Enabling monitor's built-in sound at 144hz???

elfkin

n00b
Hello [H]ardForum users

I have a question!
First of all, I have a monitor (Benq xl2430t) that I bought recently and it has a headphone jack and supports 144hz. So my question is whether I can get sound coming out of this monitor without using a hdmi cable? Sorry if this question does not make sense due to my complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

Thank you and appreciate all your responses.

I had Benq monitor (different monitor) once and its sound quality was joke. With dedicated headphone amplifier it was ok-ish but driving headphone directly there was no bass and it was obvious this thing cannot drive headphones. This is different monitor I would suggest testing quality of sound if you still haven't done that.

I'm not sure how 144hz plays into this question, but to use the headphone/microphone jacks on the side of the monitor with a video source that does not also transfer sound, you will need to connect the audio jack on the back of the monitor to the audio jacks on your computer.

DVI supports an audio channel, but your hardware up the chain all has to support it. I'm pretty sure NVIDIA supports audio over DVI, but not sure about that particular monitor.

If you don't have a discrete audio card, your motherboard should have come with built-in audio or an optional audio card. You can plug your headphones into the front stereo channel jack of either of these.

Hello [H]ardForum users

I have a question!
First of all, I have a monitor (Benq xl2430t) that I bought recently and it has a headphone jack and supports 144hz. So my question is whether I can get sound coming out of this monitor without using a hdmi cable? Sorry if this question does not make sense due to my complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

Does it have displayport? My friend's older BenQ monitor supports Displayport audio so this one should too.
DVI supports an audio channel, but your hardware up the chain all has to support it. I'm pretty sure NVIDIA supports audio over DVI, but not sure about that particular monitor.

If you don't have a discrete audio card, your motherboard should have come with built-in audio or an optional audio card. You can plug your headphones into the front stereo channel jack of either of these.

DVI doesn't. Not exactly (not officially anyway). It would if you added two hdmi adapters on each end though :p.

I had Benq monitor (different monitor) once and its sound quality was joke. With dedicated headphone amplifier it was ok-ish but driving headphone directly there was no bass and it was obvious this thing cannot drive headphones. This is different monitor I would suggest testing quality of sound if you still haven't done that.
Hi XoR
Thanks for the heads up. Haven't tested it but seeing this thing have this headphone stand made want to try it out in the first place.;)

gangolfus said:
I'm not sure how 144hz plays into this question, but to use the headphone/microphone jacks on the side of the monitor with a video source that does not also transfer sound, you will need to connect the audio jack on the back of the monitor to the audio jacks on your computer.
Hi gangolfus
Thanks for the tip, but my monitor has only one audio jack so that throws away that whole idea of yours. I'm sorry for not mentioning this in my OP.
Edit: unless I get an adapter might work actually for increasing the number of audio ports.

Armenius said:

Hi Armenius
Thanks for letting me know about that dvi being able to support sound transfer.
I thought only hdmi cable works this way. I need to research more and guess my cable or something is faulty or something else entirely.
I would use my pc tower's audio jack if it was not for that constant static sound��, but thanks for the suggestion.��

Alti said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin View Post
Hello [H]ardForum users

I have a question!

Does it have displayport? My friend's older BenQ monitor supports Displayport audio so this one should too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armenius View Post

DVI doesn't. Not exactly (not officially anyway). It would if you added two hdmi adapters on each end though :p.
Hi Alti
��DP??!! Does it support both audio and 144hz??? (Researching...) ... And so it does. Makes me wonder where I have been all this time. This solves my case and I gratefully thank you for it.

I have to give that a shot.��

Last edited:
May you update the thread when you get to using DP?

I have a very similar monitor, with a GTX750Ti, and DP is quite unstable for me (I also use the 2 HDMI ports on that monitor for my xbox and playstation). I also use the audio jack, though for a pair of small speakers. :D

Hi jeremyshaw

I got the DP today and worked completely fine. Not sure about the stability problems your having, but I did have an issue with it at first when I have both the DVI and DP plugged in at the same time. Not sure why they are in conflict with each other, but just unplugging the DVI solved it for me.

EDIT: I am getting random flickers whenever the desktop background transitions to different images. The flickering is completely stopped when I change it to 60hz. I will try getting a different DP cable and see what happens.

EDIT: The flickering stopped when I have certain programs opened (LOL launcher, VLC). Not to sure though. And the thing with both cables (DVI and DP cable) plugged into my monitor from my PC, it was actually recognizing the connections as 'two individual monitors' when there is only one. So I just had to go to screen resolution to make it use only the port that I want to use.

Last edited:
Back