Ended up with an Opteron 165 over a 170, hope I won't disappointed

threedd97

Limp Gawd
Well, Dave never got back to me on my request to be put onto the queue for a 170 and I never saw my name get placed on the queue on his site, so I decided to order a 170 from Monarch. By the time I got the money they no longer had the OEM 170 for sale, they didn't even list it as out of stock, just flat out removed it. So I went for the 165 OEM. I hope I won't be disappointed with it. As long as I can get it to 2.5 or 2.6 I'll be a happy camper.

hmm i emailed dave right away and he had the oem 170s with no wait .. ordered monday got it today ..

I didn't receive any e-mail back. Oh well. I am kind of satisfied I saved a bit of money anyways. I was pushing my budget badly trying to get the 170. I think either one would have been a very nice upgrade over the old p4 I had.

Also would like to add I've been without my computer since Monday, so I really do not want to wait any longer. Wonder if I could still cancel.

threedd97 said:
I didn't receive any e-mail back. Oh well. I am kind of satisfied I saved a bit of money anyways. I was pushing my budget badly trying to get the 170. I think either one would have been a very nice upgrade over the old p4 I had.

How much did you get the 165 for? They were selling at Monarch 3 days ago for 270.69, and now it's back to 299?

Yeah, they had like holiday pricing. I swear to god earlier today it was like $280ish, but maybe that was Dave's prices. I don't know. But I needed to order it today and couldn't wait for e-mail and pm responses.

threedd97 said:
Your system looks to be very quiet. Is it?

Me? Yeah, that's what I was going for. I was tired of blazing fans. I just wanted something really quiet and the Antec P180 is simply amazing and fits the wallet nicely too. I also own one of the Coolermaster ATC-110 cases and it pales in comparison to the Antec in terms of noise, but it looks cooler no doubt. If you have around 100 bucks, try the P180. It's awesome!

if you can fit your budget, or when you save up some money, switch out that xp-90 for a ninja and you will win. (scythe ninja's built to be able to b used passively if you don't know about it already, cools extremely well with a fan, works very well in a p180 due to the cpu placement near the exhaust fans)

Well, my 0546 MPMW from Monarch (ordered about a week ago) does 2.7 on air with a SI-120 w/o nary a burp.

If thats any indicator, obviously YMMV as is always the case, but I think 2.6 should be simple enough for you.

Thanks for the support on my choice :D. It comes in tomorrow morning and I will post any results I get.

Back