Emprex 26" 1920x1200 LCD $329AR Frys.com and B&M

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxc

Extremely [H]
http://shop1.frys.com/product/5633291 and in the middle of the page in the LA/OC ad: http://adv.ocregister.com/rop/web/ocr/category.php?id=17&adid=20080711090225

I think it's this one: http://www.emprex.com/02_products_02.php?id=279

25.5" Wide-Screen TFT active matrix panel

Features
Display Panel: 25.5" Wide-Screen TFT active matrix panel
Resolution: 1920x1200)
Max. Display color : 16.7M Colors
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Brightness (Typical): 300 cd/m2
Viewing Angle (H/V): 170/150
Response Time: 5ms
Dimensions: 604(W) x 475(H) x 239(D) mm

I'm going to look at it after work and if it looks good, imma going to buy it.

very little information about this monitor available online... I wonder if it's good because that price is really low :D

I picked one up, but I'm not going to set it up until later.

In the store this monitor was on display on a higher shelf. You'd have to be about 7' tall to evaluate it at that height. :p I tried to tilt it the best I could to look for the tell-tale limited vertical TN viewing angles, but I didn't see it.

Anyways, if I don't like this monitor, i'll probably exchange it for the $299AR 24" Optiquest Q241wb. This guy says the Optiquest Q241wb he bought this week at Fry's has a S-PVA panel. I did notice his complaint in the store. It's a very bright panel and you'll probably need to adjust it from the OS.

edit: I opened the box, and I know Emprex doesn't make anything itself. The LCD appears to have been exported by Sinoware Technology, model SW26b. The display has another name on the label: Innolux Display Corporation. Innolux allegedly makes stuff for Apple, so hopefully the quality isn't bad. ;)

edit2: I set up the LCD and it looks nice. No dead or stuck pixels that I could find with full screen B/W/R/G/B images. BTW, the description on the box is accurate. The LCD only comes with an analog VGA cable. You need to supply your own HDMI or DVI cable to use those inputs. I'm probably going to keep it.

I'm interested in this... can you tell me anything more pxc? Will you be using this as a primary display? I am looking for a replacement for my 19" LCD. your impressions would be appreciated. also can confirm it's not a TN? how's gaming on it?

Based on this link, http://www.emprex.com/02_products_02.php?id=279, I would say that its an MVA screen. However, the specs seem to contradict each other. 16.7m colors means it's 8-bit, meaning it must be MVA or IPS, however the viewing angles suck, suggesting it's a TN.

Can anyone confirm if these specs are for the correct monitor and even if they're correct? I might call Fry's later and see if they can give me a mfg part number for it so I can confirm the specs. If it turns out to be a TN, you can prob force fry's to take it back since the manufacturer lied about the specs (TN's can't display 16.7m colors).

Based on this link, http://www.emprex.com/02_products_02.php?id=279, I would say that its an MVA screen. However, the specs seem to contradict each other. 16.7m colors means it's 8-bit, meaning it must be MVA or IPS, however the viewing angles suck, suggesting it's a TN.

Can anyone confirm if these specs are for the correct monitor and even if they're correct? I might call Fry's later and see if they can give me a mfg part number for it so I can confirm the specs. If it turns out to be a TN, you can prob force fry's to take it back since the manufacturer lied about the specs (TN's can't display 16.7m colors).

Almost certainly TN. I have not seen any *VA monitors with a 5ms response time, or for that cheap for that size (except for the LG L246WP-BN's that were being cleared out, not just on sale). The viewing angles also give away that its TN as you note; *VA monitors usually have their viewing angles even more exaggerated. ;) The 16.7m colors probably means after dithering. :p

I haven't seen TN specs that don't say 16.7m colors. TNs just use dithering to do it instead of an 8-bit panel. At 170/150, I'd say it's a TN for sure.

