Enermax Galaxy 1000 Watt PSU

Pkirk618

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone have any first hand info on this? Guru3D did an excellent review and it seems on par with the current 1K champs but a little cheaper. I like it.
review

get it here

I should have my review up some time this month.

yeah but how many are there that are 1000 Watts by a quality PSU manufacturer? We'll see what jonny puts together :)

The 850 watt Galaxy version is actually in stock at eWiz. I had to get it.
I was e-mailed a $5 coupon for this apparently just for asking if it was in stock. :cool:

clubsport said:
Do not like Modular Cables heard too many bad reports

Funny. I haven't heard to many reports myself. I just keep hearing the same report regurgatated over and over again by everyone: The interver with PCP&C founder, Doug Dodson. ;)

jonnyGURU said:
I just keep hearing the same report regurgatated over and over again by everyone: The interver with PCP&C founder, Doug Dodson. ;)

Me too. I don't care for modular units, but that's really only because it's a feature I don't particularly want to pay for, and I don't really have a case with a window (yet) where I'd be bothered by the rat's nest. I'm a messy person by nature ;)

the only place I heard it was on PCP&C's site. Then of course in this thread. I don't think it makes all THAT difference. But what do I know?

Despotes said:
The 850 watt Galaxy version is actually in stock at eWiz. I had to get it.
I was e-mailed a $5 coupon for this apparently just for asking if it was in stock. :cool:

Correction. When asking when it will ship I was told they made a mistake and don't have it in. :rolleyes: :mad:

Interesting.

I was flipping through the manual looking for 12V5.

The guide that shows all of the connectors show ALL FOUR PCI-e connectors (two fixed and two modular) on the same rail.

But when I took it apart, I could clearly see that EVERYTHING on the modular interface (6 peripheral and 2 PCI-e) on the same rail.

Hehehe... That's going to make this thing EASY to load test. :D

clubsport said:
Do not like Modular Cables heard too many bad reports
Enermax's modular cables though are some of the best I've ever seen. I have a liberty 650(or is it 620 can't remember) but they're very very well built and it even came with a nice little pouch for the spare cables I didn't use.

I now know I can not test 1kW power supplies. :D

I had the Galaxy up at 1000W for about 15 minutes. Just as I was about to write down the voltages... POP!

The breaker popped and I showed 0W on the Weibo. :(

Let's see here... 1000W at 80% efficiency is about 1250W at the wall. Actually, I must not have been getting 80% efficiency because I remember seeing 13XX something at the wall... but needless to say, that's more than 11A going through a single outlet.... That's too much for an extended period of time.

I guess the mains overheated and popped. ;)

jonnyGURU said:
I now know I can not test 1kW power supplies. :D

I had the Galaxy up at 1000W for about 15 minutes. Just as I was about to write down the voltages... POP!

The breaker popped and I showed 0W on the Weibo. :(

Let's see here... 1000W at 80% efficiency is about 1250W at the wall. Actually, I must not have been getting 80% efficiency because I remember seeing 13XX something at the wall... but needless to say, that's more than 11A going through a single outlet.... That's too much for an extended period of time.

I guess the mains overheated and popped. ;)

This is whats making me think I may need to move or upgrade all the wiring. As my Airconditioner and PC are or the same breaker (diff sockets) and i'm pretty sure that i'm close to the 15 or 20 amps that it allows :confused: Anyone met upon any wiring/fuse issues with the 700+ watt setups?

Well... you're probably not near the 12A (15A outlets actually only support 12A sustained with a 3A overheard for transients) of that circuit, but I personally wouldn't want my PC on the same circuit as an AC simply because of the brown outs they cause when they click on and off.

Wow. Was there other stuff plugged into that outlet, or are you on a really small breaker? You mentioned that 15A breakers should sustain 12A; that's 1440w or 70% efficiency before you even hit 12A.

