Enabling Remote Desktop (Inbound)

lomn75

Purple Ace
I think this is a "lomn is stupid and forgot a setting" problem, but I can't figure out what that setting might be.

At home, I've got a couple of WinXP Pro systems I'd like to be able to access remotely. I can VPN to the LAN and then run RDC from there. However, RDC will only successfully connect to one of the two systems. So far, I've not found any differences in settings on the two machines to explain it. One works, one doesn't. Here's the stuff I'm sure of on the "doesn't work" system.
  • No software firewall
  • "Allow users to connect remotely" is checked.
  • The user in question is on the allowed list (not that I can get this far)
  • I can ping / see fileshares on the system via VPN, so that part is kosher.
I'm getting the "This system is not accepting remote connections" error -- the one that appears if "allow users to connect remotely" is left unchecked.

Any ideas?

lomn75 said:
I think this is a "lomn is stupid and forgot a setting" problem, but I can't figure out what that setting might be.

At home, I've got a couple of WinXP Pro systems I'd like to be able to access remotely. I can VPN to the LAN and then run RDC from there. However, RDC will only successfully connect to one of the two systems. So far, I've not found any differences in settings on the two machines to explain it. One works, one doesn't. Here's the stuff I'm sure of on the "doesn't work" system.
  • No software firewall
  • "Allow users to connect remotely" is checked.
  • The user in question is on the allowed list (not that I can get this far)
  • I can ping / see fileshares on the system via VPN, so that part is kosher.
I'm getting the "This system is not accepting remote connections" error -- the one that appears if "allow users to connect remotely" is left unchecked.

Any ideas?

Just a random suggestion, uncheck the box, hit ok/apply, then recheck it and ok/apply. That's what I'd do first. Sometimes those things get funky ;). Also try connecting with the checkbox not checked.

See if you can find the registry setting that this check box changes. Make sure the registry setting is properly enabled?

Also, for some reason I'm wondering if its an issue or conflict with the internal IP address of the system that doesn't work. Is it the same as an IP address somewhere else?

I'm just tossing out ideas :).

Are you absolutely sure the user permissions are setup correctly? Can you try another account, like the local admin on the misbehaving machine?

Uncheck / recheck: yeah, that's worth a shot. At some point it came unchecked (I had it working months ago, but hadn't used it for a while) but it's put back now. I'll try that when I get home.

IP: no conflicts. Working machine is static vs non-working is dynamic, but as noted, I can ping / fileshare w/o issue.

User permissions: I'm sure, but as noted, I can't get that far yet anyway. Still trying to get the login prompt to appear.

New twist: I can chain through the working RDC to the non-working RDC, so it's not RDC. I'm playing with VPN settings now to see if there's an IP conflict arising or something.

//edit: yeah, VPN at fault. I forgot to keep XP's VPN DHCP range apart from the router's DHCP range. No idea why that broke only RDC, but it works now.

So I was kinda right? Yay go me :D

No idea why that broke only RDC, but it works now.

Might have had something to do with ports and forwarding of them being confused.

Direwolf20 said:
Might have had something to do with ports and forwarding of them being confused.
Doesn't seem like that'd be the case, though. The only forwarded port is for VPN access, but at that point, I gain an internal IP with full access.

Back