Email admins, how relevant is SORBs anymore?

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
I haven't been hands on with an email server in a couple years, so I need the experience of some "in the trenches" email admins; how relevant is sorbs anymore?

I operate my own mail server and never messed with: sorbs but it looks like I might have to take look at it.

If you are looking for a RBL, I always felt spamhaus had more compelling options.

Of course, like I said, I haven't admin'd an email server in a couple years now, so I'm not sure how the landscape has changed. SORBs was overly aggressive when i was running a server, though, so I never used it.

SORBS sucks. If you get listed on sorbs it's very difficult to get removed. As a result they have the highest rate of non spammers. Use spamcop and spamhaus and you'll be good.

As Mister natrual said: SORBS blows. WAY more restrictive as active use RBL, possible to be listed for no reason and damn near requires an signed, notarized document from the Pope hisself to be removed.

I use Spamhaus XBL and SpamCop. Because we don't do any business with anyone in China or Russia, I also use country-based blocking via: countries.nerd.dk

Last edited:
SORBS is pretty hard to get off of if you run into an issue. They are not very friendly and are painful to deal with. SORBS claims that they only way you can get on is to e-mail specific spam catching e-mail addresses. The issue with that is if you have an indecent where an account gets phished and it sends e-mail to one of those addresses and you get the issue taken care of, the bounce back from the address can get you in a loop of being back on the SORBs list.

Spamhaus and SpamCop both seem to have less false positives than SORBs in my past experience.

I was using SORBS on my personal mail server for awhile (couple of months) until I realized it was blocking legit e-mail that I needed. I can't remember what e-mail exactly was being blocked. I want to say Citicards, but am not sure. At this point I only run Spamcop and Spamhaus Zen. Spamcop catches most of the spam right now.

Back