ended up going with the green camp this time around

sparky1_2007

2[H]4U
Hey guys/gals, im a long time red team buyer (since x800xl) just wanted to show off my new card I got today.

its been a LONG time since ive had a nvidia card, haha started off with a FX 5200 ultra, moved to an X800xl, to 4870 1gb, then to the 6950 2gb, now to a GTX 780, big step above :)

sorry for photo quality, i took it with a potato

2ikcy2f.jpg

21bvr0z.jpg

I only play @ 1080p, but i wanted to make sure i got the best possible card so i can MAX everything.

so far BF4 is maxed out ultra everything, etc, SC2 (not very graphically intensive) doesnt even flinch during big engagements.

not bad for being limited by a 8x PCI-E 2.0 port on my motherboard.

anyways, looking forward to OCing the card a little bit, but i am SUPER happy so far with the performance, does everything I want it to and more.

Welcome to the green team. You will certainly enjoy this card. Also good brand purchase. Overclock it and it should achieve Titan speeds. If you hit about 1200-1250 MHz on the core then you are already on performance level of a stock GTX 780 Ti. :).

X8 pci-e 2.0 is good enough in most cases. It's when you start trying to push 120Hz monitors or 3x 24" that the lack of bandwidth starts hurting you.

I think thats just the max the slot is capable of. it says 8x to the right which it should still say 16x there. only the 2.0 should drop to 1.1 at idle.

I have an EVGA Z68 SLI Micro P/N: 120-SB-E682-KR

it has 2x PCI-e x16 slots that run @ x8 speeds at all times.

doesnt seem to be limiting performance too much though.

nice purchase, one of these days when I have some extra funds (not likely anytime soon, just found out child 2 on the way lol) I want to go back to team green.

I know the benchmarks between comparable red/green cards usually are pretty close, but for some reason things just seem smoother on nvidia cards.

As for your PCIe slot speed, I thought that your board while it has two PCIe 16x slots, each will run at 16x if only one slot is used, but if you stick two cards in for some SLI/Crossfire action then they will be limited to 8x each slot.

nice purchase, one of these days when I have some extra funds (not likely anytime soon, just found out child 2 on the way lol) I want to go back to team green.

I know the benchmarks between comparable red/green cards usually are pretty close, but for some reason things just seem smoother on nvidia cards.

As for your PCIe slot speed, I thought that your board while it has two PCIe 16x slots, each will run at 16x if only one slot is used, but if you stick two cards in for some SLI/Crossfire action then they will be limited to 8x each slot.

it doesnt appear to be the case for this board as it is not advertised on their site anywhere to run @ x16 speeds

Welcome to the green team. You will certainly enjoy this card. Also good brand purchase. Overclock it and it should achieve Titan speeds. If you hit about 1200-1250 MHz on the core then you are already on performance level of a stock GTX 780 Ti. :).

A 1200-1250 780 is a good amount faster than a 780ti. More like 1100-1150 n thats if you dont mess with the memory clocks (hardly do anything anyways at anything under 4k or 3 screens).
http://m.techspot.com/review/738-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ti-ghz/page9.html

nice ASIC score - where I live, anything over 70 is unusual, though I do have an ~87% ASUS 680, seems they send all their shit silicon here...Anyway, am surprised and curious as to the reason you didn't get the 'cheaper' 290X or even 'cheaper' 290, since they are, ahem, so fast and...fast..??

PS - Your 2.0@X8 PCI-e speed SHOULD be 2.0 @x16 - unless you have set it to x8 in the bios, which I doubt, maybe you have something in the other X16 slot, a sound-card or something? Any add-in card, regardless of PCI-e lane requirement, will default both x16 slots to X8..anyway, gl

nice ASIC score - where I live, anything over 70 is unusual, though I do have an ~87% ASUS 680, seems they send all their shit silicon here...Anyway, am surprised and curious as to the reason you didn't get the 'cheaper' 290X or even 'cheaper' 290, since they are, ahem, so fast and...fast..??

PS - Your 2.0@X8 PCI-e speed SHOULD be 2.0 @x16 - unless you have set it to x8 in the bios, which I doubt, maybe you have something in the other X16 slot, a sound-card or something? Any add-in card, regardless of PCI-e lane requirement, will default both x16 slots to X8..anyway, gl

My motherboard defaults to 2x 8 slots regardless from what he specs say. It's in the primary slot, so if it could do x16, I'm sure it would.

Back