eMachines Athlon II X2 2402.8Ghz 4GB DDR3 500GB Windows 7 Home Prem 64b 349.99

Guido02

Limp Gawd
I need a computer for work that can handle a lot of Microsoft Office Suite work including Publisher(sometimes 10 or more publisher files open at a time), and I also need it to be able to do video encoding and some minor photo editing. This eMachines seems like a decent price for what it has.

Can I get some input on whether or not this is a good deal for what I will be getting, and also should it handle what I need it to?

It's not bad but not great either, basically it is about the same price you would pay for the parts and OS if you did it yourself. Basically you couldn't build it cheaper but you're not getting ripped either.

Check out deals at Dell on refurbs on the Dell outlet site. I got a computer like that for a friend for around 260 plus tax. It had a couple of scuffs on the chassis, but the computer has the same warranty.

Check out deals at Dell on refurbs on the Dell outlet site. I got a computer like that for a friend for around 260 plus tax. It had a couple of scuffs on the chassis, but the computer has the same warranty.

Is there a way to use the old dell outlet layout? the new outlet is very hard to actually find a system in stock, the old one you could just see all the desktops at once.

To munkle and others, can I get into a quad core around this price. I need a full setup.

To munkle and others, can I get into a quad core around this price. I need a full setup.

You could if you had a frys or microcenter and wait for a amd quad core with a free mobo on sale, other wise no probably not because the os will push you over.
In this combo you would save an extra $15 off the hard drive with coupon code so it would be $340 + around $10 shipping. The case has a decent powersupply and is only $2.99 to ship which is why I chose it.

If you spend $400, you could build an Athlon II X4 based system. Since it doesn't seem like you need a decent video card, you could just go with an on-board gpu. That would save you a lot of money.

For bottom end machines, the OS requirement almost always pushes the build it your self equivalents price over the box store price. If you already have an OS, you can typically build it yourself for a touch cheaper, but not much. Their volume discounts simply undercut what you can buy it for, unless you find a screamin' deal on a special sale, or a number of screamin' deals.

Lately, when acquantances ask what computer they should buy, I ask them what their budget is and point them at the best box store/dell system for the price. Then I am not their support person. :)

If its someone who wants to build their own for a special purpose and who knows how to read and use the internet, I still give 'em the old style help with advice and parts lists.

FWIW my daughter's emachines I got for the same price almost two years ago still is running perfectly fine. And I will admit the simplicity of opening the box and turning it on (then deleting crapware at my liesure) was certainly a bonus. If I value my time at what my employer values it, I "saved" about 150 bucks worth of my time.

BB

Lately, when acquantances ask what computer they should buy, I ask them what their budget is and point them at the best box store/dell system for the price. Then I am not their support person. :)

Isn't it strange that when your friends, relatives, or acquaintences (or even THEIR friends, relatives, or acquaintences) know that you know IT, they think they're entitled to your knowledge, advice, and support, and for free?

The best word I ever learned was "No."

Isn't it strange that when your friends, relatives, or acquaintences (or even THEIR friends, relatives, or acquaintences) know that you know IT, they think they're entitled to your knowledge, advice, and support, and for free?

Best word I ever learned was yes, I have received far more favors from helping them than saying no. I recieved 2 160gb hard drives, 1 320gb and various pc parts from a friend that I always help with his pc.

I think I should put my own together. After some thinking, I do alot of graphic design(marketing and advertising material), and then I do a bit of video editing as well, and I think the quad core is the way to go. I have a budget of $450, but I need to get everything except a HDD and an ODD in that range. Can it be done??

Edit: Does the eMachine have the ability to have cores unlocker? I know that there are no garuantees, but for the price, that would make one heck of a value.

Last edited:
I think I should put my own together. After some thinking, I do alot of graphic design(marketing and advertising material), and then I do a bit of video editing as well, and I think the quad core is the way to go. I have a budget of $450, but I need to get everything except a HDD and an ODD in that range. Can it be done??

Edit: Does the eMachine have the ability to have cores unlocker? I know that there are no garuantees, but for the price, that would make one heck of a value.

Well if you look at what I posted and $100 for the os yes it can be done just remove what you don't need, and no the emachines can't unlock cores.

Yeah, if you're looking to overclock, unlock cores or do ANYTHING in the BIOS other than turn ACPI on and off or change your boot device order, do NOT get a retail box. The BIOS is almost always crippled to keep the know-nothings from f**king it up and causing expensive support requests and RMAs.

BB

Amen! I am just particularly peeved after this weekend. I am going to start telling people they need to mow my loan, take care of my yard etc, for a fix. Then when I get a dumbfounded look, explain it's so they can work for me for free, after they're done with their full time job. I don't want the money though, just like I don't want a side job.

It's usually either spyware bloat from a messy surfer, a dinousaur of a computer, or both. Ensuring a high likelihood you'll see it again if you go the nice guy route, down the road.

I will be pointing him to something like this. It was an Athlon XP box I was asked to screw with. It's either the board or the cpu, but I'm telling him to get something like this and let me R&R after work.

No. The only dual-core AMD chip that can unlock to a quad is the 45nm 2.2ghz Athlon X2 5000+, which is a great value at around $36 at Ewiz. Note that it is AM2+ only.

Back