Elon Musk's Flamethrower Tested

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
DriveTanks.com pitted the Boring Company's "Not a Flamethrower" flamethrower against a commercial XM34 and a US military M9 flamethrower. As it turns out, "Not a Flamethrower" is a pretty accurate name.

See for yourself in the video here.

Still can't top this:
k4H460l.gif

So all you really have to do to make it a flamethrower would be to add an attachment that shoots out a strong stream of diesel or alcohol, or whatever.

All the "Not A Flamethrower" is is a propane torch.

A can of WD-40 with the straw on it makes a better flamethrower then the Not A Flamethrower.

Meh, we already knew about Musk's culvert clearer. My attention was drawn more toward the tanks in the rear.

Can you get disabled plates for those in TX?

He said int he JRE podcast that it's literally a roofers torch with a shell on the outside. So, no, it isn't a flamethrower. Still cool to own just for the lols though.

Edit: Also, watched the video, can't stand Texans. "Well Elon that's how we do it here in Texas"...no you redneck mother fucker, it's how the United States military created the M2 flame thrower 70 years ago.

Sorry, having lived in Texas I just got irritated by the whole "Texas does it best" on everything even though they, ya know, didn't...go visit Lubbock and tell me that shit..

Last edited:
There is a reason why the WW2 flamethrower operator was a prime targets for the Japanese defenders. Japanese soldiers after the war feared the M2 flamethrower more then any other weapon the Americans possessed.

Not surprised. When I was a teenager, a buddy of mine built a scaled down "flame thrower" (more range than Elon's, but not even close to the WW2 model). From my memory, he used a fuel mix of diesel and some type of oil. It smelled pretty bad, burned black smoke - guessing the range was about 10 feet or so? (His parent's found out he built it and confiscated it)
His dad had a workshop - this guy used to build all kinds of stuff. He built pipe bombs out of black powder (can you imagine nowadays? He also blew up a dog house (dog was not in it). Again, parents took these away...)
I lost track of this guy. Wonder what he ended up doing... I wouldn't have been surprised if he turned up on a TLC show or something someday making stuff. He wasn't a violent or crazy person - just an industrious teenager with access to stuff. If there was ever a zombie outbreak, you wanted this guy on your side.

A can of WD-40 with the straw on it makes a better flamethrower then the Not A Flamethrower.

You don't even want to attempt this. I was using wd-40 to oil a dryer bearing (was going to just replace it, but my brother just told me to oil it with WD-40- it was his dryer). So, 3 hours after my sister in-law used it, I checked to make sure it was cool, and everywhere I could get to was cool, but way back in the back, in the corner it was still hot I found out. Anyhow, I went and started to oil the bearing, and it ignited, shot up the stream causing the can to exploded/shoot flames out the side about 2 inches from the bottom (which I am guess is designed to do so it doesn't just explode completely , singed my eyebrows and goatee, cough the box and blanket behind me on fire, as well as singed my pour dogs coat in his side. (he wouldn't come near me for the rest of the day... I don't blame him.. LOL )

Anyhow, I know you used it as just an example, but, be warned, it will not work out so well, so don't ever try it, even if you have been successful before.

You don't even want to attempt this. I was using wd-40 to oil a dryer bearing (was going to just replace it, but my brother just told me to oil it with WD-40- it was his dryer). So, 3 hours after my sister in-law used it, I checked to make sure it was cool, and everywhere I could get to was cool, but way back in the back, in the corner it was still hot I found out. Anyhow, I went and started to oil the bearing, and it ignited, shot up the stream causing the can to exploded/shoot flames out the side about 2 inches from the bottom (which I am guess is designed to do so it doesn't just explode completely , singed my eyebrows and goatee, cough the box and blanket behind me on fire, as well as singed my pour dogs coat in his side. (he wouldn't come near me for the rest of the day... I don't blame him.. LOL )

Anyhow, I know you used it as just an example, but, be warned, it will not work out so well, so don't ever try it, even if you have been successful before.

Were you using the straw?

I actually did this multiple times when I was a teenager. Have to stop using it once the tip of the straw starts to melt from the heat.

The only way I can see it going all the way back to the can is one of these:
1. No straw
2. Stream is not shooting fast enough to keep the flame from traveling back to the can.. Maybe didn't shake the can before use or the can is almost out of propellant.

Someone is telling a TALL tale or forgot the Poes Law /s tag.

In order for a fuel to ignite it needs to combine with (usually) oxygen. There is no oxygen in the can so the flame cannot backup into the can to explode.

This is the same reason a gas stove does not send the flame back down the pipes. And we all know about those exploding propane tanks on bbq grills.;)

Yeah.. some cat made a similar blow torch while the 'not-a-flamethrower' thing was being made.

Seems fairly similar. So I can only imagine some enterprising [H]-goon cranking these out for christmas.

Side note - the terms of service was a nice touch.

upload_2018-9-18_12-59-47.png

In order for a fuel to ignite it needs to combine with (usually) oxygen. There is no oxygen in the can so the flame cannot backup into the can to explode.

This is the same reason a gas stove does not send the flame back down the pipes. And we all know about those exploding propane tanks on bbq grills.;)

True. If the can has a leaking sprayer, I can see the WD40 on the can catching fire and in turn melting the plastic valve which would end up causing a nice shower of flames and possibly an exploding can.

