Elon Musk Offers Rare Look inside Model 3 Factory

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
For the first time ever, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has granted network cameras access to his Model 3 production line. In addition to a guided tour of the factory, CBS This Morning had the privilege of interviewing Musk and discussing why he was in “production hell” with the Model 3. Musk also talks about Autopilot and how it will never be perfect in another segment.

High-tech goes in the cars, but it also builds them. The Model 3 assembly line is widely regarded as one of the most robotics-driven on the planet – which is part of the problem. "In some cases, the robots actually slowed the production. Right?" King asked. "Yes, they did... We had this crazy, complex network of conveyor belts... And it was not working, so we got rid of that whole thing," Musk said.

The factory is so advanced it doesn't even produce cars. It's the first post-production car factory in the world. Some call it autoplant, but, just like autopilot, the auto part is kind of iffy.

While I may never actually buy a Tesla - I do want him to succeed. Especially if he can break the car dealership monopoly that some states seem to support.

Without competition, car dealerships will always have crappy service and generally be shady re: pricing / finance numbers games. There's no reason we need to spend 4 hours at a car dealership, ever.

Say what you will about him, he's got drive and passion.

That being said, I can't imagine he's waking up very well rested sleeping on that sofa or the floor of his conference room.

This guy works just like Trump. Elon Musk loves pulling stunts to take the attention away from the negative stuff happening at Tesla. I'm all for breaking the car dealership bullshit don't get me wrong.

This guy works just like Trump. Elon Musk loves pulling stunts to take the attention away from the negative stuff happening at Tesla. I'm all for breaking the car dealership bullshit don't get me wrong.

What an unnecessary and provocative bit of cynicism. Do you spend all of your waking moments just to bash Trump? Sad. Perhaps actually adding to the conversation?

that is one thing i do like about musk, he tackles the issue head on... open about it to the public.

I had not heard about his april fools day joke.. now thats funny.

I'm getting you wrong. Elon isn't a slimey real estate shuffler\sexual predator (probably). He's actually getting shit done. A lot of really cool shit.

How is this a stunt? Is every company that gives a behind the scenes look pulling a stunt?

I'm getting you wrong. Elon isn't a slimey real estate shuffler\sexual predator (probably). He's actually getting shit done. A lot of really cool shit.

How is this a stunt? Is every company that gives a behind the scenes look pulling a stunt?

You’re thinking too literal. For every “cool thing” that Elon Misk does to give him internet points you have some negative Tesla story/accusation/leak that precludes/coincides with it. Tesla roadster into space? Deleting Facebook story? Strictly speaking internet points stuff.

And I see it works quite well...

What an unnecessary and provocative bit of cynicism. Do you spend all of your waking moments just to bash Trump? Sad. Perhaps actually adding to the conversation?

There is a search button. Feel free to check yourself.

Some people just cant stand to see others succeed.

Some people just cant stand to see others succeed.
Tesla isn't making money yet, not sure how that's succeeding. ;)

Personally I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't hate the guy or anything. My gripe is he always starts out with the over ambitious sales pitch, and then reality sets in. Credit to him though that he keeps forging ahead and tackles the issues and doesn't just make excuses. The rabid fans that hang on his every word are the bigger downfall IMO.

Personally I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't hate the guy or anything. My gripe is he always starts out with the over ambitious sales pitch, and then reality sets in. Credit to him though that he keeps forging ahead and tackles the issues and doesn't just make excuses. The rabid fans that hang on his every word are the bigger downfall IMO.

If your only definition of success is making money then sure...

If your only definition of success is making money then sure...
Well it is rather important for a business. We can use the behind schedule and problematic production line metric if you prefer though. ;)

Is it hard seeing the world not just through tunnel vision but through coffee stirring straw vision? Ffs Musk is an incredibly successful person overall and that's reflected in Tesla (and his other projects) whether plebs like it or not.

Well it is rather important for a business. We can use the behind schedule and problematic production line metric if you prefer though. ;)
Dude was able to get a rocket to land vertically and reuse it ... that’s gotta count for something.

Maybe hes not out to make money off it. He has spurred a revolution in the car industry. Isnt that successful?

Either way youre just nit picking. The man is very successful and that makes a lot of people jealous and want to tear him down...

So they are going 24/7 production... I thought they already were! But very nice I hope they work it out even better.

Back