Emotiva BasX Speakers on Closeout

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Saw a deal over on Reddit about some Emotiva BasX speakers on closeout direct from Emotiva. No idea what the shipping is on these.

Emotiva BasX Sat Pair is $89. These are currently $200 on Amazon.
https://emotiva.com/collections/speaker-closeout/products/basx-sat

Emotica BasX LCR are $79. These are currently $149 on Amazon.
https://emotiva.com/collections/speaker-closeout/products/basx-lcr

BasX Sat Pair

basx_sat_pair_web_850x.png

BasX LCR
basx_LCR_iso_web_850x.png

Enjoy!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
I have a pair of Airmotivs and if that is any indication of quality for these, it's amazing. Yes, my speakers cost more than my GPU... but they'll last me awhile hopefully.

No idea why different speakers in the set would be different ohms.. so prob an error. Edit: read the pdf and it shows the same 4ohms for the sat and 8ohm for the center speaker.. strange.
Hint 1: the sat has 1 woofer
Hint 2: the center has 2
Thought experiment: What's the impedance if you put 2x 4-ohm drivers in series?

Ok makes sense.. I was looking at it like amps work at double the wattage for 4ohm and half if at 8ohm speakers are used. So the sats would be pumping out 100watts as the center would be doing 50watts. So it would seem hard to balance them together.

Wait. . .so does that mean it will work with an 8-ohm amp/receiver? I'm in the market for small speakers for my old receiver that's been in my closet for a few years, waiting for me to buy speakers for it.

The 4-Ohm rating on the sats just means that they require less power to output the same volume as a comparable 8-Ohm speaker. That also means that your receiver/amp should be able to feed the speakers those watts at a 4-Ohm load. I doubt these will be back when the current stock is sold because they have the Airmotiv line with AMT tweeters and a refresh of the powered Airmotiv monitors is just around the corner. As Hammer Sandwich stated, the reason for the difference is the number of drivers in the LCR and the associated increase in the length of wire used to wire the drivers in series. Personally, I would forego the satellites entirely unless space is an issue and just buy all LCR and use them for surrounds. Wrapping yourself in just the LCR speakers would make for a well-balanced system. Most mid and high range receivers can handle 4-Ohm and 8-Ohm mixed and all of Emotiva's amps can handle the load.

Wait. . .so does that mean it will work with an 8-ohm amp/receiver? I'm in the market for small speakers for my old receiver that's been in my closet for a few years, waiting for me to buy speakers for it.

I'd check that reciever first! Plug it in and turn the power on. I've had a few old demons and pioneer receivers that would error a second after turning them on after a long while in storage with no power.

It's like a large cap dies in them with no power for so long.. should of researched the issue and tried to fix them but I just tossed them out.

I'd check that reciever first! Plug it in and turn the power on. I've had a few old demons and pioneer receivers that would error a second after turning them on after a long while in storage with no power.

It's like a large cap dies in them with no power for so long.. should of researched the issue and tried to fix them but I just tossed them out.
Interesting, thanks for the heads up on this, yeah, I've been fortune to fix some new or even old audio equipment with like 25 cents in caps. Somehow I've managed to maintain 2 old Pioneer receivers (knock on wood) no repairs etc, but thanks for heads up on power thing. I've basically relegated them to zone 2/3 or garage equipment, one of them is like 25 years old and still works well for sound.

Anyway, interesting deal on speakers

Yeah mine were around 10-15 years old and worked perfectly solid before storing them :/

Thanks for the tip.

I plugged it in for an hour with no signs of problems. No speakers, no sound, but also it stayed lit and didn't give off smoke, so I guess that's the best I can hope for,

Thanks for the tip.

I plugged it in for an hour with no signs of problems. No speakers, no sound, but also it stayed lit and didn't give off smoke, so I guess that's the best I can hope for,

Good to go it sounds like! :)

The ohm/wattage difference won’t make them integrate poorly.

The center will be 3db louder due to the double woofer concept. The 4ohm will be 3db louder because of the ohm difference. They should sound 100% same with the same tweeter. The big thing here is that for movies a majority (like 90%) content will be channeled through the center so the increased bass from dual woofers will help with content reproduction which is why you see a bunch of OEM center channels with similar designs but additional woofers.

The center will be 3db louder due to the double woofer concept. The 4ohm will be 3db louder because of the ohm difference. They should sound 100% same with the same tweeter.
Maybe not - see Soundandvision's test. We shouldn't take too much from such minimal data, of course, but they do appear a bit different. Most interesting bit IMO, is that using 2 woofers improves neither sensitivity nor bass extension.

Maybe not - see Soundandvision's test. We shouldn't take too much from such minimal data, of course, but they do appear a bit different. Most interesting bit IMO, is that using 2 woofers improves neither sensitivity nor bass extension.
The second graph shows they (LCR) are within 1% of each other?

I didn’t mean to infer to bass extension but increased bass output. But according to your link it doesn’t have that either lol! So I dont know:confused:

Not sure what you mean about 2nd chart. Aren't you looking at the processor's electronic response?

BTW, I did misread. S&V used the 2-woofer version across LCR, so that model is 1.5dB more sensitive than the 1-woofer "surround."

Not sure what you mean about 2nd chart. Aren't you looking at the processor's electronic response?

BTW, I did misread. S&V used the 2-woofer version across LCR, so that model is 1.5dB more sensitive than the 1-woofer "surround."
I’m not exactly 100% sure, I thought the second graph was the different speakers summed with the sub?

Man, now I’m confused. lol

First chart shows the speakers. Note that FR is +/- 3dB, and only above 70Hz. Second is the preamp's at +/- 0.1dB or so, or 3% as much variation. And flat to the measurement's 20Hz limit.

This massive difference helps explain why many people - where's B00nie? - recommend worrying mostly about speakers & acoustics. Unless they're utter junk, electronics have very little influence on the sound in comparison.

It's not just about FR, of course, but that's one of the first areas to get right.

First chart shows the speakers. Note that FR is +/- 3dB, and only above 70Hz. Second is the preamp's at +/- 0.1dB or so, or 3% as much variation. And flat to the measurement's 20Hz limit.

This massive difference helps explain why many people - where's B00nie? - recommend worrying mostly about speakers & acoustics. Unless they're utter junk, electronics have very little influence on the sound in comparison.

It's not just about FR, of course, but that's one of the first areas to get right.
Depends, all they are listing is that no DSP was handled by the pre-which is key here, the frequency response in most cases are done in a room, not in an open area. I don’t know where the tester tested the boxes.

I know what you mean by saying the electronics have little to do with the shape of the response but that’s only in non-flat readings, a user can come in and jack a lot of things up.

As is the case with the dual woofer, we do see an increase in sensitivity. The article was just done confusingly, at least to me. I do well when writers explain things with crayons and sketches.

In any case this is getting derailed, the dual woofers do provide the added benefit, not in extension.

Yep.

Depends, all they are listing is that no DSP was handled by the pre-which is key here, the frequency response in most cases are done in a room, not in an open area. I don’t know where the tester tested the boxes.

I know what you mean by saying the electronics have little to do with the shape of the response but that’s only in non-flat readings, a user can come in and jack a lot of things up.

As is the case with the dual woofer, we do see an increase in sensitivity. The article was just done confusingly, at least to me. I do well when writers explain things with crayons and sketches.

In any case this is getting derailed, the dual woofers do provide the added benefit, not in extension.

A single woofer system can be much louder and deeper extending than a dual woofer one. I don't understand the point.

Back