Enermax EG465P-VE Power Supply for Dual Xeon question

M@iden

n00b
Hello, I recently purchased this power supply for my new AMD 64 3200 Rig but I just "noticed" :eek: that I purchased the version for dual CPU version instead of the other versions, will this be an issue?

This is my new rig:

AMD 64 3200
1 Gig Kingston HyperX KHX3200ULK2/1G kit
DFI LANPARTY UT NF3 250Gb
Lite-On HD166S/167T 16X IDE DVD-ROM
NEC ND-3500A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW
Zalman CNPS7000A-ALCU
IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB Serial ATA
Enermax EG465P-VE 460W Power Supply for Dual Xeon
Silverstone TJ06

Thanks

well

you basically have an EPS12V
it will have an eight pin auxillary +12V mobo power connector
you can attach either half to your 4 pin mobo connection
and use a spot of hotglue to secure it

Im pretty sure you will have all the amps available
(an EPS12V compliant supply has 3 to 4 +12V rails)
but you might want to contact Enermax or look on the supply to see if there is a different wire color scheme for each of the rails

EPS12V 6.1.1 12V Power Rail Configuration

There are two types of 12V rail configurations for systems: 'Common plane' and "Split plane' processor power delivery. The 'commob plane' system has both processors powered from a single 12V rail (+12V1) from the power supply. The 'split plane' system has both processors powered by seperate 12V rails (+12V1 and +12V2) one dedicated to each processor. The system in both cases, has an additional 12V rail to power the rest of the baseboard +12V loads and dc/dc converters. +12V1, +12V2 and +12V3 should not be connected together on the baseboard to ensure that 240VA protection circuits in the power supply operate properly

Table 6: 12V Rail Summary
........................................................................................................................................................................................
Common Plane System........................................................Split Plane System
+12V1........Processors.........................................................+12V1........Processor 1
+12V2........Baseboard components other than processors.......+12V2........Processor 2
+12V3........Drives and peripherals..........................................+12V3........Baseboards and components other than processors
...........................................................................................+12V4........Drives and peripherals

Id advise you to get a conversion kit for it
http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_page.php?Tid=1&gon=236&Gid=26&Gid2=35
"Cable sets for adapting EPS 12V Main power (24-pin) and Processor power (8-pin) connectors toATX GES & ATX 12V (Optional)"

the CPU rails shouldnt make a difference as theyd be recombined by the mobo's VRM,
(it seems thats a split plane with 4 rails)
the 8 pin is its own rail (mobo power) and I think that all the amps would be available through just 4 pins
so Im pretty sure all the amps are available even without the conversion cable

then you have no problems at all, just hook her up and use the 4 pin auxillary +12V mobo connector
and whichever main connector matches up ;)

sorry I didnt double check the model numbers :rolleyes:

Thanks I appreciate the repply

By the way do you think it was a good choice for my rig or do you have a better suggestion

Thanks

damn strong supply from a reputable manufacturer
has a single rail but that shouldnt be any problem with that supply
the supply doesnt exceed spec,
but is there any reason you might need it to?

you an overclocker?

thats one of the reasons youd go after a supply that exceeds spec
generally meaning that the load regulation is tighter than the 5% the spec calls for
unless your a real serious overclocker, it probably wont limit you much
its likely to be pretty stable as is, depends on the load you place on it and how stable the AC source power is
its still at the top of the list of suppplies Id pick, there are only a handful that exceed spec

I was after a Antec Neo 480 but I thought that this would be enough, would you think that the Neo would be a better fit for my rig and intentions ;)

see its really really tough to make calls like that
the Neopower does exceed spec, but because there is no real baseline for marketing claims
and exhaustive third party testing,

and because the subjective input you get from end users is so riddled with variables
its really hard to definatively say yes thats better than that without a preponderance of evidence
going by the specs alone, yes
in reality they likely are very similar performance wise under most circumstances
given the choice Id have gone with the Antec, but thats based on the published specs

A close call then, either way I should be ok with the one I have but If I have a chance I will exchange it for the Neo

Thanks for all the input

Your Welcome

Im real interested in actually getting the equipment to torture test supplies myself
test em till they blow, and test three of the same make till they blow at that
actually putting together what it would take, in equipment and as a break even concern to do that right now eludes me however

Back