If the straw wasn't being used I can also see the flame going all the way back to the spray nozzle as when using the straw, the flame goes almost all the way back to the straw and starts melting it.

Too many questions for said story teller who has not replied back yet.

mine explode all the time. just last night i was sneaking about some back yards, the cops shot at me and boom random propane tank next to me exploded. After i woke up in the parking lot if the hospital with half my money gone i decided to be more careful around them. I have lot millions of dollars because of them.

mine explode all the time. just last night i was sneaking about some back yards, the cops shot at me and boom random propane tank next to me exploded. After i woke up in the parking lot if the hospital with half my money gone i decided to be more careful around them. I have lot millions of dollars because of them.

Legitness.

one is a stock roofing torch, hence why it's called not a flamethrower, and the other is a flame thrower. Lets compare intel cpus to nvidia gpus next!

While this is true, I have exploded many a can back in my younger years. You just need a second source, a hole punctured in the can followed by lighting it can create this fun experience. Or simply tossing a can in the fire, letting it melt a hole and then watch it explode.

The best flame I ever got out of a can was by shooting a can of Lysol in a brushfire. Nice!

Lol, it would be cool as hell to have the Elon Musk one to light my barbecue. Would be a nice conversation piece.

That is pretty neat.
But WTF, do these people not watch what they edit before posting? The friggin audio levels are all over the place, I couldn't hear the dude on the right during the closing of the video.
One thing I hate doing is playing with my volume controls when watching a video.

Not a flamethrower is really a torch. No surprise there.

WD-40 was/is developed as a water displacement product. It is mostly kerosene and a piss poor lubricant. Those who use it as such get what they deserve.

What a disappointment. I was hoping for something that would at least clear my sidewalk this winter. Looks like at the very least I need an XM42, but with the XL18 I could be a hero and clear the neighbor's walk at the same time. Decisions, decisions.

Sorry, having lived in Texas I just got irritated by the whole "Texas does it best" on everything even though they, ya know, didn't...go visit Lubbock and tell me that shit..

Tex-Mex

BOOOOOOM!!!!!

That is pretty neat.
But WTF, do these people not watch what they edit before posting? The friggin audio levels are all over the place, I couldn't hear the dude on the right during the closing of the video.
One thing I hate doing is playing with my volume controls when watching a video.

THATS HOW THEY DO IT IN TEXAS!

I think these kind of videos were to be expected. Imagine the Amazon reviews.

1 Star

Followed instructions exactly, but while attempting to burn my Vietnamese neighbors out of their home, police arrived and confinscated my ‘not a flamethrower’. Will be looking for a re-homed M9 for any future attempts at arson.

Edit: and it’s all Elon Musks fault.

He said int he JRE podcast that it's literally a roofers torch with a shell on the outside. So, no, it isn't a flamethrower. Still cool to own just for the lols though.

Edit: Also, watched the video, can't stand Texans. "Well Elon that's how we do it here in Texas"...no you redneck mother fucker, it's how the United States military created the M2 flame thrower 70 years ago.

Know what you mean... I love Texas personally but it can get a bit annoying eventually. Plus, I wonder how many anti-Hillary posters/stickers/shirts/etc. they have hanging around that place :D

Could make as good flame thrower w/a bit of ether starter fluid that's not nearly as boring.

While this is true, I have exploded many a can back in my younger years. You just need a second source, a hole punctured in the can followed by lighting it can create this fun experience. Or simply tossing a can in the fire, letting it melt a hole and then watch it explode.

We used to do similar stuff whilst camping at the local lake in the 1980s. We’d round up a bunch of mostly empty spray paint cans, a bunch of beer and/or moonshine (often mixed with shrooms or LSD), build a bonfire and toss the cans in the fire. It is quite amazing that A: we lived through those years and B: how high those damned cans would go in the air. Wild teenaged boys and girls.

Did anyone else see the hottest (mirrored) Adidas logo when they lined up to show the varying distances each could "throw" fire?

Yes most beta nerds are generally angry at men doing men stuff. Think you can find a guy in San Francisco would even be able to pick up one of those much less know how to use it? Think there is a place in Vermont where I can go fire an actual tank? I know it hurts your progressive feelings, but sorry this guy has earned the right to talk smack. Yes they probably didn't vote for gangster Hillary, but there are plenty of other types that did.

Yes most beta nerds are generally angry at men doing men stuff. Think you can find a guy in San Francisco would even be able to pick up one of those much less know how to use it? Think there is a place in Vermont where I can go fire an actual tank? I know it hurts your progressive feelings, but sorry this guy has earned the right to talk smack. Yes they probably didn't vote for gangster Hillary, but there are plenty of other types that did.

Someone has some self esteem issues lol..

So they discovered that a product called "Not a flamethrower" is not actually a flamethrower ... guess on the next episode we'll find out if you get wet when when swimming in the ocean (y)

e-thugging in progress ... :ROFLMAO:

beta nerds? wtf man

What peasant would have it uninstalled?! Ha!

View attachment 105002

TF2 > Fortnite.

i loved tf2 it was great... after it went free for play i never could find a server that wasnt full of hackers... it became no longer fun to play when you cant counter auto aim and auto snipe. maybe its better now. wish they would make an xbox one version

Back