BTW, testing on 230V would be very interesting to me. Higher efficiency sounds like a win to me, and as long as it's sitting right next to the circuit breaker... :D

The load tester, my laptop and LCD monitor were on the circuit. Probably some other small stuff. AA battery charger, etc.

I'd test it at 230V, but the draw is still the same at the outlet because I do 230V through a variac. :( I guess testing will have to stay at 850W.

Well.. maybe not... I'll try again with only the PSU plugged into that outlet.

jonnyGURU said:
Well... you're probably not near the 12A (15A outlets actually only support 12A sustained with a 3A overheard for transients) of that circuit, but I personally wouldn't want my PC on the same circuit as an AC simply because of the brown outs they cause when they click on and off.

Yeah i'm working on getting that fixed in the very near future ;)

Nothin to do with the psu but I just saw those pics of your daughter on your site jonny, really cute :) How old? My daughters 2.

wee96 said:
Nothin to do with the psu but I just saw those pics of your daughter on your site jonny, really cute :) How old? My daughters 2.

LOL! Cool.. She's 3.5. Watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse as I type....

jonnyGURU said:
LOL! Cool.. She's 3.5. Watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse as I type....

*sigh* You got it easy, mines currently got a pile of pillows and jumping into them.

wee96 said:
*sigh* You got it easy, mines currently got a pile of pillows and jumping into them.

Now now... I didn't tell you the apart about her jumping up and down on the couch with a cup of applesauce in her hand WHILE she's watching MMCH. ;)

hey jonny how would a UPS play into the voltage draw for that Enermax 1000W? Would the UPS quit and trip before the mains, assuming you had a 1000-1200 watt (dunno how many VA's that is) UPS.

The UPS wouldn't trip because not all of the load on the circuit is going through the UPS.

The UPS would only trip if the UPS was overloaded.

I picked one of these monsters up at Newegg last week. I am hoping its the last power supply I have to purchase for the next 5 years. Comes with a 3 year warranty.

It's huge and it's heavy. Deep blue with Galaxy on either side. Funny thing is, I think they screwed up as the Galaxy name is upside down the way most people will install this PS.

Weight? About 8+ lbs.

Would not fit into my absolutely huge Lian-Li 2000 2 Plus Server Case unless I removed the bottom PSU chamber wall / support and one of the harddrive slider rail walls.

Also, for those of you with up to 3 Harddrives ( sata ) and 2 DVD / CD drives, 2 Video Cards ( SLI ) you will not have to touch one of the extra cables at all.

This thing comes with MANY MANY MANY MANY cables. I am guessing 12 - 15 extra cables. You could run 20+ DVD / CD and Harddrives easy. There are that many connections. They also included a CD wallet sized pouch to store all your extra cables in. There are case badges, 2 of them and a lanyard for your keys. There are 4 screws included to help mount the rear of the PS to the case.

Something I personally liked that's not that big of a deal to most, but to me it is, is the power switch, it's huge and heavy duty. It's the largest I've seen and it's rock solid in operation. In the past, on some of the other Power Supplies I've used, the On / Off switch has been kinda cheapish in that you could rock it slightly left and right, also the plastic seemed thinish and suspect. You were also a little worried that the switch might not hold up to prolong use. With the Enermax Galaxy 1000, It's a switch you might find inside a Nuclear Power Plant on misc equipment.

Makes a man-sized and pleasing "CLICK!"

Being no Power Supply expert, I cannot offer any opinions as to the tech side of things, voltage, stability, load, the rails, etc etc. I just have to trust it lives up to the makers claims. I would hope that a power supply costing $359 + 20+ Shipping or nearly $400 dollars falls into that old saying "you get what you pay for."

Alot of people will argue that most people simply will never need such a power supply. The argument being, as technology increases, personal computer components decrease in energy usage / cost. So over time, a power supply of this size and power will get put out of a job.

Yes and no.

Quad CPU ? 8-way ? Quad SLI ? 4gig DDR3 will be the norm for alot of power users within the next 24 months. Terabyte drives? That will take a lot of good clean stable power.

Back