End of Year Build (it's been five years!)

Drakul

Limp Gawd
Hi guys!

My last build was 2014 so it's about damn time for an upgrade. I need to be ready for Cyberpunk so I plan to build a new rig around Black Friday / Christmas.
I usually go mid/high end from the previous gen when I build to save cost. My usage is for games, video editing for YT and streaming.
I started preliminary research online and these are my first thoughts:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X 6-core
GPU: RX5700 (or 5700XT if there's good holiday discounts)
MB: Asus or TUF 570X-Plus
RAM: Unsure but probably 32GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W
SSD: Samsung PCI-E EVO Plus 250GB (for OS) and 500GB (for games)
HDD: 2TB for storage, it seems nowadays people even use SSD for this?
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Fans: Noctua NH-U12A
Monitor: Unsure yet but it will be 1440p (either 27" or 32")

Do you think by the end of Nov. there will be something that could be upgrade without driving up the cost?

Is the 3600X worth it over the 3600? The 3600X probably comes with a nicer stock cooler, but that doesn't seem to be an issue?

You could probably combine the second SSD and the HDD's jobs into a 2TB SSD, If you aren't thrashing the drive, a QLC drive would be a nice choice below $190 (and hopefully closer to ~$160 on BF sale, I hope). I've moved from a 6TB HDD to a 2TB SSD, and just kondo'd some content I was not going to get around to playing or watching. Windows Explorer now no longer hangs while the HDD slowly spins up.

850W seems a touch overkill, unless if AMD GPUs still draw wild amounts of power? 600W sounds like a better sweet spot, IMO, unless if you are building in headroom or overclocking.

As for monitor, some people like the slightly higher PPI from 27", some like the 32" 1440p, which has almost identical PPI to a 24" 1080p panel. I've had both, and I personally prefer the 32", though I mounted my monitor to the wall, so it's a bit farther away from me, compared to my old 27" 1440p.

There are mostly my opinions that I'm spewing on the train. Good luck on your upgrade :D

Yeah, if you're planning on spending 3600x-money, you might as well jump up to the 3700. it will guve your system greater longevity (the PlayStation 5 will be based on the exact same core).

Either that, or go with the 3600.

Yeah, if you're planning on spending 3600x-money, you might as well jump up to the 3700. it will guve your system greater longevity (the PlayStation 5 will be based on the exact same core).

Either that, or go with the 3600.
This. 8 core will become the new standard in couple years for gaming CPUs.

I like the 3700x recommendation, especially if you only build once every few years.

Also, I'd wait and see on the SSD purchases. For the price of a 500GB 970 Evo just for games, you could probably get something else larger, especially as a games drive (Intel 660 for example). For the OS, the Evo is fine.

Thanks for the replies!

I had put the 3600X because when I looked on Newegg it was just ~$30 more than the 3600 and the only 3700 is the X version which is a $100 more than the 3600X. Is there a 3700 non-X of the Ryzen 7?
If you guys think that 650W is enough for the PSU that's fine with me :)

My reasoning for the SSDs is that right now I have a 256GB SSD that hosts the OS and my MMOs. I have a 2TB HDD that has my other games and everything else. Both are almost full. So i figure I'd do 256 just for OS for breathing room and combine all the games on a 500GB SSD.
Since I last built my rig hard drives have changed a lot and I'm a bit confused on all the different models.

Thanks for the replies!

I had put the 3600X because when I looked on Newegg it was just ~$30 more than the 3600 and the only 3700 is the X version which is a $100 more than the 3600X. Is there a 3700 non-X of the Ryzen 7?
If you guys think that 650W is enough for the PSU that's fine with me :)

Sorry, I thought that price was still at $250. (the launch price).

Reviewers discovered that there was so little difference between the 3600 and the 3600X, they probably had to lower the price. Since you are not going to use the included fan, 35 bucks is still 35 bucks.

relative-performance-cpu.png

These processors are already maxed-out from the factory, and you don't need an X processor to OC This is why I said to go for the 3700x, if you want to spend any more money.

But it is still not all that much faster (we won't see games that scale to 8 cores until 2021), so I would go 6 cores for today, and upgrade to Zen 2 Plus 4000 when it goes on clearance in two years (either 8 or 12 cores)

Last edited:
I see what you mean. I may aim for the 3600 and if there's some stupid sale on Black Friday maybe I'll upgrade to 3700
Is there anything I should aim for with RAM? the market is so overcrowded it's hard to know.

Back