Elon Musk Smokes Weed in Podcast

There is a thought going around that he is trying to get the banks to liquidate his stock before the company goes belly up. Tesla has a huge interest payment coming due and after that the company will be very short of operating capital. We should know in January what the real deal is with Tesla, maybe December.

Why is this a big deal? I'm not a fan of Musk for many reasons but his choice of interview relaxation isn't one of them.

I get why going private is so tempting. Really as an investor who cares of the CEO smokes a bit of the mary jane. That the US still considers it illegal is insanity. If he had been filmed with a glass of $10,000 a bottle wine the stock would have likely went up. As long as he isn't being filmed smoking crack ala Rob Ford, who gives a toss.

drink whisky too. good one?

I hope it's either single malt highlands Scotch, or a good American Rye. Bourbon would be my third choice, but I wouldn't turn down a nice glass of Booker's.

Funny thing is, I can drink whiskey and smoke cigars all weekend, then come into work on Monday, and as long as I'm not drunk then, it's A-OK. However, if I puffed one hit of weed on Friday night, I will get fired when they get around to hair testing me later.

Oh well, I do enjoy wine, whiskey, and cigars...

I think this just shows a generational divide.

To some outlets the topic of the discussion was not important, the "weed" angle was center stage, the new generation could give a crap what old nannies in a small town like to gossip about lol.

Here's the actual interesting stuff:
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/0...r-its-actually-a-thing-to-maximize-enjoyment/
https://electrek.co/2018/09/07/elon-musk-joe-rogan-buy-tesla-model-s-p100d/

- Artificial intelligence concerns, the pros and cons, the risks.
- Climate change discussion and Tesla's mission statement around tackling that existential problem.
- Discussing the practicality and plans relating to the recent VTOL trends. Too many things on the table to consider flying vehicles, otherwise the main obstacle is battery energy density at this point.
- Tesla driver falling asleep and hitting a biker early on being the trigger for accelerating Autopilot project.
- Cars with lowest probability of injury ever tested.
- Rogan was impressed by the explanation of how the motor's performance offers so many benefits vs the old combustion engine, cool details and information relating to acceleration, traction, efficiency etc.
- The host, a major gearhead and EV skeptic, within a couple hours, was convinced to buy a Tesla P100D, in front of his 4.2 million followers.
- "I'd rather be optimistic and wrong than pessimistic and right. " -Musk

etc.

You know, stuff 21st century techies actually care about.

Last edited:
Considering his erratic behaviour recently he could use a few more j's.

That was a f'n dumb ass thng to do. Jezus wtf was he thinking?

Considering his erratic behaviour recently he could use a few more j's.

pot is actually tied to increased symptoms of paranoia and erratic behavior.

There are medical benefits to pot, including "mellowing out." But there are long term consequences. This is why it needs to be a regulated drug to weigh cost to benefits.

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/spe...th-cannabis-use-psychiatric-practice/page/0/1

Read the full article. It is balanced and presents both sides. I don't condemn pot smokers. But they need to know the risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the people that think "it doesn't look good": Just grow up.

Why because statistically speaking pot heads are more likely to get hooked on other "harder" drugs, or they suffer from other psychological problems, or have an increased incarceration rate for non drug related offenses....Nothing to worry about here.

It is HIS own life. He has the right. But I think he just himself voted out by share holders.

Whether he inhaled or NOT is not the point. It's the image it portrays about his stability and decision making. CEO's need to be golden halo icons, especially when they are under attack.

He is imploding.

Why because statistically speaking pot heads are more likely to get hooked on other "harder" drugs, or they suffer from other psychological problems, or have an increased incarceration rate for non drug related offenses....Nothing to worry about here.

It is HIS own life. He has the right. But I think he just himself voted out by share holders.

All of those things are true with alcohol as well. Double standard.

Most people try alcohol before pot, so if weed is a gateway drug alcohol is even more of one.

