Embargo date on Zen 3 reviews

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Do we have any idea when, or approx when AMD will lift the embargo on reviews for Zen 3? It is expected to be closer to the physical launch on Oct 20th, or shortly after / on the 8th?

While I'd like to see them after the announcement on the 8th, I'm betting reviews will be on the 20th or at most a few days before the physical launch.

I haven't heard anything yet on the actual embargo date. Of course, I'm unsure if I'm even getting samples of them this time around. We were sampled for Zen 2, so there is a good chance I'll get them. But I have no information at this time.

While I'd like to see them after the announcement on the 8th, I'm betting reviews will be on the 20th or at most a few days before the physical launch.

From a marketing perspective, I guess it makes sense to hold off showing reviews for as late as possible. Although that could also speak volumes itself. If a product is so great, then you'd think you would want to hype it up like Ampere. AOTS benchmark doesn't impress me because of course AMD would want to showcase Zen 3 with it. It's a best case scenario. Had a benchmark been leaked that showcased Zen 3 betting the 10900k in RDR2 at 1080/1440p by 10-15% I'd be super impressed. But AOTS we all know favours multi-core, not single threaded performance.
I haven't heard anything yet on the actual embargo date. Of course, I'm unsure if I'm even getting samples of them this time around. We were sampled for Zen 2, so there is a good chance I'll get them. But I have no information at this time.

Looking forward! Thanks,

Last edited:
From a marketing persepctive, I guess it makes sense to hold off showing reviews for as late as possible. Although that could also speak volumes.

It's pretty standard procedure for all manufacturers. The primary reason for this is that work on the product continues right up until release. The hardware is usually finalized the week before, but firmware such as BIOS revisions and AGESA code get worked on for release day. They circle back around to fix issues that pop up during the first days of the launch and beyond.

It's pretty standard procedure for all manufacturers. The primary reason for this is that work on the product continues right up until release. The hardware is usually finalized the week before, but firmware such as BIOS revisions and AGESA code get worked on for release day. They circle back around to fix issues that pop up during the first days of the launch and beyond.

That's crazy to think they finalize hardware the week before... you'd think they'd have finalized the hardware months before but then I'm also not familar with the whole process. I know Agesa code and Bios's get updates before and after as issues crop up, too many variables to test every scenario so I guess holding back as long as possible makes sense under that light. I really hope it does edge out the 10900k in gaming, because besides the AOTS benchmark, if Zen 3 only matches Cometlake in Gaming... in 3 months Intel will just drop Rocket lake which even if it's 10% IPC increase, will hold it's crown until they kick out their next chip. Would be nice to see AMD take the crown for both multi-core and single core, and stay on top for at least a few years.

That's crazy to think they finalize hardware the week before... you'd think they'd have finalized the hardware months before but then I'm also not familar with the whole process. I know Agesa code and Bios's get updates before and after as issues crop up, too many variables to test every scenario so I guess holding back as long as possible makes sense under that light. I really hope it does edge out the 10900k in gaming, because besides the AOTS benchmark, if Zen 3 only matches Cometlake in Gaming... in 3 months Intel will just drop Rocket lake which even if it's 10% IPC increase, will hold it's crown until they kick out their next chip. Would be nice to see AMD take the crown for both multi-core and single core, and stay on top for at least a few years.
I mean, they're probably on the hardware equiv of beta version 20 or so a week before launch. There may be minor hardware bugs, but it's mostly ironed out and production is probably set up if not already rolling out small batches.

Well, I misspoke. The hardware is usually, but not always finalized earlier. I have heard of cases where the hardware was finalized pretty close to release. Maybe not a week out, but not much longer than that. There was almost no time when AMD launched X370 because the motherboard makers placed priority on Z270 or whatever it was at the time. Firmware, is worked on right up until release. They put their best firmware that they have on the boards that are initially manufactured, but they'll almost always have updated BIOS revisions on release day.

Well, I misspoke. The hardware is usually, but not always finalized earlier. I have heard of cases where the hardware was finalized pretty close to release. Maybe not a week out, but not much longer than that. There was almost no time when AMD launched X370 because the motherboard makers placed priority on Z270 or whatever it was at the time. Firmware, is worked on right up until release. They put their best firmware that they have on the boards that are initially manufactured, but they'll almost always have updated BIOS revisions on release day.

The x370 I remember because motherboard makers didn't want to commit factory floor space, as well and primarily changing over tool and die for a new unproven platform with AMD, meanwhile Z270 was their bread and butter, at the time.

