End of an era

Nathan_P

[H]ard DCOTM x3
Well its finally time, my last dually rig is being retired. Its only been folding gpu units for the last 5 years so having a dual cpu machine was just a waste. Also the PPD of the cpu's just wasn't worth the power draw any more.

Its going to get replaced when my daily driver gets upgraded shortly and the gpu's will find a new home in my second FAH rig.

Z9PE dually.jpg

Well its finally time, my last dually rig is being retired. Its only been folding gpu units for the last 5 years so having a dual cpu machine was just a waste. Also the PPD of the cpu's just wasn't worth the power draw any more.

Its going to get replaced when my daily driver gets upgraded shortly and the gpu's will find a new home in my second FAH rig.

View attachment 510597
Poor lil guy!

But we understand that power cost all too well.

I retired three xeon DC rigs (SB, IV and Haswell) as they were power hungry. Move to AMD.

restarting the E3 rig is not going well, the Bios keeps shutting down the rig saying Asus anti surge has activated to protect the system from unsafe power. Given this is a different PSU to the 750 that dumped yesterday i'm beginning to suspect it might be the motherboard, testing continues....

restarting the E3 rig is not going well, the Bios keeps shutting down the rig saying Asus anti surge has activated to protect the system from unsafe power. Given this is a different PSU to the 750 that dumped yesterday i'm beginning to suspect it might be the motherboard, testing continues....

Could be the MB failing to measure voltages, have you checked the voltages reported in BIOS?

Well, testing has proven to be interesting and somewhat annoying.

The HDD is fried, its hot to the touch, runs like a turtle in super glue and frequently locks up. I'm not surpirsed, it was bought off amazon and arrived in a jiffy bag with no additional padding

I put the 2070 in a spare 3600 rig that was being broken up for parts and what do you know it works and has been merrily folding away for over a week. Having looked at the motherboard it was in the motherboard has signs of heat damage to a couple of the small heatsinks that are on the vrm components, its a Z87 WS so not everything is under the VRM heatsink assembly.

So i pulled my 1070 to test the mobo, its my oldest card so i wasn't too bothered if it got killed during the testing and the mobo happily runs, adding the 1080 to put extra load on the system also works. The 750w also works with this combo.

I'm wondering if the Motherboard is slowly dying and the power draw of a 2070 is too much for it.

More testing to be done but it won't be until I get back from vacation

Well, testing has proven to be interesting and somewhat annoying.

The HDD is fried, its hot to the touch, runs like a turtle in super glue and frequently locks up. I'm not surpirsed, it was bought off amazon and arrived in a jiffy bag with no additional padding

I put the 2070 in a spare 3600 rig that was being broken up for parts and what do you know it works and has been merrily folding away for over a week. Having looked at the motherboard it was in the motherboard has signs of heat damage to a couple of the small heatsinks that are on the vrm components, its a Z87 WS so not everything is under the VRM heatsink assembly.

So i pulled my 1070 to test the mobo, its my oldest card so i wasn't too bothered if it got killed during the testing and the mobo happily runs, adding the 1080 to put extra load on the system also works. The 750w also works with this combo.

I'm wondering if the Motherboard is slowly dying and the power draw of a 2070 is too much for it.

More testing to be done but it won't be until I get back from vacation
When you say HDD I am guessing a spinning drive, I got away from those in my folding rigs because you don't need much HD space. A 250g ssd can be bought cheap and it's not about the speed of it. Compact and much less heat produced. Any overclock on the CPU? if not then drop the voltage to the cpu just a bit and rerun it. If you still have same results up the voltage a bit. It could be the CPU showing it's age. May need a bit more voltage to keep it running smooth. Check the ram as well. You could have a failing stick of ram. When using old hardware you will run across issues like this because it's old. Us old timers need a bit more to stay working, lol

Heh, I've had it before where a system died and I took all the parts and put them in different systems and they worked fine. Sometimes they just get tired of each other I guess lol.

Yeah its a spinning drive that i had lying around.

No overclock on the cpu, it was bought to use as little power as possible - its a 25w tdp chip. Ram seems OK but will memtest it after my holidays.

When i get back it will be testing teh 2070 and 2060 in it again to see what happens.

Back