Emergency

Daishiknyte

Limp Gawd
Help! I run a dual monitor setup using a 6800gt. Two hours ago I was playing EVE and doing some web browsing when the computer hardlocked. I wasn't doing anything at the time of the hardlock, no mouse movement, typing, etc. Upon restarting, the monitors would not get a signal. Every tenth try or so they will get a signal but then lose it again after a few monents.

Any ideas as to what is going on. I've tried using one monitor, waiting a bit then restarting and no go.

Help!

Thanks
Daishi

So you're not getting any monitor singal? Try reseating the card. Take a quick look and smell and see if you notice anything unusual.

One reseating later and still no go. Everything is booting fine, it just doesnt seem to be sending out a signal.

No smells, pops, or funny stuff going on. I haven't had a single problem with it for almost two years now and I have touched it since installation either.

Daishi

Do you have diagnostic LED's on your mobo? They can be pretty handy.
I've had this problem several times on my NF4 SLi-DR due to memory failure - it detects cpu, then memory then vga. So if the mem is borked it just sits there and sends no signal to the card.

rincewind said:
Do you have diagnostic LED's on your mobo? They can be pretty handy.
I've had this problem several times on my NF4 SLi-DR due to memory failure - it detects cpu, then memory then vga. So if the mem is borked it just sits there and sends no signal to the card.
yeah, check those out
if you don't have any, you can always try out from the beginning w/ only 1 stick of memory, cpu, and the video card to check if anything else is the problem...or slap in a spare :cool:

Messing with the memory didn't help. Everything is receiving power, no beeps, squeals, puffs of smoke, just blank monitors.

Try the TV out on the card. Hook it up to a TV via the S-Video or component cable and see if it's still a no go. The card will auto detect the connetion being used upon boot and should work without having to change anything in the controll center.

If you get nothing on your TV then it won't hurt to check to see if your PSU is at fault. Maybe the 12v lines that support your Pci-E power connector are at fault.

Go into your bios PC Health section and see what voltages it is reporting for your 12v lines.

Also try both monitors 1 at a time to rule that out.

If you have an anti virus program like Norton that has a bootable CD use that to see if maybe you have contracted a puter virus.

If your PC is OC'd in any way back all speeds back to default. Check to make sure your Pci-E slots are at default speeds.

When your car stops running always check to see if there is gas before you freak out and call a mechanic : )

I'm sorry, I should clarify what I am using. I am running a 3ghz p4 on a DFI 865 motherboard, an AGP 6800gt, and a gigc of ocz ram.

As for checking out the BIOS, I can't. No matter how long I wait or whatever I try, the gfx card refuses to send a signal to the monitors so there is NO picture whatsoever and unfortunately, I dont have a convenient TV to try.

Several times.

Could I be looking at a dead video card? The fan still spins and all but could something have just given out?

Is the fan on the acrd turning? How high did you have it overclocked?

The fan is on and moving and there was no overclock.

Thanks for taking the time and trying to help me.

Daishi

Daishiknyte said:
Could I be looking at a dead video card? The fan still spins and all but could something have just given out?
Appears to be dead. Only explanation for it not giving a signal on either ports to either monitor. Got another card you could borrow from a friend or something to test just to be 100% the card has died?

Good news and bad news. I went rumaging around for a spare gfx card on advice from wardozer and popped an old gf2 in. Well, same problem. It looks like I am going to have to tear down and start testing from scratch....

With the gf2, I've tried 3 different sticks of ram and still no luck. I am starting to think that the motherboard is the issue.

Could be. Bring it down to the BARE MINIMUM. One stick RAM, card, and cpu. Disconnect all other PCI deviced, drives, even the PSU while your at it =P. See if there is a signal then.

Nope Nada Zilch. For some reason, I think it was working better without the PSU :D It might have been my desperate imagination though.

All four diagostic LEDs are lit and that is making me a bit nervous after the number of "4 led dead" board stories I have read in the last couple of hours. It seems I will be availing myself of the DFI customer service section tomorrow.

Geez, you treat the thing well, keep it nice and clean and organized and updated and all you expect is for it to run without serious problems...no respect.

Thanks for all the advice.

Daishi

how dusty is it? i know that i actually had a bit of dust in my dimm slots b4 that gave me some blue screens b4, you might try that out, other than taht just waiting on dfi seems ur best bet

Just cleaned it out the other day. Well, it looks like DFI will be hearing from me tomorrow.

Back