Alcohol users suffer from more psychological problems as well, but there is a question of correlational directionality in both cases (self medicating)

Alcohol users also have a higher incarceration rate for non drug related offenses, and more worryingly alcohol is specifically associated with VIOLENT crimes.

I don't think Elon needs to worry too much about incarceration though. He is rich after all.

I don't like drugs. I think Elon Musk is brilliant. These two ideas are exclusive. The mainstream media loves pot. They don't like some of the things Musk has said over the years. Figure out where I am going with this?

All of those things are true with alcohol as well. Double standard.

Most people try alcohol before pot, so if weed is a gateway drug alcohol is even more of one.

Alcohol users suffer from more psychological problems as well, but there is a question of correlational directionality in both cases (self medicating)

Alcohol users also have a higher incarceration rate for non drug related offense, and more worryingly is specifically associated with VIOLENT crimes.

I don't think Elon needs to worry too much about incarceration though. He is rich after all.

Yes it is a double standard. But I also rarely drink myself. Last night was the first beer I had in over 5 years. But I was hot, sweaty and ordered wings. Damn right it required a beer!

However when you are a CEO, image is everything. You need to be viewed as a rock of stability when you are under attack. You need to remove any doubt that you are a risk factor.

Maybe it's just me, but if it's legal, who gives a FF. What people do in their spare time is their own business, if he is medicating to reduce stress that may be a good thing as long as it isn't excessive. It's like Gunn with GotG his thoughts are his own so are his beliefs, if he wants to make an off color joke on his social media account that is his not Marvel's or Disney's belifs or property, like it or not there is a thing called the 1st amendment, too many SJW with a stick shoved in their arse your parents and grandparents did worse when it was legal and the 20's to 80's was the popular rebel period, get over it

Yes it is a double standard. But I also rarely drink myself. Last night was the first beer I had in over 5 years. But I was hot, sweaty and ordered wings. Damn right it required a beer!

However when you are a CEO, image is everything. You need to be viewed as a rock of stability when you are under attack. You need to remove any doubt that you are a risk factor.

You went 5 years without eating wings?

Whether he inhaled or NOT is not the point. It's the image it portrays about his stability and decision making. CEO's need to be golden halo icons, especially when they are under attack.

He is imploding.
He puffed on a hand-rolled cigarette that had a bit a mary-jane in it, and that makes him a pot head? Do you realize how stupid and sanctimonious that makes you sound? Sadly, it probably doesn't.

Any day now we'll actually stop having stigma of a drug that literally zero people have died from overdosing from, doesn't make you aggressive or dangerous, helps people deal with pain, is relaxing, and actually in no way inherently harmful (depending on how you ingest it).

Like seriously guys, fucking get with the times. Weed isn't dangerous. Especially in an interview space.

Where’s the “Ohh God!!! Won’t somebody please think of the children!” meme?

Either way good podcast!

Good. Also, the Joe Rogan podcast is an amazing source of various fascinating people. The most eclectic and positive source of information I have been entertained by.

He puffed on a hand-rolled cigarette that had a bit a mary-jane in it, and that makes him a pot head? Do you realize how stupid and sanctimonious that makes you sound? Sadly, it probably doesn't.
It shows a lapse in judgement when scruitinay is really on him.

That said it shows him as making bad decisions. Pot has some very negative implications associated with it. It doesn't mean he's a pot head. But one incapable of making good decisions. He should have realized how this would have been viewed negatively if he was a pothead or not.

And youre not santimonious when you are right.

it's a good thing we never see the coke fueled parties that other CEO's likely participate in.
I know 5 ceos of large companies. None of them do drugs that I have seen when I've been over. Beers yes. Drugs no.

Im sure he thought nothing of it, its just one pull. People get caught up in outdated ideals, how many talking this down while havin a beer? Jesus folks, its a little mellow herb, not doin lines off the hookers back. Im glad he did, he doesnt give a shit what the stock market thinks, he cares about bringing positive future for humanity, small minded folks have issue with this, look at the big picture, filter out the noise of the day to day.