Received mine today, I guess I'll post the first review. First off just wanna say it does not look physically like a cheap piece of crap. The monitor has black glossy piano finish and a silver line at the bottom like most samsungs it looks a lot like a samsung. So physically it's a beaut. And just to confirm it is a TFT panel. It clearly states that on the outside of the box "TFT LCD FLAT PANEL" Overall this is a good monitor just as good as the higher end priced ones. It also has and HDMI input! Here are some pics.... if you have any questions just ask.

lcdpics001.jpg

lcdpics002.jpg

lcdpics006.jpg

I'm going to be putting mine on ebay though just because I feel like making money HAHAHAHA

Of course it is a TFT LCD panel... people are asking about the particular kind...

i.e. TN ; MVA ; etc..

ohhhh I See I had TFT confused with TN Panel my bad. TFT, TN, MVA, SPMVA, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH..

It's a nice monitor.

Of course it is a TFT LCD panel... people are asking about the particular kind...

i.e. TN ; MVA ; etc..

Yes please we need to know for those of us on the fence; And most importantly a more detail review.

Mine just came in today.. but unfortunately I'm no expert when it comes to figuring out what type of panel I'm looking at. I just haven't seen enough to know the difference. I can confirm that it doesn't have a cheap look to it at all. It also has zero dead pixels which was definitely a concern on a monitor this cheap. The on screen menu is fairly limited and it included no drivers, although windows correctly recognizes the appropriate refresh rates for all resolutions. However, a color profile would have been a nice touch. I feel like the colors are a bit off. If anyone has any specific questions or requests (like high quality pictures) just let me know.

If anyone has any specific questions or requests (like high quality pictures) just let me know.

Ideally, you could take a few photos with the monitor on and some colorful picture showing:
One photo from straight on (base reference)
One photo from a sharp angle below (if that comes out nearly inverted, it's a telltale sign on TN)
One photo from a sharp angle off to the side (if there's lots of gamma shift, it's a sign of VA)

most likely TN. I went to Fry's, did the old look at the monitor from an angle, and colors went all gnarly. not as bad as many other TN panels I've seen before, much like the westy 26" monitor, but still does it. still was a good price for a big monitor.

OK here's some pics for your enjoyment.

backlight.jpg

straight.jpg

side.jpg

below.jpg

light.jpg

Vertical viewing angles are pretty rough as you can see... so I guess that means it's a TN. I don't plan on watching any movies no the floor so I think I can live with it. :)

Gaming is pretty good. The side viewing angles aren't terrible.

One thing to note is that the resolution scaling is pretty bad. Lower resolutions don't look too great and 4:3 gets stretched to fit the screen. I play some older games so I find that a bit annoying. I know my video card can scale for me but the quality sucks as well.

I think this deal with probably pop up again in the future and I'd recommend it to anyone on a budget with an appetite for screen size.

Thanks for posting the pictures! Definitely TN; the shot from below proves that beyond a reasonable doubt. If you're happy with it, though, that's what matters. :)

(Heck, there are some people on the forum that actually prefer a TN to a VA, so it all comes down to personal preferences about the tradeoffs inherent in LCD technology; it's not like VA is hands-down superior to TN anyway. I personally prefer A-MVA over my previous TN though. :D)

I haven't seen TN specs that don't say 16.7m colors. TNs just use dithering to do it instead of an 8-bit panel. At 170/150, I'd say it's a TN for sure.
I have seen several. It just means they lie more than they already do. It's still a 256k color panel with random color distribution. If people keep settling for this, then it will be the only option we have.

I have seen several. It just means they lie more than they already do. It's still a 256k color panel with random color distribution. If people keep settling for this, then it will be the only option we have.

Yep, but I guess that's how people are nowadays... lower quality without bothering to think, then we're all stuck with it when it becomes the new "standard" because "everyone thinks it looks just fine."

Yep, but I guess that's how people are nowadays... lower quality without bothering to think, then we're all stuck with it when it becomes the new "standard" because "everyone thinks it looks just fine."

well... yes... and no...

you can't play counterstrike on a non TN panel without bad ghosting.

You can on a TN.

ideally, CS and other competition, fast games should be played on CRTs, but who wants to carry a 21" crt monster around or make room for one? (i did for years)

well... yes... and no...

you can't play counterstrike on a non TN panel without bad ghosting.

You can on a TN.

ideally, CS and other competition, fast games should be played on CRTs, but who wants to carry a 21" crt monster around or make room for one? (i did for years)

I don't see ghosting on my S-IPS panel, *shrug*. Not during games... if I look carefully I can when dragging windows around but it's hard to tell.

