Energy Company Accuses Anti-Pipeline Video Game of Eco-Terrorism

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A video game has got an energy industry group riled up and accusing the game’s creators of eco-terrorism: “Thunderbird Strike” (Windows PC) allows players to take the form of a thunderbird and use lightning strikes to gain points by destroying pipeline equipment. The game sends an obvious message in support of political activism, offering advice on its website for users who want to take action against fossil fuel extraction.

It's been quite nice to not hear form Energy Builders on all the other violent video games out there that allow you to perform actions much more insidious compared with fantasy-striking an oil pipeline with a lightning-bird. I guess all the fictional and virtual murder out there that got Pat Robertson's sin-detector humming is of no concern to Energy Builders, whereas virtual violence against some metal and plastic is a bridge too far.

Earth First, we'll destroy other planets later.
You can blame almost anything on videogames, including alien invasions.

This is just going to cause Streisand Effect for a game nobody would have ever known about otherwise. Good job Energy Builders!

I killed over 100,000 people in world of warcraft, where is my place in the history books for mass murder?

Back