Im sure he thought nothing of it, its just one pull. People get caught up in outdated ideals, how many talking this down while havin a beer? Jesus folks, its a little mellow herb, not doin lines off the hookers back. Im glad he did, he doesnt give a shit what the stock market thinks, he cares about bringing positive future for humanity, small minded folks have issue with this, look at the big picture, filter out the noise of the day to day.
I would wager most stock holders don't care that he's trying to do good for the world. Just that he is stable and making sound ddecisions so they might get a return on investment. He's cracking under pressure. This is not the first odd behavior. Stock holders need to step in soon before he completely derails.

Do something? Who the fuck do you replace him with?

Again, check out the Joe Rogan podcast. Some really interesting people on it.

Reactions: atom
like this
With all the incredible topics they discussed, and this almost never before direct access to Musk (One of the most important humans alive today) in a comfortable environment, drink in hand, I'm really blown away that the take away here is that he took a puff on a spliff, with potentially the slightest bit of a residual inhale off camera when they panned away. I know it's deliciously clickbaity, but I can't say I was happy to see it as the only focus here on a tech site.

One of the most fascinating topics they discussed was the project Musk is working on to bridge the gap between the human mind and its ability to access all data (aka the internet ect). Right now we are limited to either our thumb(s), for tapping into our phones, our 10 fingers, via keyboard / mouse, or voice commands. He is devising a means of increasing that bandwidth "by an order of magnitude" according to him. Imagine instantly knowing the answer to every question as soon as you think it, having virtually all knowledge ever collected, and the way it would forever change the way we live as humans. Out of all the brilliant ideas he has nurtured over the years, this one is clearly the most far reaching and holds implications beyond our current comprehension.

I loved how they closed out the podcast almost identical to how Bill Hicks used to finally arrive at his one vision for us as humans towards the shows he did near the end of his life, to just love each other and reach forward to explore the stars as a cohesive collective.

With all the incredible topics they discussed, and this almost never before direct access to Musk (One of the most important humans alive today) in a comfortable environment, drink in hand, I'm really blown away that the take away here is that he took a puff on a spliff, with potentially the slightest bit of a residual inhale off camera when they panned away. I know it's deliciously clickbaity, but I can't say I was happy to see it as the only focus here on a tech site.

One of the most fascinating topics they discussed was the project Musk is working on to bridge the gap between the human mind and its ability to access all data (aka the internet ect). Right now we are limited to either our thumb(s), for tapping into our phones, our 10 fingers, via keyboard / mouse, or voice commands. He is devising a means of increasing that bandwidth "by an order of magnitude" according to him. Imagine instantly knowing the answer to every question as soon as you think it, having virtually all knowledge ever collected, and the way it would forever change the way we live as humans. Out of all the brilliant ideas he has nurtured over the years, this one is clearly the most far reaching and holds implications beyond our current comprehension.

I loved how they closed out the podcast almost identical to how Bill Hicks used to finally arrive at his one vision for us as humans towards the shows he did near the end of his life, to just love each other and reach forward to explore the stars as a cohesive collective.

Genious of vision is often marked by a thin line to madness.

Issaac Newton was a introverted recluse
Pablo Picasso possibly bipolar
Ernest Hemmimgway depression +alchohol
Howard Hughes psychosis bipolar
Nikola Tesla dillusional
Steve Jobs meglomania

Nikola Tesla probably understood electricity better than anyone that day. But his visions far exceeded his understanding of the realities of the world. Wireless power on the cheap for everyone was a mad dream of his. Or shooting down enemy airplanes with lightening bolts.

Yeah it's NBD... Unless he loses his security clearance. Then it's fucking hilarious.

He took maybe a puff, didn't inhale, and handed it right back. In a state where it's completely legal.

Fake news. Leave Elon alone.

Except it's not legal on the federal level, and spaceX has contracts with the military. Might have a little problem there.

At least this might explain some of his behavior this year.

Back