emulating a drive

orthiles

n00b
ok, so the drive letter that my OS is installed one (windows xp) is accidentally E. some programs force me to write to the C drive, which I do not have. is there a way I can change the letter (couldn't in admin tools) or a way I can emulate the C drive and use space on my E drive? what software would I need (preferably freeware)?

Did you try clicking on my computer and then right clicking on the E (supposed to be C drive) and then going to the 'rename' option?

Not sure if that will do it. If that doesn't work you could look into using Partition Magic software. I've never used it but it should be able to reallocate space to a new C drive.

partition magic may be able to do it, but you may have to to a bootcfg /rebuilt through the recovery console afterwards, and probably no apps will run once you get into windows. You would probably be better off trying a repair install. Just disconnect any media card readers before reinstalling thats what seems to cause these issues alot of times.

You're only real option is to re-install, if you plan on having everything working afterwards. I've seen guides giving instructions, but I have yet to have it work, or here of anyone who had no issues after doing it.

I'm always amazed at how often people do this, but next time when you install XP, take your time and look at what letter it's assigning for the system volume. If it's not C:, you can back out, correct the issue, and the retry.

I agree with djnes, your best bet is to reinstall. I've seen tools that are supposed to go through the registry and change references from E:\ to C:\, but that's just the registry. Local configuration files won't be affected. Honestly, I'd rather get something that big right from the start rather than hope a program gets it right for me.

Back