encryption problem

VladDracule

[H]ard|Gawd
Im trying to un encrypt files. I honestly didnt know it would be this much of a hastle.

The problem started because my vid card was going haywire so in a last attempt (thinking it was drivers) i reformated. So now i dont have the user that encrypted the files on the compter anymore. The encryption was done just using windows, not a 3rd party or anything.

I NEED these files is there a way to un encrypt them

Did you export the key? If not, the data's probably lost.

The reason why it's a hassle is because the data is encrypted. If it wasn't a hassle, the encryption would be no good. Only way in Windows to decrypt would be if you had exported the key before formatting. Otherwise, you're probably out of look.

The reason why it's a hassle is because the data is encrypted. If it wasn't a hassle, the encryption would be no good. Only way in Windows to decrypt would be if you had exported the key before formatting. Otherwise, you're probably out of look.
This. If you were able to recover the data without the key that would be a serious flaw in Windows.

Im trying to un encrypt files. I honestly didnt know it would be this much of a hastle.

The problem started because my vid card was going haywire so in a last attempt (thinking it was drivers) i reformated. So now i dont have the user that encrypted the files on the compter anymore. The encryption was done just using windows, not a 3rd party or anything.

I NEED these files is there a way to un encrypt them

Visit a hacker site or contact microsoft, but it's probably impossible, that's the point of encryption.

Best thing to do: Mourn your loss.

EDIT:
Next time, BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE reformating, that includes unencrypting files.

I'm assuming you're using windows file system encryption?

If this is the case, you're out of luck. The files are encrypted using a self signed certificate tied your user account. If you format the machine, the user account and certificate are both toasted. As a result, you cannot decrypt the files. You can backup the self signed cert prior to reformatting, but if you fail to do so, you're not getting your files back.

As Arainach and provoko have both said, that's the whole point of encryption. If you could recover data by simply reformatting, it would all be kind of pointless.

Sorry, it's a hard lesson to learn: backup.

Back