I am not sure if this is stupid but why not buy one but don't open it until reviews are out and you know for sure it is worth keeping. That way it prevents the hassle of having to return it if need be. Makes it a little easier. Plus if you get it off Amazon returns are super easy.

If memory serves it's rare that you can buy before the review embargo expires. But I remember seeing it happen.

I am not sure if this is stupid but why not buy one but don't open it until reviews are out and you know for sure it is worth keeping. That way it prevents the hassle of having to return it if need be. Makes it a little easier. Plus if you get it off Amazon returns are super easy.

Because that's not how this works. You can't buy them before the embargo date ends. Reviewers will have CPU's in hand about 7 to 10 days or so before the NDA expires.

If memory serves it's rare that you can buy before the review embargo expires. But I remember seeing it happen.

I can't think of a time where it's happened. Although, I've heard of some slipping through when a retailer makes a mistake or something like that.

I can't think of a time where it's happened. Although, I've heard of some slipping through when a retailer makes a mistake or something like that.

The only specific example I can find is the GTX 7800 512, but it looks like you're right it was a retailer selling early. This gentleman bought some cards on Nov 11 2005 and the reviewer NDA expired Nov 14.

Last edited:
Ampere was embargoed to the day of release. This is industry standard you fool.
Only the 3090 was embargoed to the day of release. The 3080’s embargo expired the morning on the day before launch.

The sales date is November 5, 2020.

When can we expect to see some reviews? Anyone have any concrete embargo date information?

The sales date is November 5, 2020.

When can we expect to see some reviews? Anyone have any concrete embargo date information?

Did you not read what was said about this earlier in the thread? Embargo dates and the day these products show up for sale are always one in the same with very rare exceptions.

Did you not read what was said about this earlier in the thread? Embargo dates and the day these products show up for sale are always one in the same with very rare exceptions.
Makes it hard for me to decide between a 5800X and a 5900X. I don't need lots of cores for gaming, but I want the chip that games the best between the two.

Makes it hard for me to decide between a 5800X and a 5900X. I don't need lots of cores for gaming, but I want the chip that games the best between the two.

How does that make it harder to decide? You'll get a review, it just won't be out until the CPU's are released. Planning, or preparation for those of you who find that sort of thing necessary doesn't change.

Reviews sometimes preceed wide spread availability, but not release. This is how it's been for more than a decade.

How does that make it harder to decide? You'll get a review, it just won't be out until the CPU's are released. Planning, or preparation for those of you who find that sort of thing necessary doesn't change.

Reviews sometimes preceed wide spread availability, but not release. This is how it's been for more than a decade.
It makes it hard to decide since I'll probably have to buy before I read reviews due to supply and demand. That's how it was for the 3XXX series. I want to upgrade on release. Hoping for more leaks of performance. If 5900X isn't really faster than 5800X then I'll buy the latter.

First world problems FTW.

It makes it hard to decide since I'll probably have to buy before I read reviews due to supply and demand. That's how it was for the 3XXX series. I want to upgrade on release. Hoping for more leaks of performance. If 5900X isn't really faster than 5800X then I'll buy the latter.

No, it wasn't. My review and all the others came out about the same time as the CPUs release. Availability was fine excluding the 3900X. Even so, they were sporadically available for several weeks before becoming readily available.

There was no reason other than impatience not to take a few minutes and scan some review results to see what you were getting. Fuck, you can do that in line while buying a CPU.

And honestly, this isn't hard to figure out. If you don't need the cores, the 5800X makes the most sense between it and the 5900X. The differences in boost clocks won't amount to much of anything in games.

Last edited:

try and buy both, send the one back that has poorer reviews.

No, it wasn't. My review and all the others came out about the same time as the CPUs release. Availability was fine excluding the 3900X. Even so, they were sporadically available for several weeks before becoming readily available.

There was no reason other than impatience not to take a few minutes and scan some review results to see what you were getting. Fuck, you can do that in line while buying a CPU.

And honestly, this isn't hard to figure out. If you don't need the cores, the 5800X makes the most sense between it and the 5900X. The differences in boost clocks won't amount to much of anything in games.

the 5900X might hold its value longer...the eventual 5700X might make the 5800X look much less desirable

I don't need a 5800X for my HTPC I don't need a 5800X for my HTPC.

Reactions: c3k
like this
You are a bad influence lol. I finally replaced my FX6300 system with a 3600XT and B450 in my HTPC.

Do we even have an idea what time these processors will go on sale?

ugg why are there still no official reviews

That's because violating NDA and publishing review before the information embargo is officially over early comes with serious consequences. Doing so means that you won't get product samples from that company prior to product launches ever again.

Back