Elon Musk Whips Out The D

A five yard penalty and loss of a down for the thread title.

Has anyone ever died in a Model S? Because i see those sensationalist stories and have yet to see one where the driver dies or hell is even injured seriously.

Not to mention that the impacts that caused those 2 (?) fires would have been just as bad or worse for a traditional gas vehicle. Pole vaulting on metal debris at high speed is generally a bad thing for a car.

At least they don't have the 'keys falling out of the ignition while driving' problem...
typical lack of accuracy from a Tesla supporter. Getting the scenario wrong is one thing, but just the rate of incidents doesn't even compare. 13 serious claims out of tens of millions of cars. Tesla Model S's are in the 50,000 category? To get to a volume of tens of millions, those handful of fires become 200x bigger. So 4 fires become 800. In 800 fires you are going to not dodge deaths.

Telsa's tiny volumes have protected it and made it look good for people who can't do math. Supporter (and others) should keep their mouths shut, really.

Meant to be the more affordable model, wonder what the pricing will look like.

typical lack of accuracy from a Tesla supporter. Getting the scenario wrong is one thing, but just the rate of incidents doesn't even compare. 13 serious claims out of tens of millions of cars. Tesla Model S's are in the 50,000 category? To get to a volume of tens of millions, those handful of fires become 200x bigger. So 4 fires become 800. In 800 fires you are going to not dodge deaths.

Telsa's tiny volumes have protected it and made it look good for people who can't do math. Supporter (and others) should keep their mouths shut, really.
None of the fire incidents have been dangerous so far i haven't read one instance of instant combustion i've read incidents where the car is crashed and half an hour later catches on fire or the driver is driving and the car warns them about battery operation and half an hour later it catches on fire.

I see a lot of Model S cars on the road actually in the area I live in. I was impressed by the car overall, though I do think the body shape/styling is rather contrived and resembles in some ways the Aston Martin/Maserati coupes and sedans. Let's hope that as volumes increase of these cars on the road, the fire incident percentages do not track with said vehicle number increases. I am interested in what the new model reveal will show us all.

I see a lot of Model S cars on the road actually in the area I live in. I was impressed by the car overall, though I do think the body shape/styling is rather contrived and resembles in some ways the Aston Martin/Maserati coupes and sedans. Let's hope that as volumes increase of these cars on the road, the fire incident percentages do not track with said vehicle number increases. I am interested in what the new model reveal will show us all.

Should be fine, it happens to the big boys of low production numbers all the time :p

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/550000-ferrari-recalled-for-fire-risk-20100902-14o6v.html

Should be fine, it happens to the big boys of low production numbers all the time :p

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/550000-ferrari-recalled-for-fire-risk-20100902-14o6v.html
I don't see why a slow burning fire that takes forever to start after a car has been essentally totaled in a crash is considered a horrible thing. Outside of the potential to start a brush fire or the fact that burning batteries is clearly bad for the environment i hardly would consider it dangerous.

The main issue with the fire is you need special fire-retardants given the fuel source. So fire departments would have to respond differently to car fires.

The main issue with the fire is you need special fire-retardants given the fuel source. So fire departments would have to respond differently to car fires.

They're supposed to use water for fires on the Model S.
Extinguish small fires, that do not involve the high voltage battery, using a CO2 or ABC extinguisher.

If the high voltage battery becomes involved in fire or is bent, twisted,
damaged, or breached in any way, or if you suspect that the battery is
heating, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. DO NOT extinguish
fire with a small amount of water. Always establish or request an additional
water supply.

The same scare stories were thrown about when the Toyota Prius came about... "oh no the electricity!!!!!" people haven't died yet because fire crews don't know what to do.

Isn't this why firefighters frequently train on how to combat fires appropriately? I remember my local fire department specifically training on how to handle hybrid car fires (i.e. Prius, Leaf, etc) along with several other nearby fire departments.

I suspect the car fire incidence rate even for the Tesla models' production vehicles is much lower than the overblown media hysteria would lead one to believe. They do love the scare tactics though.

The expansion of the Tesla model lines is great, in my opinion. I can't wait to see what else they can engineer and by the time I can afford a new vehicle I will strongly consider purchasing a Tesla if they are making something that will suit my needs.

Damn, just what I need, a day with Musk's D all other the internets.

Honestly it looks like a great car which I would love to have, if I could afford it.

Damn, just what I need, a day with Musk's D all other the internets.

Honestly it looks like a great car which I would love to have, if I could afford it.

All "OVER" the Internets.
Damn, I really need to proofread.

Rumor is this is an updated Model S with an AWD package (dual motor). The AWD is on the Model X, so they may have ported it to the Model S. Tesla confirmed an AWD Model S will be coming next year.

Personally, I would have named it Model S-TD (S-TrueDrive, duh).

The same scare stories were thrown about when the Toyota Prius came about... "oh no the electricity!!!!!" people haven't died yet because fire crews don't know what to do.

Yeah fire crews should be trained for dealing with electricity way before electric cars came along. There have been electrical fires from plenty of other stuff before (ever since we started using electricity basically).

Yeah fire crews should be trained for dealing with electricity way before electric cars came along. There have been electrical fires from plenty of other stuff before (ever since we started using electricity basically).

Well to be fair I think the issue with when they use the jaws of live to hack up a car, because the batteries are in the back and the electrical cables run to the front, gotta make sure you don't snip through one of them when trying to extract someone.

Back