End of AM2+?

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
Are these Phenom II X6 basically the end of the line for AM2+? All information I see points to new sockets for AMD starting in 2011 and nothing new coming in 2010.

If am2+ ends am3 will end also since its the same thing practically other than ddr2/ddr3. Next socket i think will have quad channel like the Magny-Cours out now. Pretty much what comes out in the server side of Amd usually trickles down to the consumer side after awhile.

the x6's are probably the last major change to an AM3/AM2+ chip.....the bull dozer core may be backward compatible with AM3(one can hope :p, would doubt if it went back to AM2+....).....and ya, in 2011 Bull Dozer is scheduled for release, and that is rumored to be a new socket.

I have a AM2+ and my MB maker does not have any X6s listed as compatible, but it is still early. The fastest I CPU listed is the x4 955. I had been thinking about grabbing a 955 as soon as I could aford it, but I might wait and see if any of the X6s will be supported, especially sense the X6s seem to be really afordable, the 1055t is just over $200.
I believe one of the limiting factors for AM2+ is actually the 125watt limit, as it seems that currently nothing over 125watts is compatible, at least not for my MB. This may actually be a good thing, as both new X6s are 125watts. (the x4 965 isn't compatible and is 140watts).

the 965 is also 125 w :p the c3 revision did that

as for your mobo being ompatible, i would think DFI would release a bios update to support it, since DFI is pretty performance oriented......

I believe one of the limiting factors for AM2+ is actually the 125watt limit, as it seems that currently nothing over 125watts is compatible, at least not for my MB. This may actually be a good thing, as both new X6s are 125watts. (the x4 965 isn't compatible and is 140watts).
1. 125w was not a limit for AM2+. AMD produced the Phenom I X4 9950 Black Edition that was a 140w chip. Many motherboards have been certified for the 140w chips since all it takes is the right combination of power circuitry to power it. My Asus M3A-78T wasn't even a high end enthusiast board, but it was certified for 140w chips.
2. Only the initial batch of Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition's were 140w. They were only out a couple months before they were quickly replaced by the 125w C3 revision.

;)

So is the Phenom II X6 1090T the end of the line for AM3? Will there be something faster or more processors with die shrink later or is this it? I know they are making a x4 that might operate with 5 or 6 cores if you unlock them and a few that use less wattage, but is this flagship the last horrah for AM3?

no, it is not the "end of the line" there are different derivatives of the x6 lineup coming out, ie the 1095T due out Q4 2010, though the Thuban series is probably the last big thing to come up before bull dozer(remember thats just a year away....)

Back