Ender 5 Pro BL Touch install problem

drjulian

n00b
Having a problem with new BL touch installation on an Ender 5 pro with 4.2.2. board. I have followed the instructions and upgraded the firmware to the 4.2.2. with adapter board.

FireShot Capture 111 - Download - Creality 3D - www.creality.com.png

Then I installed the BL touch and the adapter board replacing the z connector with the one from the BL touch. When the printer starts the BL touch lights up and goes through its self-test. All seems fine.

The problem comes in when I try to level the board. I followed the directions

1) auto home: When I do this the extruder moves to the center of the bed and the bed lower and raises until the extended probe from the BL touch first touches the bed, the bed stops there which is about ½ in below the extruder.

2) control > bed leveling>probe z offset and set it to 0.200. regardless of the setting, the bed never moves and remains about ½ inch below the extruder which makes it impossible to print because the bed never comes close enough to the extruder.

If I remove the adapter board and replace the original z connecter the printer works properly.

What might be the cause of the BL touch stopping the bed far to low for printing and it not moving when the probe z offset is changed?

Attached is a crude video of the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SFFOdWd5WFBHaTFRYXF0dFZtRjV2SVVxNTRrNjlB

weird. I have no experience with the Creality and its firmware, but It appears like it is not calibrating the offset from the probe and the nozzle.

I believe the adaptor board is just a connector board and no microchips on it correct?

to me it seems like you need to programming on your g-code is the issue, so the ender knows where to start. because it is probing the depth as it would think the nozzle is currently at, and not the offset from the probe trigger depth to the tip of the nozzle.

weird. I have no experience with the Creality and its firmware, but It appears like it is not calibrating the offset from the probe and the nozzle.

I believe the adaptor board is just a connector board and no microchips on it correct?

to me it seems like you need to programming on your g-code is the issue, so the ender knows where to start. because it is probing the depth as it would think the nozzle is currently at, and not the offset from the probe trigger depth to the tip of the nozzle.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes the adapter board is just a connector that allows the screen and the bl touch to connect to the screen socket. The only other connector replaces the z stop.

I have seen videos where people have overridden the endpoint using pronterface to allow the z offset to go below 0 but that is not how the install instructions read. They simply tell you to change the z-offset to 0.20 (the thickness of a sheet of paper) and that is all. However changing the z-offset does not change the position of the bed at all so that clearly does not work. My concern is that overriding the endstop could potentially damage the printer so I hesitate to take that route.

There is only one firmware Creality offers for BL Touch with the 4.2.2. board using the adapter and I have re-flashed it with no success.

I think you will still have a negative offset unless you loosen up your springs on the bed enough, to raise it closer to the nozzle. .I keep my Ender 3 pro springs on the bed around mid-way, and use the bl-touch to adjust.

How compressed are the springs on the bed?
If you manually adjusted the offset on the display during calibration, what number do you come up with? I remember having to adjust my z-stop lower (physical switch), but I still use it with the bl-touch on a separate input to my board.

I would adjust it but keep your hand on the power switch incase the nozzle digs into the bed...I have had this happen, but you can catch it when it goes, before tearing something up.

TIP: I still manually calibrated the bed with heat on the bed and nozzle at temp to drag on a piece of paper on all corners and the center, then ran the bl touch to level the bed.

I am sure you have scoured the internet, but this guy has always got me on the right track with my Ender:

I think you will still have a negative offset unless you loosen up your springs on the bed enough, to raise it closer to the nozzle. .I keep my Ender 3 pro springs on the bed around mid-way, and use the bl-touch to adjust.

How compressed are the springs on the bed?
If you manually adjusted the offset on the display during calibration, what number do you come up with? I remember having to adjust my z-stop lower (physical switch), but I still use it with the bl-touch on a separate input to my board.

I would adjust it but keep your hand on the power switch incase the nozzle digs into the bed...I have had this happen, but you can catch it when it goes, before tearing something up.

TIP: I still manually calibrated the bed with heat on the bed and nozzle at temp to drag on a piece of paper on all corners and the center, then ran the bl touch to level the bed.
Thank you this is useful information

drjulian Did you ever get this issue resolved? Curious to what it was. 🍻
Yes I was able to resolve the issue. The problem was the need for a negative z offset bypassing the softstop. I ultimately followed this video which fit better to my set up and demonstrated how to get a negative z offset and save it to the eprom. That worked and BL touch is now functioning properly. Thank you for your help.

Yes I was able to resolve the issue. The problem was the need for a negative z offset bypassing the softstop. I ultimately followed this video which fit better to my set up and demonstrated how to get a negative z offset and save it to the eprom. That worked and BL touch is now functioning properly. Thank you for your help.

So how did you resolve the issue? I have the same problem if you can help that would be welcome.

Back