I don't see ghosting on my S-IPS panel, *shrug*. Not during games... if I look carefully I can when dragging windows around but it's hard to tell.

If its visible when dragging windows, then its bad enough for gaming.
For example:

1) install steam
2) download Counter Strike (not CS:S)
3) pick a server running on de_dust map (which should be at least 50% of em)
4) go into the complex building between the CS and the T spawns (not the tunnel) and look around

theres gonna be massive ghosting there on non TN panels. even TN panels suffer in here a bit.

There will still be high end panels for professionals and the like, we'll just lose the mid-range of panels :/. What's worse is that we can't even trust the viewing angles anymore. Companies are starting to measure their viewing angles at a lower contrast, giving them higher numbers for the angles.

I have yet to see any ghosting on my Soyo MVA and I play CoD4 all the time. It doesn't affect my performance at all. I'm usually top player on the server within a matter of a few minutes (from map start). I don't see why you would settle for the crap color quality of a TN panel just because it has a little faster response.

I have yet to see any ghosting on my Soyo MVA and I play CoD4 all the time. It doesn't affect my performance at all. I'm usually top player on the server within a matter of a few minutes (from map start). I don't see why you would settle for the crap color quality of a TN panel just because it has a little faster response.

Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not there. Or it doesn't bug you.

Same could be said for the lack of color in TN panels. Just because the colors are not there doesn't mean people notice. Or are bugged by it.

someone once said something about walking a mile in someone else shoes or something :p

someone once said something about walking a mile in someone else shoes or something :p

Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. After that you can say anything you want about him since you're not only a mile away, but you have his shoes.

How the fuck did this post get into a panel type argument. Different strokes for different folks. You don't like TN panels, so be it...No need to hijack this post with your "TN panels sucks" opinion. Let's stick to the review of this Emprex monitor.

Okay – the bushes and clouds look they are composed of 2 colors and I see banding in the clouds. …or maybe that’s because of the crappy TN panel I am on now. Who knows!

Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not there. Or it doesn't bug you.

Same could be said for the lack of color in TN panels. Just because the colors are not there doesn't mean people notice. Or are bugged by it.

There’s no ghosting on a Dell 2005FPW and that’s a 4 year old S-IPS panel with a claimed 16ms response time. The reason it’s so good with a high posted response time? LCDs use the lowest response time across the entire color spectrum. TNs have a response curve that looks like this “V” while 16.7 million color panels curve looks more like this “~“ What this means to you would be that color midnight blue has no ghosting, but the other 254/255 colors ghost. Both of them post false response times, but non-TN panels are closer to their average and refresh colors more equally.

Some information before you buy a cheap LCD and not realize what you are getting. Why be cheap now on something you are probably going to have to live with for the next few years? Buy better quality if you can afford it or wait a couple months for prices to fall.

How the fuck did this post get into a panel type argument. Different strokes for different folks. You don't like TN panels, so be it...No need to hijack this post with your "TN panels sucks" opinion. Let's stick to the review of this Emprex monitor.
You must be new here. :p *Every* thread about LCDs get trolled.

I'm very happy with this LCD purchase, definitely worth $330AR. I've been gaming, programming and browsing on it for a week.

Okay – the bushes and clouds look they are composed of 2 colors and I see banding in the clouds. …or maybe that’s because of the crappy TN panel I am on now. Who knows!

There’s no ghosting on a Dell 2005FPW and that’s a 4 year old S-IPS panel with a claimed 16ms response time. The reason it’s so good with a high posted response time? LCDs use the lowest response time across the entire color spectrum. TNs have a response curve that looks like this “V” while 16.7 million color panels curve looks more like this “~“ What this means to you would be that color midnight blue has no ghosting, but the other 254/255 colors ghost. Both of them post false response times, but non-TN panels are closer to their average and refresh colors more equally.

Some information before you buy a cheap LCD and not realize what you are getting. Why be cheap now on something you are probably going to have to live with for the next few years? Buy better quality if you can afford it or wait a couple months for prices to fall.

you say tomatoe... i say tomato

just agree to disagree and close this thread imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back