and I had no clue there was an issue until I opened the box and found this: WP_20180721_10_50_06_Pro.jpg
    I installed the replacement before I was aware of several people reporting issues with these. Since I still have the failed new in box unit I'll compare them to see if there any visible differences. I'll also crack this one open and see the state of the inside of one that was never used.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  25. JustLong

JustLong Gawd

So I disassembled the cooler and took pictures as I pulled it apart. Pics posted here http://nitsuj.org/images/H/TR4/

The interesting things to note. There appears to be corrosion around the torx screw holding the copper plate to the cooler and two colors of liquid (bright green and yellow with particles) came out. There was only a small amount of a gel like substance starting to form.

26. Nightfire

Nightfire Gawd

27. doyll

doyll Kyle's Thermocouple is HOT

That is assuming the TDP rating is relatively accurate .. something we have no way of knowing because they don't give us the criteria they use to calculate TDP. ;)

28. LurkerLito

LurkerLito [H]ard|Gawd

Hey Kyle is that still an Aluminum Rad + Copper Cold Plate combo?

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  29. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Limp Gawd

I suspect it is. I doubt Enermax is changing the actual components beyond some new coolant and rgb fans.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 1:45 PM
  30. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Limp Gawd

techpowerup is under the mistaken impression that supports socket TR4/SP-3. It doesn't.
    While the the cold plate flow design would be a good thing with AM4 and Intel CPUs, would not work well with TR the flow from one sode of the fins to the other would leave the packages closet to the outlet running hotter than those closest to the inlet.

31. Kyle_Bennett

Dunno yet.

32. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

The QDCs are good quality, just they have that med/lab look going on. You might be able to die them a different color, if you wanted–I think it's just a plastic shell over the ceramic/glass connector.

33. JustLong

JustLong Gawd

34. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

Thanks for the images. Was there any indication why that one leaked before you opened it?

35. JustLong

JustLong Gawd

It looks like liquid originated around one of the torx screws attaching the cold plate. Along with the corrosion around the screw there was liquid under the protective sticker.
    WP_20180810_10_04_01_Pro.jpg

36. Shokolate

Shokolate n00bie

Ah... got it! That makes sense.