Elon Musk Says a Ride on the Boring Company's Tunnels Beneath LA Will Cost $1

Lol, how will this be economically feasible. It costs like a billion dollars for a mile of tunneling...

Lol, how will this be economically feasible. It costs like a billion dollars for a mile of tunneling...
Dunno, that's the cost for local governments to do it which historically is quite a bit more private enterprises doing the exact same thing.

If it's a collab with govt it would've been better to revamp the existing subway infrastructures than to dig thousands more tunnels and weakening the ground foundation in the process.

spacex has nothing to do with tunnels. And it won't make tunneling less expensive and more feasible. I don't know why the relative success of spacex should compel me to take any of his other ideas at face value. They're bullshit until demonstrated otherwise. Believe me I'd be happy if things like bfr, or mars colonization, or the vactrain, or even this $1 transport in your private tunnel would be real. But at this point they just seem like a media whore seeking attention, while the scientifically illiterate mainstream just eats from his palms. What did he produce in terms of the hyperloop so far? A rusty tube, and a few rickety carts that didn't even go fast enough to get any real benefit from a vacuum.

In engineering just because you built one bridge that hasn't collapsed, doesn't mean that all your future plans will be passed without a once-over.

Rockets and electric cars don't have a lot of common either and yet they're botch cheaper now that the big players are starting to react. I don't care about Tesla. I am not rich. What I want is cheaper electric cars. Ones that even small companies can produce while making a profit. Now that's progress.

What's that got to do with tunnels? Well, they seem to have a lot of money and some slick looking machines. Let them have it.

Rockets and electric cars don't have a lot of common either and yet they're botch cheaper now that the big players are starting to react. I don't care about Tesla. I am not rich. What I want is cheaper electric cars. Ones that even small companies can produce while making a profit. Now that's progress.

What's that got to do with tunnels? Well, they seem to have a lot of money and some slick looking machines. Let them have it.
Tesla found a market hole and jumped in it ahead of the lumbering giants, who just now started reacting. But within a few years every big manufacturer will have their own line of electric cars on the market, which probably will mean the end of the line for tesla. They plucked the whiskers of the sleeping lion(s).
While I appreciate what Tesla and Elon did for popularizing electric cars, Tesla is far from an engineering and financial marvel. As far as I know their cars suffer from many quality issues that are unbecoming of a 100k car, and they're yet to turn a profit.

Elon basically re-invents the wheel at every turn and tries to sell it as his idea. Which I don't like much, but if that's the cost of popularizing technology that was left on the drawing board, well I Can live with that. But not everything he pulls from the drawer is solid gold.

Another stupid idea unrelated to Musk that somehow refuses to die is pulling water from the atmosphere. There seems to be new startup every year that does some derivation of the same bullshit, and for some reason the mainstream media still didn't wise up to the fact that it is impossible to beat basic physics.
And the sheeple keeps throwing money at them despite the failure of every one that came before. They promise outlandish numbers, but after burning millions of donations and grants, they always end up with an electric dehumidifier, that is no better than the ones commercially available in every DIY or Home store.
And on top of that solar roadways was still not exposed as a total scam by the mainstream. Which boils my blood.
While musk's ideas are not that stupid, they get the same zero scrutiny attitude from the mainstream I'm not saying throw everything out that he says, but it doesn't hurt to apply a little scepticism.

Last edited:
Tesla found a market hole and jumped in it ahead of the lumbering giants, who just now started reacting. But within a few years every big manufacturer will have their own line of electric cars on the market, which probably will mean the end of the line for tesla. They plucked the whiskers of the sleeping lion(s).
While I appreciate what Tesla and Elon did for popularizing electric cars, Tesla is far from an engineering and financial marvel. As far as I know their cars suffer from many quality issues that are unbecoming of a 100k car, and they're yet to turn a profit.

Elon basically re-invents the wheel at every turn and tries to sell it as his idea. Which I don't like much, but if that's the cost of popularizing technology that was left on the drawing board, well I Can live with that. But not everything he pulls from the drawer is solid gold.

Another stupid idea unrelated to Musk that somehow refuses to die is pulling water from the atmosphere. There seems to be new startup every year that does some derivation of the same bullshit, and for some reason the mainstream media still didn't wise up to the fact that it is impossible to beat basic physics.
And the sheeple keeps throwing money at them despite the failure of every one that came before. They promise outlandish numbers, but after burning millions of donations and grants, they always end up with an electric dehumidifier, that is no better than the ones commercially available in every DIY or Home store.
And on top of that solar roadways was still not exposed as a total scam by the mainstream. Which boils my blood.
While musk's ideas are not that stupid, they get the same zero scrutiny attitude from the mainstream I'm not saying throw everything out that he says, but it doesn't hurt to apply a little scepticism.

Seems to me all you have here is criticism on a personal level. You don't like the guy and the praises he gets.

Seems to me all you have here is criticism on a personal level. You don't like the guy and the praises he gets.
You couldn't be more wrong, I like the guy, he did a great service to revitalizing interest in space, and also making electric cars popular.

Did you even read trough my post, how is that criticism on a personal level?

What I'm against is the stupid media that picks up everything as is, without questions asked, without applying even the most basic form of scrutiny to it. I don't blame stupid people for being stupid. It would be the journalists job to show them what's viable and what's not. But tech journalists have been consistently failing for years in exposing obvious scams and ideas that go against basic physics.

Back