Elon Musk Plays “Minecraft” Differently Than You Do

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It is becoming more and more clear that Musk is not trolling us with his tunnel plans. This week, it was revealed that he has begun drilling in LA, and now he is demonstrating what he is using to make all of those tunnels. That’s a big machine…

Since December, Elon Musk has been discussing plans to build a tunnel to help avoid LA traffic problems. It's been hard to tell if he was serious about "The Boring Company," but a few days ago Wired reported a test trench was already under construction somewhere in the vicinity of SpaceX's headquarters. Musk tweeted that he would start digging on January 27th, and said during last weekend's Hyperloop that the plan is to increase tunneling by "500 - 1000 percent." Now, (apparently away from the president's economic advisory council meeting) he's posted this picture of a massive digging machine at work, simply titled "Minecraft." So what are you doing with your weekend?

I heard that Chile is a great place for tunnels also. I mean nothing happens in Chile.

The most earthquake state in the US and Elon wants to build tunnels. I think I would rather be above ground, even if its a small quake.

It's a little counter intuitive, but underground is more structurally safe than above ground. There is a lot more reinforcement from the ground around you than air, so it's harder to hit resonant frequencies that cause things to start falling apart.

It's a little counter intuitive, but underground is more structurally safe than above ground. There is a lot more reinforcement from the ground around you than air, so it's harder to hit resonant frequencies that cause things to start falling apart.

Ditto. Structural engineering 101 : Vibrations are bad.

Gotta say this for the guy, he doesn't screw around. Maybe we can get him to dig us some of those underground vaults to live in, that I've heard so much about. To avoid Fallout (TM) or something.

Gotta say this for the guy, he doesn't screw around. Maybe we can get him to dig us some of those underground vaults to live in, that I've heard so much about. To avoid Fallout (TM) or something.
The Mexican Cartels are ringing or vibrating Elons phones off the hook or table for some business.

I'm claustrophobic.

Underground drilling ... in earthquake/fault shifting prone CA? Good luck. Maybe this is how he will get around (or under) the coming quasi-slavery H1B Visa fight.

If you think the ground is reliable and predictable, you're horribly mistaken. And ground is an awesome vibration transmitter, loose dirt is a bit different in that it requires a threshold before it starts transmitting. Once vibrations exceed the threshold, game on. Rock doesn't need a threshold. Best natural conduit of vibration is solid rock. maybe overall the tunnel will maintain integrity, but you just need to close off the openning at one point or open it up to water or gas and life will be rough for those inside.

Yeah, it got stuck by a sinkhole in front of it (temporarily).

The sinkhole opened up behind it and stopped work for a few weeks while they investigated. It got stuck for two years after it tried to dig through a metal pipe left behind by an earlier project.

The question that no one has asked being: how long until a creeper sneaks up on him?

This is Tunnel Boring.....

utzTCyo.png

Back