End the Whine - May 20th, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

notoriousformula

[H]ard|Gawd
It doesn’t take very long in the Apple support forum (and elsewhere) to discover the main issues on the minds of most MacBook Pro owners – heat and whining problems. Apple seems to be taking these annoyances very lightly, and as such, something needs to be done.

Many of you have been promised by Apple tech people that your problem would be fixed in the next generation… and it wasn’t. Many people have been told that the "sound is normal" - for the price you paid for the unit, it isn't.

Some have heard from the Geniuses that their uncomfortable heat is “within spec” while others have had to void their warranty to fix the problem. All of this has got to stop. We need to let Apple know we're tired of them not paying attention to our complaints. So here's what I suggest we do.

On May 20th, everyone with a MacBook Pro that has whining and heat issues should call Apple Support and tell them about it. If thousands of affected MBP owners call on the same day on the same topic, Apple will be forced to address the issue (not to mention the press such an effort will get!). There is safety - and problem solving - in numbers. A unified group of concerned MBP owners will get the attention of those in charge.

This is the best way we can hold Apple accountable. It's our duty to make sure they know we won't tolerate hacks and unsupported fixes to fix an issue that shouldn't be there. This is nothing malicious and we do it with the most admirable of reasons – telling Apple we love their characteristically high quality and won't settle for less. Since we pay for the ability to call technical support when have an issue, we should use it.

If no one spoke up, nothing would change. It's our responsibility.

So help us spread the word – post on your favorite Mac forums and let the world’s MacBook Pro owners know their solution is at hand.

http://www.osx86project.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=180&Itemid=2
Digg it >> http://digg.com/apple/Tell_Apple_to_Fix_MacBook_Pro_Problems

I don't get it. How bad is the heat issue? I mean, you have to expect heat if you're using a laptop. If you bought the MBP and expect it to be cool to the touch, you are retarded.

As for the whining, I used to have that problem with a P4 laptop I had. The fix for that was disabling the IR port that it had. Maybe disabling something would work the same way? I don't see the point of everyone calling at one time. You bog down the tech support, which makes it hard for others to get help. Just remember, this is the first time Apple has used Intel. Its just like any other 1st edition product, there are gonna be problems that you should prolly wait around for the 2nd edition to be fixed. sigh...

Apple veterans will tell you not to jump onto the Revision A bandwagon :cool:

Although I have a history of not following the above suggestion. :D

My MBP is currently on hold at the apple service center for the whine issue. I dont even care about the heat issue, but I didnt pay $2500 for something that whines and buzzes.

well, yes laptops get hot.
But when it starts to burn your lap (and it actually hurts) then you know that its too hot.
I am about to buy a macbook pro - this gives me second thoughts if I'm going to get a laptop that sounds like a fat bumblebee in the room....

hungryduck said:
well, yes laptops get hot.
But when it starts to burn your lap (and it actually hurts) then you know that its too hot.
I am about to buy a macbook pro - this gives me second thoughts if I'm going to get a laptop that sounds like a fat bumblebee in the room....

My guess is that alot of people are using their MacBook in the bed or some fuzzy surface. If it's anything like my powerbook, this blocks the vents --so the botttom gets extremely hot sometimes.

the whine HAS to be software controlled, it does not whine when you use Windows XP on the macbook pro, only in OS X

heat can be fixed by reapplying thermal paste.

Apple should have fixed these

Complain to Apple.

Don't whine about it here. Pun intended, thread locked. EOS DWI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back