Enemy Territory: Quake Wars demo coming Monday

The damage in QW is comparable to the games you listed. 5-6 "hits" on the body will kill. Now if you're hitting the legs it does less damage. I suppose a blood model would be nice, but I've never been confused whether or not I'm getting hits. The sniper rifles kick up dust so you can make adjustments.

If that's the case, i'll take it back for now, since it was based on what I played of the betas - i'll try the demo and see if it's actually any good. It may just have been crap online code/network nonsense causing poor hit registration.

Jodiuh said:
Did the beta 2 weapons still feel like nerfed pea shooters?

They did to me, but apparently I was alone in this, according to this Stereophile chap. Might just have been my connection being awful, as AOL connections tend to be.

They did to me, but apparently I was alone in this, according to this Stereophile chap.

You didn't notice the huge improvement in hit detection going from beta1 to beta2 ? It wasn't subtle. The hit detection was actually bugged in beta 1.

I hope the demo is good. I really want to love this game and make it my next competitive game.

It has one more chance. No ifs, ands or buts. If the game is still poor I'll be done with it. If it's not, I'll see you there.

Will the Demo be multiplayer only? Or will it allow single player with bots?
I abroad so I don't have a great internet connection, but want to check out the game. Is this even possible?

BETA 2 allowed you to play the Computer (bots), so I imagine the demo will offer the same.

When will I be able to download this game? Have a rough idea when it will be downloadable?

What anti-griefer systems have they got in the game? From the sounds of things people will be able to just get into the mission critical vehicles and just drive off the opposite way, anything other than votekick/ban as they never work in pubs :>

[H] Demo Clan, anyone? ;)

How does the game perform on the average Intel/nVidia system?

Downloading at a steady ~500 KB/sec from Fileshack.

You didn't notice the huge improvement in hit detection going from beta1 to beta2 ? It wasn't subtle. The hit detection was actually bugged in beta 1.

My ISP's been dicking me about lately, providing speeds of around 256kbps, so it was probably that.

So, anybody try it yet? Didnt want to wait in line, getting it off filefront @300kbps at work. Will not be able to try it until thursday though :( Some thoughts are greatly appriciated :)

What anti-griefer systems have they got in the game? From the sounds of things people will be able to just get into the mission critical vehicles and just drive off the opposite way, anything other than votekick/ban as they never work in pubs :>

what mission-critical vehical?
none are critical!!

none are critical!!
Well, the MCP in certain missions is critical, but if they don't drive it along the predetermined route, it explodes and a new MCP is brought in so there's not much leeway for being a baglick. I suppose someone could theoretically just sit in the MCP and not drive anywhere thereby sitting on course, just not moving so it didn't explode. But it would be easy enough to start a vote kick and get rid of the asshole doing it.

My ISP's been dicking me about lately, providing speeds of around 256kbps, so it was probably that.
currently paying $59.99 for 12 down, 1 up...last month, I had:

week 1: 6 down, 1 up
week 2: 2 down, 1 up
week 3: 756Kbps down, does it matter anymore?
week 4: 256Kbps during the middle of the night...daytime would see google take time to load :(

It was horrible. Turns out all the kids going back to school hammered the node. Cox PHX FINALLY got on the ball and I'm back @ speed again. Now laugh w/ me as I'm discounted maybe $5 for my trouble. :(:(

Downloading now, roughly 817kb.....loves me my remote desktop to home :)
RDP FTW!!!

none are critical!!
Sounds good...and they don't dominate like BF2's tanks, right?

currently paying $59.99 for 12 down, 1 up...last month, I had:

week 1: 6 down, 1 up
week 2: 2 down, 1 up
week 3: 756Kbps down, does it matter anymore?
week 4: 256Kbps during the middle of the night...daytime would see google take time to load :(

It was horrible. Turns out all the kids going back to school hammered the node. Cox PHX FINALLY got on the ball and I'm back @ speed again. Now laugh w/ me as I'm discounted maybe $5 for my trouble. :(:(

RDP FTW!!!

Sounds good...and they don't dominate like BF2's tanks, right?

BF2 tanks were not that bad. BF2142 Walkers are a whole new story.

The demo seems much improved over the beta I played! It's not nearly as choppy now, and I can actually hit shit... which is nice. I was rail gunning nubs left and right for awhile there.

I was impressed. The game cleaned up nicely. Of course, the real problem with this game is that it comes out 1 week before TF2.

So, everytime I try to join a server, it says I must have punkbuster to join, but i installed it when I installed the demo....I don't get it....

So, everytime I try to join a server, it says I must have punkbuster to join, but i installed it when I installed the demo....I don't get it....

There's a little checkbox in the upper left corner of the server browser menu.

The game has a sensation of being "jittery" despite a smooth high framerate... : /

The game has a sensation of being "jittery" despite a smooth high framerate... : /

I'm having the same experience. I was in beta 1 and 2, and it didn't appear to be quite this bad.

It was horrible. Turns out all the kids going back to school hammered the node. Cox PHX FINALLY got on the ball and I'm back @ speed again.

Cox PHX doesn't exactly have the best track record for me either, so i'm with you there.

I forgot to start my download for the demo this morning...that means more waiting when i get home. :mad:

It's not too bad...pretty faced paced action. I love the graphics engine, it looks very rich IMO.

You need to set the proper timing method and all that. For some reason, it seems to be configured out of the box for very low spec machines.

com_unlockfps 1
com_unlock_timingmethod 0
com_unlock_maxfps 0

I get an initialization error when I try to run it. I'm using cats 7.6 and read the readme, but doesn't anyone else have this problem? I heard the new drivers are crap.

You need to set the proper timing method and all that. For some reason, it seems to be configured out of the box for very low spec machines.

com_unlockfps 1
com_unlock_timingmethod 0
com_unlock_maxfps 0

These just go straight into console?

Back