email client

Discussion in 'General Software' started by colore, May 31, 2012.

1. colore

colore Limp Gawd

hello!

I am looking for an email client, that will have filters on the top of each column (subject, sender, etc column) with which you will be able to filter the viewed emails instantly

is there any?

thanks!

2. k1pp3r

k1pp3r [H]ardness Supreme

3. colore

colore Limp Gawd

can you tell me please how Outlook can do that?

4. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment [H]ard as it Gets

with views....

[​IMG]

most any mail client has those columns, windows mail, thunderbird et cetera.

5. k1pp3r

k1pp3r [H]ardness Supreme

Outlook is very customizable, and with the indexing service now information can be pulled and searched very quick

6. colore

colore Limp Gawd

I think you misunderstood

I dont want to sort the emails

I want to type inside text boxes and filter the viewed emails according to the typed text instantly

7. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

Thunderbird used to do it instantly, now you have to hit enter, but other than that, it does do it. Is this what you need?

8. colore

colore Limp Gawd

Yes! This is what I need and a little ENTER hitting wont hurt, but I dont this in Thunderbird at all!
    How do I enable it?

9. Shadow2531

Shadow2531 [H]ard|Gawd

Above the message list in Thunderbird (15.0a1, latest trunk at least) is a Quick Filter button. When you click it, it drops down a little bar (that stays there unless you click the Quick Filter button again) where you can type in a search field. You do not have to press enter in it. It's find-as-you-type. There are also buttons below the field to control what parts of the messages are searched.

In Opera's built-in mail client, there's a search field above the message list. It's find-as-you-type too. With it, you just type a space-separated list of words and Opera will show the results (You can use quotes for an exact-string search). Opera does this really fast because the entire message is split up into words and indexed into a search database when the message is fetched. So, when you search, it's a simple database lookup. Opera doesn't give you control over what part of the message to search in or to use regexp. If you want that, you have to set up a label and use rules etc.

A cool thing about Opera's search field is that it searches the current view by default, but you can click to search all messages instead of you want.

You can also save the search you as a label with rules in Opera.

Now, even though you weren't looking to sort though, Opera has a lot of ways to sort messages (way too much to go into at one time). It even has a lot of views by default for sorting messages. Chances are, the messages you're looking for might already be sorted into a few.

10. colore

colore Limp Gawd

is there a chance to have this in Outlook, because at work we use MS Exchange and Outlook is the only way to go
    thanks

11. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment [H]ard as it Gets

yes, change your View options.

12. colore

colore Limp Gawd

what you mean exactly?

I use Outlook 2003